Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Floor boards
Guinness

posted on 27/11/06 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
Floor boards

Floor boards.

Swimbo and I are re-decorating the living room and dining room. They have already been knocked through into one big room by the previous owners. It's a victorian terrace. Things are getting a little out of hand! We have just had a new DPC put in and now we want bare timber floors instead of carpet.

At the moment we have all the floor boards up, and are busy replacing all the joists below. We think we have enough good "old" boards to do the dining room in reclaimed boards, but can only afford new boards for the living room.

Question is, if I buy new floorboards from a timber yard, will I need to sand them before I stain and varnish them?

Also we are planning on insulating under the floor, what's best insulation quilt or polystyrene?

Cheers

Mike

DarrenW

posted on 27/11/06 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
I assume you have already tried the reclamation yards like O'Briens in Boldon etc. i would be surprised if their reclaimed raw boards are much more than new. if they are not too unusual ref width i wonder if there may be some in the burglars weekly (adtrader etc).

Ref insulation, with wooden floors in old houses - do you need good air circulation? Im no expert but would be concerned that any insulation cut reduce the circulation. If drafts are coming up through the boards i wonder if you can lay a membrane on top of the joists but under the boards.

Peteff

posted on 27/11/06 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
I think you'd be better off putting a concrete sub floor in then a cosmetic float floor in using old floorboards or new ones aged. I would sand them then use Briwax on them to give the colour or effect you want. Briwax is easier to use than stains and varnishes as you can walk on the floor straight away and with a solid sub floor you will not get draughts through the joints and at the sides where the skirtings join.

[Edited on 27/11/06 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Guinness

posted on 27/11/06 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks.

Tried O'Briens, they wanted £35 sq m for boards. They don't have any old board in stock, but will make new ones from reclaimed timber for me?!!?!

We have a 3 foot void beneath the house, which we are clearing of rubble, so we can maintain the airflow under the house, also installing air vents to front and back walls. The idea of the insulation is to fit it between the joists, just beneath the boards.

Peteff, no way could we afford that cube of concrete and work!

Mike

ecosse

posted on 27/11/06 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
For insulation you can use the foil type quilt laid across the joists and pushed about 2" below the floor level (to create an air gap) you could also put additional polystyrene level with the bottom of the joists (again leaving an air gap above).

Although I have to say that if it was me, I would lay a new timber floor on top on the existing floor and insulate between that and the old floor.
Getting a draught free floor using reclaimed timber will be a nightmare, and its a lot of work to sand it all flat and smooth been there, done that, wouldn't do it again

But good luck with whatever you choose to do
Cheers

Alex

Hellfire

posted on 27/11/06 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
new floorboards are thinner... the tongue and groove is different also. My house is over 100 years old and getting anything to fit is a nightmare. We are planning on using marine plywood to replace it. Regarding overlaying... I personally would not recommend that as your old boards (if they're like mine) are kind of not exactly flat and would cause more problems than they solve. They may also have woodworm (as some of mine do) and you dont want to give them new wood to chomp on!

My house could do with a total new DPC and I'd like it CWI but I don't have a cavity!

Good luck - Steve

DarrenW

posted on 27/11/06 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
ive seen some polystyrene stuff that you can insulate roof trusses with, its like a concertina pack that you squeeze and push in - i wonder if this would work.

Other option may be to nail lats so far down the joists then lay jablite (lats to stop it falling through). After that all i can think of is some sort of membrane on top of the joists before you lay the boards.

As before im no expert so may need to check up on this with a builder or perhaps the local building inspector (they are suprisingly helpfull if approached inthe right manner which im sure you can do). When i did some building work our local inspector seemed to be only too pleased to offer help and guidance - they do after all have an interest in making sure the job is done correctly.

There may even be some other local experts who can advise, im guessing its not old enough for English heritage but someone like that.

Guinness

posted on 27/11/06 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers lads.

Having considered the options I have found my local builders yard have 1200 x 2400 x 50mm polystyrene for £5 a sheet, so 6 of those laid on latts will do the insulation. They also have new redwood floor boards the same thickness as the old ones for £1.35 lin m, so it looks like that's what's going in.

Hmm completley new floor a month before crimbo!

Cheers

Mike

lexi

posted on 27/11/06 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
If you can get under floor after it`s finished a good alternative is Tyvek breathable paper membrane. It`s waterproof and is not a fire hazard like polystyrene. Cut to oversize and fix with SS staple from a gun directly to underside of floorboards. If on a budget ordinary roofing felt could be and was used in the past for this purpose. You only need to
eliminate the updraught through the tongue and groove etc for a nice warm floor.
Alex

Please Note :This user would like to know what you are talking about?

[Edited on 27/11/06 by lexi]

JoelP

posted on 27/11/06 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
b&q currently do a two for one offer on the space blanket stuff, for between joists. Its enclosed in foam and boils down to £7 a roll. I suspect that this would be much more insulating than many other things, as its expands to about 4" thick!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.