Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Stereo
shortie

posted on 27/11/06 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Stereo

A mate of mine is currently building an Indy and has just installed a stereo as he likes his tunes.

Problem is that he is having problems fitting the scuttle and battery tray with the stereo in place.

Here's a pic, he has asked me to post to see if anyone else had had similar issues.

Exhaust Trail Fit - Ancillaries Fit Nice!!
Exhaust Trail Fit - Ancillaries Fit Nice!!

Any help greatly appreciated.
thanks, Rich.

Johnmor

posted on 27/11/06 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
How's he going to reach the controls?

02GF74

posted on 27/11/06 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
that's not very clever, you want the speakers facing towards you

[Edited on 27/11/06 by 02GF74]

shortie

posted on 27/11/06 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
I think he was worried about engine noise so thought it best to face the speakers towards the engine.
Hellfire

posted on 27/11/06 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
If he gets rid of all that scrap metal in the engine bay and fits a nice powerful compact bike engine, there'd be plenty of room to fit his stereo without having to worry about his scuttle and battery tray.

DarrenW

posted on 27/11/06 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
If he gets rid of all that scrap metal in the engine bay and fits a nice powerful compact bike engine, there'd be plenty of room to fit his stereo without having to worry about his scuttle and battery tray.

Predictable????????? you decide

greggors84

posted on 27/11/06 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
I like his choice of engine. I think will be my next engine after finding out (from a website!) that the engine weighs only weighs 81kg. Thats 55kg less than my pinto.

Has he had many problems with the install? Has he done any mods? Im interested what sort of power can be had with what mods.

Sorry for the hijack.

Maybe if he has the stereo under the roll bar, for proper ghetto blaster style!

DEAN C.

posted on 27/11/06 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon he should lose the tapedeck and downsize the speakers and it should just fit with a squeeze.
I didn't those Ford engines sounded that horrible though! Perhaps he should fit a nice screaming Toyota.

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

bob

posted on 27/11/06 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
I cant believe he's only got that far,SVA rules will change before he gets that on the road.

As for the stereo,can he plug a mike in it ?

Facing that way he will be able to do some party political broadcasts

seadog

posted on 27/11/06 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Blaaaah!! You don't want a bike engine HELLFIRE there for women and for popping round the shops in!! What you want is a proper man's engine especially if you've got to transport SHORTIES fat arse in it when this is complete!!

A very funny comment though HELLFIRE, made us all chuckle a work

GREGGORS84 - I'll email you later mate for a chin-wag and give you the good & bad points of the SE.

greggors84

posted on 27/11/06 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Seadog!

Just been offered a 51 plate engine with 30k Excellent working condition apparently.

£400, worth it?

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

seadog

posted on 27/11/06 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hello mate,

The engine sounds fab however £400 may sound a tad heavy. I paid around the same amount and mine and too came out of a 51 plate however with only 11,000 on the clock and this is also going back a few months now.

Does it included ALL of the ancillaries and shipping? If so then to be fair it sounds about right, thinking about it I think mine came in for around the £425 mark all in.

You can get them cheaper, I have heard of one going for around the £250 mark but that was a high miler and didn't include the shipping. I'm personally happy to pay the extra premium for a low miler. I did however managed to get hold of a second SE for £31.09 on eBay which to be fair was a total fluke. He had it as a 'Buy It Now' for £90 but as soon as the first bid went in this disapeared however it did give you an idea what they were after for it.....I couldn't believe my luck!!

When I went to pick it up it was from a workshop kitted out like the 'Fast and the Furious'. The dealt in mainly sooping up Jap motors to the 9's....700 horses plus so they just wanted shot of it.

It was sold as a non-runner however only because they could get it to fire with no fuel system in place, so for all I know this could be a real gem for the money.....something for me to play with sometime in the future. It came with all the ancillaries (Starter motor, Alternator, power steering pump, AC pump) which some I can obviously throw back onto eBay.......even the gearbox came with it!!

Feel free to have a nose at my photo archive, I took it to bits this weekend and the pics are uploaded onto the November Build folder.

