Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What digi camera to buy
westf27

posted on 19/11/06 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
What digi camera to buy

Daughter wants a digi camera and photo printer.Should be easy to use and produce good pics.Any suggestions gladly accepted as this is alien to me.

lotustwincam

posted on 19/11/06 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Lots of reviews at

www.DPReview.com

JackNco

posted on 19/11/06 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
i have a nikon 4MP camera, its been replaced now with the L7 i think but i coudlnt have been happier with it.

I have a friend that works in jessops n ill ask him to recommend something

John

Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun.
O'Rourke, P.J. (1989), Holidays in hell. London (Picador)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Avoneer

posted on 19/11/06 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
See here:

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=53386

I ended up with a Pentax Optio M20.

Hope that helps,

Pixmania seems to do the best deals.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Avoneer

posted on 19/11/06 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Odly agreeing for once !!!

Now that's a miracle

Strangely enough, it was partly 'cause of what you said I ended up with the M20 - and it's fine!

See, I don't believe everything they say about you CaLviNx.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

theconrodkid

posted on 19/11/06 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
i was going to get a printer with my new kodak,shop fella advised against it,you get better/cheaper pics at tesco/jessops etc

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Confused but excited.

posted on 19/11/06 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
You can't really go wrong with the Sony Cybershot or, my mate has just bought the 8.1 megapixel Hitachi which is brilliant.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

JackNco

posted on 19/11/06 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
You can't really go wrong with the Sony Cybershot or, my mate has just bought the 8.1 megapixel Hitachi which is brilliant.

Gotts disagree there. i knwo quite a few photographers n they all say the samething. sony dont know jack about cameras, yes they might be high MP but the lenses and CCDs are meant to be awful, STAY AWAY from anything sony make with a lense. that includes CD Roms and DVD players

Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun.
O'Rourke, P.J. (1989), Holidays in hell. London (Picador)

Werner Van Loock

posted on 19/11/06 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure you get a camera that has fast acting AF and quick shot to shot ratings. And the best advice is try before you buy. If the shop doesn't let you try it out, just go elsewhere. There's nothing worse then buying a camera that you don't like afterwards. My current camera is a 7 year old kodak dc5000 (weather resistant and shockproof) it's only 2MP and 3x optical zoom, but takes very good pictures. I got a nikon coolpix 5600 for a while and it was a complete shite camera, terrible shot to shot rating (waiting up to 11s between shots!!!) and AF was also slow, so unable to take a surprise shot.

So I'm still with the DC5000 and got the nikon back to the shop, got me money back.

http://www.clubstylus.be

akumabito

posted on 19/11/06 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Make it either a Canon or a Nikon. Whatever you do, buy a camera from a dedicated camera manufacturer instead of a general electronics brand. The 'real' camera manufacturers use much better lenses and optical chips. Go for quality over quantity Megapixels mean absolutely NOTHING if the lens and chip are lousy.
Marcus

posted on 20/11/06 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure about the Sony lens thing - I agree they can't make lenses, BUT Carl Zeiss can and fits them to Sony cameras!

Saying that, I bought a Canon A700, excellent bit of kit with a 6x optical zoom.

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

chriscook

posted on 20/11/06 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a Canon S2 IS and very happy with it 12x optical zoom, image stabilisation and can manual override all settings. I use it instead of my Canon SLR. One of the features I was after is the screen which you can fold out and move around - its great for taking candid shots.

GF has a Pentax option WPi which is also good- not so many features but is a lot smaller and is waterproof to about 5m - so great for the beach/watersports. Pics not quite as good as the Canon but its cheaper and fulfills a different role.

The two together cover pretty much every occasion - although the canon could do with the lens being wider at is widest setting.

The answer depends on budget and what its intended use are really.

Confused but excited.

posted on 20/11/06 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JackNco
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.

Gotts disagree there. i knwo quite a few photographers n they all say the samething. sony dont know jack about cameras, yes they might be high MP but the lenses and CCDs are meant to be awful, STAY AWAY from anything sony make with a lense. that includes CD Roms and DVD players

I have friends with both these cameras and they think they are brilliant. I have seen superb quality, high res pictures taken with the Sony Cybershot. Everyone has their own preference. If you think Ziess lenses are crap, so be it.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.