Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Stupidity or vindictiveness?
Macbeast

posted on 14/11/06 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
Stupidity or vindictiveness?

Haringey Council in North London have installed a bollard at the entrance to the workshop of an engineering company here, to prevent them moving vehicles in or out.

This makes it rather difficult for the company to carry on their business and the boss says he may have to shut up shop.

A council spokesman is reported to have said that the pavement is for pedestrians, not for vehicle access.

The same council ignores cyclists riding on the pavements and its own vans park anywhere they like: double yellows, zig-zags at crossings and on the pavement.

Perhaps they see motor sport as a pursuit for moneyed hooray henrys?

Hmm, why can't I see the picture ? It's at my pictures, labelled bollard

[Edited on 14/11/06 by Macbeast]

owelly

posted on 14/11/06 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
I see the picture!! And I also see the curbstones. They don't appear to have been lowered to allow access to the garage. It may well be that there is no vehicular access across the pavement and that is why the bollards are there!!
There was a lot of local press a couple of years ago, when the council went around removing peoples wooden ramps/chocks etc that had been placed to allow cars to drive up curbs and over pavements to allow access to peoples drives. The driveways were not on any deeds and as such, didn't excist in the eyes of the council. Those roads are now full of badly parked cars!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Wadders

posted on 14/11/06 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
I'm afraid if that was me the stihl saw would be
getting an airing. council tossers what a waste of public money.

owelly

posted on 14/11/06 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
Or drive through the hedge.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt_claydon

posted on 15/11/06 at 12:04 AM Reply With Quote
To be fair it's normal to have to apply to have access over the pavement and have the kerb lowered, since this clearly hasn't been done here then the owner doesn't really have anything to complain about.

If on the other hand he has applied and generally be f**ked around by the council as per standard practice then he has a right to be peed off!

JackNco

posted on 15/11/06 at 12:19 AM Reply With Quote
What a waste. unless they have had complaints but couldn't they just ask them to pay for the curb to be lowered and paper work be signed? then everyones happy

John

Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun.
O'Rourke, P.J. (1989), Holidays in hell. London (Picador)

SixedUp

posted on 15/11/06 at 01:19 AM Reply With Quote
Pass the angle-grinder ...
Cheers
Richard

Confused but excited.

posted on 15/11/06 at 01:35 AM Reply With Quote
Typical petty bureaucratic tossers!
They would rather close a business and put people out of work, rather than ask him to pay for an access ramp.
I think it's about time we had another revolution. This time keep the aristos and execute the pen pushers and the effing bean counters!

[Edited on 15/11/06 by Confused but excited.]

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

JackNco

posted on 15/11/06 at 01:40 AM Reply With Quote
i love how they have put another bollard on the side with a fence but the bush will suffice as a bollard.

As for lining people up n shooting them i can think of a few but none of them are in government. give it a few years n we will see riots over something n theres ur chance. personally ive been in one and am not looking forward to it

John

Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun.
O'Rourke, P.J. (1989), Holidays in hell. London (Picador)

ned

posted on 15/11/06 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
I don't have a lowered kerb to my house, I did get a quote from the council about 18months ago (well at least as the paint they used has worn off) and they wanted £1200-1500 to lower the kerb back then.

The driveway was put in by the previous owners and the kerbs have sunk due to being driven over anyway.

I did my own patch to the tarmac when the concrete lorry for the garage base ripped it up. Mate of mine who does tarmacing and groundworks recon's if I do it at the weekend when the council are off I'd get away with doing it myself anyway! He recons it's only £200-300 for the materials.

Parking is a nightmare in my road. I do intend to get the kerb lowered but priorities for that sort of money are elsewhere with the house.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

tks

posted on 15/11/06 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
mhh cut it off

and welld an bolt and nut in the base.

then you can easyly fool them. and at max you pay for the pivot is hacked..

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

scottc

posted on 15/11/06 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JackNco
i love how they have put another bollard on the side with a fence but the bush will suffice as a bollard.

Looks like They've marked the pavement in front of the hedge ready for another bollard though

thunderace

posted on 15/11/06 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
use the 1 second removal tool toyota hilux + chain.
Guinness

posted on 15/11/06 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
It probably comes down to a monopoly.

The company should have applied to the council to get the kerb lowered. This would allow them to carry on their business as usual. However as the council are the only people you can apply to they will take their time to respond and have no interest in the company at all. The decision will be based on some arbritary rule with no regard to the actual effect on the company.