By the way, make sure things like hoses, engine wiring, fuel rail, flywheel, clutch cover plate and the clutch also come with it. Can you beleive the monkeys I bought it off of took all these bits off. The whole reason for getting such a low miler was that wouldn't have to worry about replacing the clutch for example but the F*ckwits to them off. I believe the SE flywheel is a one off size designed only for the SE so what they want with the flywheel I'll never know...Maybe to give to the Mothering-In-Law as an ashtray for her birthday or something!!! They did however deliver all of the missing parts mentioned however they didn't come off the original engine Suprise! Suprise! so that's why I'm so chuffed with this additional engine as there are so many really good bits I can transfer onto the No.1 SE.

Feel free to either reply, U2U or email me with any other questions mate

Cheers

Seadog

greggors84

posted on 27/11/06 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the reply.

Thought I would keep the conversation on the forum, then it can be found by other people too.

Had a good look through your photos, takes me back to the day when I picked up my chassis!

Looks like the gearbox sits the same position as mine with the pinto so means I can use the same mounts and prop.

Few Qs if you dont mind answering them.

Where did you get the bellhousing?

Are you getting your exhaust through MK (Engineering?)

Are you keeping the standard intake system for the moment?

The mounts look similar to pinto ones, did they fab some new ones or use an existing set from another engine?

Will be keeping an eye out for bargain engines, the £400 one didnt include shipping, its not advertised anywhere so will think about it. Depends how big my next paycheck is too!

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

seadog

posted on 27/11/06 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris,

The bellhousing came from Westfield. I did however originally have my order with www.shawspeed.co.uk who I would highly recommend however after around 6 weeks of waiting I think it was due to his supplier having probs getting hold of the blanks at the time so he could finish it off on his his lathe etc etc. The issue for me was that I had to get hold of one ASAP as I was picking up the kit in a few days and needed to be armed with engine and bell housing so the MK guy's could position the engine / gearbox and fabricate the engine brackets. In the end I went with Westfield as they had one off the shelf. Shawspeed at the time were selling it for around £230 however I had to pay a premium for the westfield one of £270. Quantum by the way are another supplier however I don't think they had any in stock at the time when I was looking.

The exhaust was (let me emphasise WAS!!) from MK however when we went up to pick the kit the exhaust too was supposed to be fabricated at MK on the day however dispite saying it was a Zetec SE I was using they took it onboard it was a Zetec not knowing there would be a difference. The older Zetec exhaust manifold comes out of the nearside however the Zetec SE comes out of the offside. The manifold pipes were already fabricated to shape from a 3rd party supplier rendering it useless. After a few months waiting I eventually managed to get my hands on the exhaust a couple of weeks back at the Exeter show and the pics you looked at were with me fitting them last Friday.

The standard of this exhaust was a bit shoddy shall we say. As you probably saw for some random reason they cut one of the pipes leading up to the manifold and did a very poor join which resulted in a small hole in the seam of the weld....I was spiting feathers!!

To be fair to MK they were fabricating this from a jig they had put together whilst we were up there picking up the chassis on the day and hats off to them for doing a sterling job getting the pipes out via the side panel and not obstructing the lower steering column.

I called them up today and they offered me a full refund so I cant complain.

In hinesight I would recommend going for a differnet brand of exhaust as what wasn't taken into concideration was the cat. Obviously these engines are post 94 therefore will need a cat however your motor is already registered therefore I dont know if you may be able to get round this via a loophole??? Maybe worth looking at.

Yes to the standard intake. I'm keeping the whole system standard however when the car is complete my winter project shall we say is to replace the cams.

I'm going to go through Shawspeed for my setup. As standard in a Ford the Zetec SE will kick out around 100HP, with the Omex ECU supllied by Shawspeed this will kick it up to around 120HP with making any mods to the engine. The plan eventually is to again go via Shawspeed, get some up-rated cams which will with a map supplied by Shawspeed bump the horses to around a lovely 170HP

The SE is good up to around 210 - 220 horses I beleive until you have to start doing some serious mods to the engine, but 170 will do me fine

The mounts are what was supplied by MK and I would be suprised that yes the ones you currently have are perfect for the job.

Are you sticking with injection or are you looking at going down the carb route?

Mark

[Edited on 28/11/06 by seadog]

seadog

posted on 28/11/06 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Chris,

While I think of it, have you tried www.247spares.co.uk?

These are who I went through and found very successful....just make sure you have a pen and lots of paper handy as for around half an hour the phone wont stop ringing with breakers calling up.

Mark

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.