Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fast diesel
GavBurns

posted on 2/12/06 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Fast diesel

My everyday car is a Golf gt tdi 150. Has anybody ever built a locost using one of these engines? or is it too big?
The golf does 85mph @ 2100 rpm in 6th and returns 49mpg whilst doing this, could you image the speed and consumption you would get in a locost. The standard engine is 150bhp which is quick for a diesel but with one of these you get 190bhp. http://www.revotechnik.com/products/softwareProduct.aspx?pvID=168 Rescued attachment P1000836.JPG
Rescued attachment P1000836.JPG

Go BEC you'll never look back (literally)!!

Peteff

posted on 2/12/06 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Yes....

But it'll sound like a fork lift truck and weigh as much as a narrowboat.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

hillbillyracer

posted on 2/12/06 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
The winner of the PPC Westfield is going to fit a diesel of some sort, he was picked as winner because of his alternative ideas for the car, the other being a rotary engine.
StevieB

posted on 2/12/06 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
This months PPC has the build progress on the diesel Westy - should be good, but I'd be a bit sceptical about having so much torque in such a light car
hillbillyracer

posted on 2/12/06 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
The current issue doesnt really tell you much, just introduces the bloke & talks about plans for the car.
Johnmor

posted on 2/12/06 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Diesel Locost

I have been a fan of diesel for a long time and driven and owned many diesel cars.

But I dont think they suit a locost.

They have fantastic torque at low revs and huge traction through the gears , but the responce time is lacking in every gear, and although the diesels give a wide torque range, most locosts are driven at higher revs than standard cars and thats when a responsive petrol engine comes in.
Are we really worried about fuel consumption, if range is a problem fit a bigger tank.

If you want to improve miles /gallon then fit a bigger engine , I know it sounds daft but i get around 30 mpg whilst getting 200bhp. thats because the engine does not work very hard when throwing 800kgs of locost around.

I have thought about this before and i think i will stck with the petrol version for the near future.

As a bonus 2nd hand value of a petrol donor is always much cheaper.

skydivepaul

posted on 2/12/06 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
a mate of mine's brother has a diesel westfield. i have seen it and it looks great, sounds poo though!!!!!

He reckons it goes like sh1t off a shovel with loads of low down torque.
I am not sure what engine but i am sure it is a ford turbo diesel

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

pajsh

posted on 2/12/06 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
For what it's worth I had a 150Bhp Bora and loved it.

Wouldn't have a deisel in my locost though.

I used to be apathetic but now I just don't care.

GavBurns

posted on 2/12/06 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
My impressions of a diesel engine was the same has most people, but I have seen them in a different light know i've got the gt tdi 150, its very responsive and pulls like a train in all gears and upto the redline. It's a hell of alot quicker than most petrol engines. But I must admit it's no bike engine.

RazMan

posted on 2/12/06 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
I was seriously considering using a diesel when I was designing my car - I love to be a bit different when ever I can just for the hell of it.
Having owned several diesel turbos (presently a 3 series 325 td) I am constantly reminded of the effortless way the engine pulls (174bhp and buckets of torque) It suprises a lot of so-called sports cars and still does 35mpg despite being chipped.
Having said all that I am glad I stuck to a petrol V6 in my kit - the sound of a diesel just doesn't float my boat

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 2/12/06 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Gav - I have the same 150 TDI engine in my Leon and yes it realigned my thoughts on diesel driving. For tin top/everyday driving (IMHO) you can't beat a top notch diesel, low revs, easy overtaking and high mpg.

But I'm not sure about in a 7 type car - too noisy, smelly and heavy plus the low down torque and turbo rush would have you kicking around all over the show

GavBurns

posted on 2/12/06 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
True.
I was thinking of something like a tourer rather than a fast road/track car. I know if I ever did one of those long distance rallies in a kitcar, I'd like to do it in one of those six speed mile munchers.

nasty-bob

posted on 2/12/06 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
I heard that Judd are developing a racing V10 diesel engine for LeMan (I think). Also it supposedly revs to over 6000rpm or something rediculous.

And before you say it, I know, diesel doesn't burn fast enough to hit those engine speeds, don't ask me how they do it!

My point being, diesel not such a silly idea.

Just found a link.... it looks pretty...

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/ricardojuddv10.html

hillbillyracer

posted on 3/12/06 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
I saw a Volvo tractor puller at Gt Eccleston years ago & they reckon it revved to 5500rpm. It sounded like it did too
akrallysport

posted on 5/12/06 at 05:19 AM Reply With Quote
Is it just me or has Ricardo completely missed the boat?
Horsepower: 600 bhp @ 6000 rpm
Torque: 627 lb-ft @ 4000-5000 rpm
Audi's 5.5L V12 TDI revs to nearly the same speed, yet produces 175 lb-ft more torque. Peugeot's diesel may be producing even more power than Audi's.

I'd gladly drive a diesel sports car, but not a Seven-esque car. I have a concept for a diesel middy (running on bio-diesel) for commuting, yet can handle like an Elise. Time will only tell if it ever gets off the ground.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 8/12/06 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
There's one major thing missing from the plans......... a suitable gearbox.
I can't think of a VAG RWD car that runs the turbo-diesel engine so the only way you'd do it is by having a custom bellhousing made up, but even then you've got to find a gearbox thats strong enough to take the torque yet small/light enough to go down the tunnel of a Locost.

If you had it mid engined and transversely mounted it would be more feasible, but its a heavy engine and at the end of the day a 150bhp petrol engine'd car will be far easier to fit, much lighter, and just as quick if not quicker, even if it only has half the torque.

ned

posted on 8/12/06 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Only gearbox I can think of would be a tdi audi a4/a6 quattro which is inline with the gearbox suitably modified/welded up to make it 2wd/rwd only.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.