Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: why do your wheels have to be covered
zxrlocost

posted on 13/11/06 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
why do your wheels have to be covered

as above really I cant get my head around why its so important your wheels are covered by a fibreglass arch that would snap into bits if anything touched it anyway!!??

I am right you cant have bare wheels at all arent I

even though Ive already done the sva

??

its queries for next time

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Humbug

posted on 13/11/06 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed that a Seven cycle wing isn't that strong but them's the rules! Apart from SVA, I think you would fail MOT, just like if you have a chav tintop with wide tyres extending sideways out of the wheel arches.

Plus personally I wouldn't fancy having totaly open front wheels to throw up enve more shite off the road...

Kissy

posted on 13/11/06 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Correct, the road contacting width has to be covered for a certain % of the periphery (somebody help me out here). Same applies to trailers. Purely safety, debris, rain etc etc.
02GF74

posted on 13/11/06 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
On a land rover, even with wheels covered, the sides will get caked in mud as the tyre will get outside the arch when steering - won;t have that in a 7 where the arches move in sympathy with the wheel but there to illustrate that muck will get thrown up by them.
russbost

posted on 13/11/06 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
I have been reliably told, but haven't been able to establish the veracity (don't know if it's true either) that in fact for road use you do NOT require mudguards. However if it rains you then do - could be a bit tricky if an unexpected shower catches you out!
This is backed up by the fact that at the American car nite we sometimes go to at the Dick Turpin A127 there have been at least 3 "hot rod " type vehicles that have no wheel covering at all - one lives local to me & tells me he's never been nicked for it - he agrees only required when wet!
They are obviously required for SVA & MoT, but not part of construction & use - I believe.

[Edited on 13/11/06 by russbost]

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
lexi

posted on 13/11/06 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
The law was changed after the Romans defeated Boadicea
Alex

steve m

posted on 13/11/06 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
There are other querys to contend with

It is not mandatry to have windscreen wipers, nor windscreen washers, yet if fitted they must conform to a MOT standard,
equally if lights are fitted they must work, if not fiited it cant fail !!

these little gems were relayed to me when i was building my car by a semi retired MOT tester (not retarded)

there are probabley more, but i dont recall them

Peteff

posted on 13/11/06 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
It is not mandatry to have windscreen wipers, nor windscreen washers,

I can't find anywhere that says this but I have found that a vehicle with a windscreen can't pass type approval without wipers, washers and demist unless the screen folds down.
SVA tests the conformity to construction and use and states that you need front wings which cover the wheels so they must be a part of construction and use, I know I was warned by the police for not having one on a motorcycle years ago and a friend was told to get some fitted to his trailer recently. Your mate who has never been nicked for not having any has just been lucky so far I think. Does he get MOT without them?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

DIY Si

posted on 13/11/06 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
There do seem to be a lot of open wheeled hot rods around Billing Aquadrome most weekends in the summer, and I have yet to see one get pulled. There has to be some loop hole to allow it surely?

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

russbost

posted on 17/11/06 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Construction & use, SVA & MoT are 3 completely different sets of regs.
For instance at SVA you do NOT require a horn & providing your tyres have the correct speed rating they can be bald YES BALD, fact told to me by SVA examiner (Mr Bl**dy Picky I think his name was!!!).
For Mot (& SVA) if you have no windscreen, or a fold down one you don't need wipers washers or demist, however that doesn't stop you from driving the car with the screen up when it's hissing with rain! If you turn up for MoT with no headlights they cease to be part of the test - but you'd never get thro' SVA without them. Hence as you can see they each interpret stuff differently. I was until about 2 months ago an MoT tester & have read the SVA manual from cover to cover several times (& wrote an article for Kitcar mag), but know very little about construction & use - I did have a copy of the construction & use regs once (& jolly exciting they were too - NOT), but unfortunately that was about 20 years ago & they would be long out of date even if I'd still got them.
If anyone's got any more info on open wheels I'd be interested to hear it.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.