Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Flywheels
thomas4age

posted on 27/11/06 at 01:05 AM Reply With Quote
Flywheels

Hey, all

I have just bought a lexus 1uzfe v8 engine, but them jap b*st*rds couldn't be tempted to make a manual version on the engine, so I only have a flexplate.

I could have a flywheel made-up but that would be quite expensive.

one could slot the mounteningbolt holes in a 3sge flywheel, but that seems not really an option at 8000rpm.

since there are an enourmous amount of different flywheels from various production cars, I just can't believe that there's nothing around with the same bolt pattern.
the spigot hole diameter is not important (can make to fit) and ringgear position is also not an isue (I will be using a adaptor that can take the starter)

but where to find drawings of boltpaterns? or can I order a blank somewhere at a reasonable price?

grtz Thomas

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start either.

budge

posted on 27/11/06 at 05:54 AM Reply With Quote
I have a vague recollection of a copy of CCC from around the mid 90's which featured an Australian re-engineered Mazda MX5 with a Lexus V8 and a manual gearbox which was sold in limited numbers.
Syd Bridge

posted on 27/11/06 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Try the usa hot rod mags and such. You'll probably get a flywhel complete off the shelf for less$ than £.
Johnmor

posted on 27/11/06 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Clutch!!!

I think the fly wheel will have to reflect the clutch plate you intend to use. No point in fitting a flywheel and then finding the clutch friction area is too small.

If you are willing to change the ring gear allignment then i would sort out the suitable clutch and gearbox then worry about the fly wheel.

NS Dev

posted on 27/11/06 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by budge
I have a vague recollection of a copy of CCC from around the mid 90's which featured an Australian re-engineered Mazda MX5 with a Lexus V8 and a manual gearbox which was sold in limited numbers.

You do indeed remember correctly, you'll be thinking of one of these:

Bullet Cars V8 MX5 Linky

They have an off-the-shelf flywheel listed at $370 (which sounds like more than you could get a steel one made for to me)

[Edited on 27/11/06 by NS Dev]

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

MikeRJ

posted on 27/11/06 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
They have an off-the-shelf flywheel listed at $370 (which sounds like more than you could get a steel one made for to me)

Sounds quite reasonable to me as long as they are Austrailian dollars, which makes the cost about £150. Less than the price of a new steel flywheel for e.g. a Pinto.

However, shipping would no doubt cost a fair bit and there's always a chance of being screwed by customs.

thomas4age

posted on 29/11/06 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
having a lead on a BMW M5 3.6L flywheel now, it's a 8bolt but just need to measure up.

I can get clutches for that flywheel upto over a 1000hp so that's not a problem.

grtz Thomas

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start either.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.