Then they will tell you how much it will cost. As their own public works department are the only people approved to do the work, and are the only people who have quoted for it, the cost will be extortionate.

Typical of any dealings with a statutory authority who have a monopoly on something. Just try dealing with BT!

Mike

Coose

posted on 15/11/06 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
And the bizarre thing is that if they employ a sub-contractor to do anything they'd probably require three different quotes!

There's nowt like having two sets of rules....

Spin 'er off Well...

PeterW

posted on 15/11/06 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guinness
As their own public works department are the only people approved to do the work, and are the only people who have quoted for it, the cost will be extortionate.

Typical of any dealings with a statutory authority who have a monopoly on something. Just try dealing with BT!

Mike

I had a similar thing a while ago, with a new driveway required over a grass verge. No kerb drop, just 12ft of edging, half a bag of hardcore and 5 sqm of tarmac...

Quote from the council...? £360... Was told that 'no-one else could do it' as they wouldn't have public works insurance, roadways certificates, etc etc.

Anyway, the guy that came to give me a quote for the rest of the driveway, from the pavement edge to my garage, said to me 'Thats bo&&ocks !! We have all that cover, and in fact, with your local council, we would have been subbed in to do the work..!! And we are motorway contractors...'

So this morning, my whole drive from garage to road was completed, including the verge piece.... for £350....!

You can beat em at their own game if you know how...!

Cheers

Peter

PeterW

posted on 15/11/06 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
Haringey Council in North London have installed a bollard at the entrance to the workshop of an engineering company here, to prevent them moving vehicles in or out.

This makes it rather difficult for the company to carry on their business and the boss says he may have to shut up shop.

A council spokesman is reported to have said that the pavement is for pedestrians, not for vehicle access.

The same council ignores cyclists riding on the pavements and its own vans park anywhere they like: double yellows, zig-zags at crossings and on the pavement.

Perhaps they see motor sport as a pursuit for moneyed hooray henrys?

Hmm, why can't I see the picture ? It's at my pictures, labelled bollard

Just looked at this again....

I'm sure that this constitutes obstruction under the Road Traffic Act... You are legally allowed to drive over a verge or pavement that is within 15 metres of a road, if it is for the purpose of parking a vehicle on your land.

May be worthwhile getting the guy to go and see the local plod shop, as watching plod prosecute local councils is always fun...

Cheers

Peter

t.j.

posted on 15/11/06 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
What a crap!

Aren't there any normal law which gives you the possibility to get a legal drive-way over the pavement?

It can't be serious that there is a legal company with no acces to his area!!

Or is this company making the p*ss by false parking and that they looked for a way to get the company closed?

NS Dev

posted on 15/11/06 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
No issue for me, would be ripped out the day it went up!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

MikeRJ

posted on 15/11/06 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Bloody pikeys will steal anything these days, even bollards
Peteff

posted on 16/11/06 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
We don't have all the facts to pass a verdict I think. Any firm can carry out the kerb lowering as long as they have planning permission and public liability insurance. I can't understand how the business was granted a license to trade from the premises before the access was sorted, how long have they been trading and are the premises rated as a business, is this your premises ?

[Edited on 16/11/06 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

James R

posted on 16/11/06 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scottc
quote:
Originally posted by JackNco

Looks like They've marked the pavement in front of the hedge ready for another bollard though

Macbeast

posted on 16/11/06 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
According to the boss, the business has been there for 25 years. No doubt he pays business rates which will be lost to the council if he does decide to close down.

They restore classic and racing cars so it's not as if there are dozens of vehicle movements across the pavement every day.

If he now applies for a crossing he will be charged for the supply, installation and subsequent removal of the bollard.

PeterW

posted on 17/11/06 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
According to the boss, the business has been there for 25 years. No doubt he pays business rates which will be lost to the council if he does decide to close down.

They restore classic and racing cars so it's not as if there are dozens of vehicle movements across the pavement every day.

If he now applies for a crossing he will be charged for the supply, installation and subsequent removal of the bollard.

Sorry, but I would go via the route of obstruction direct to the police.

If he has been there for 25 years, and the council has never made a single complaint, they CANNOT stop him without good cause and due notice.

Under the Road TRaffic Regulations Act, you have right of way across a pavement to park on your own land, as explained earlier.

Cheers

Peter

Macbeast

posted on 17/11/06 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Peter, I'll pass it on
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.