Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: OT help needed.
mandeep_sr

posted on 3/6/03 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
OT help needed.

First a little info. I have currently got a project car on the go. Which I plan to sell to fund a bec powered locost.

The current problem is, I am looking into fitting a engine in the back of my car which is a mk2 golf. So i need some sort of space frame chassis in the back to support a subframe. The engine to be installed is a 2.8 vr6.

Is there someone i can go to for the welding and fabrication work for the rear space frame?

mandeep_sr

posted on 3/6/03 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Do you think someone like mk engineering would consider doing the work? I can't see it being more difficult than welding a locost chassis.
kingr

posted on 4/6/03 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
There are plenty of people who can do this sort of thing for you, it's more a case of if they want to and if you can afford to pay them to do it, trust me, it ain't going to be cheap. Probably a better idea to learn to weld yourself and get some decent kit.

Don't know about MK, but I can't imagine they'd be interested, I think they're usually pretty busy anyway.

Kingr

James

posted on 4/6/03 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mandeep_sr
First a little info. I have currently got a project car on the go. Which I plan to sell to fund a bec powered locost.

The current problem is, I am looking into fitting a engine in the back of my car which is a mk2 golf. So i need some sort of space frame chassis in the back to support a subframe. The engine to be installed is a 2.8 vr6.

Are you doing a twin engine golf?

The June2000 issue of The Golf had an article about one- was very cool with 800+bhp and over 200MPH!

Good Luck,

James

Alan B

posted on 4/6/03 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
The trouble with anything like this is how well spec'd out the work is...if you have it well drawn up exactly what you want it should be easy to get a quote.....(I agree, though probably not cheap)

If your plan is a little vague, then in effect you're asking for design work too, and unless really nailed down what your expectations are it is a recipe for disaster....

To be honest. by the time you have water tight specs., you could do it yourself...

[Edited on 4/6/03 by Alan B]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mandeep_sr

posted on 4/6/03 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
James mine will be a a single mid engined golf. Your thinking of Dubsports twin engined mk3 golf. Which has two vr6 engines both with turbo chargers. I have seen that thing go down the quarter mile, it's quick!

I have a budget just for the rear space frame work. If I can't find someone capable of doing the work then I'll have to go the conventional route. I have never done any welding work before so don't really trust my own work.

I plan to do the engine install myself, but suppose if push came to shove I'll have to do a bit of BIY.

derekf

posted on 4/6/03 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Draw a simple frame to mount the engine. use a design like Staniforths Terrapin. It mounted a mini lump so it should be good enough.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 5/6/03 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
According to The Golf magazine article they used a MKII subframe to mount the engine in the rear.

I'm no expert so I'd be interested to know what you'll gain from doing all this? The end result is (performance wise) going to be the same as a standard MKIII presumably so what will you gain in handling?
I've heard the handling of a MKIII isn't that great but if that's all you want then just build/buy a Locost!

In fact, as this is a Locostbuilders forum I think I should tell you to sell all the golf bits and replace it with an MK Indy or a Luego.

Cheers,

James

mandeep_sr

posted on 5/6/03 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
I had a load bits for sale but I think it would be easier to sell one thing rather than 10 items.

The mk2 golf is lighter than the mk3 so therefore improving performance instantly. The problem with having the vr6 in the front is it upsets handling. It makes the mk2 front-end heavy which ultimately causes understeer. By having the engine in the back I will improve handling by having a better weight distribution.

The type of subframe is not the problem. It's what the subframe should bolt upto in the rear.

Derekf I did a quick search for info on Staniforths Terrapin, but not much info available.

I did find this site which is interesting

http://homepage.mac.com/johnmarchant/

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.