Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Do you need mileometer/trip meter for SVA?
gulf zxr

posted on 3/12/06 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
Do you need mileometer/trip meter for SVA?

I am building a BEC and will be using Kawasaki clocks, well at least the rev counter - question is, as I can't use the speedo due to the drive type I was going to use a digital speedo (cycle type) but do I need a mileometer for SVA or do the cycle type speedos have these as standard? thanks all.
stevec

posted on 3/12/06 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
You need both for SVA and most cycle ones have miles and trip. It also needs to be illuminated and capable of reading up to your declared maximum speed. With documentary evidence to show that.
Steve.

[Edited on 3/12/06 by stevec]

gulf zxr

posted on 3/12/06 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Great Steve, thanks for that, before I start investigating does anyone know the make of an SVA compatable one?
stevec

posted on 3/12/06 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a Sigma Targa from a motorbike shop.
They go up to 180mph and have miles and trip.
I made a little light that would illuminate it.
In the end I changed my mind and bought a Acewell one.Which is illuminated already.
Why not just go for one of them.

gulf zxr

posted on 3/12/06 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Steve, have you still got the Sigma ? Want some beer tokens?
stevec

posted on 3/12/06 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
U2U on its way.
Hellfire

posted on 4/12/06 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Calvinx, as an ex MOT tester and ex UK VOSA tester, what is your opinion?

Phil

MikeRJ

posted on 5/12/06 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
I had a quick scan through the SVA and could only find details of the speedometer accuracy and dial marking requirements. Found nothing on odometer requirements.
iank

posted on 5/12/06 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
I had a quick scan through the SVA and could only find details of the speedometer accuracy and dial marking requirements. Found nothing on odometer requirements.

Glad it wasn't just me that scurried off to read the manual

However I'm not convinced that SVA and MOT test absolutely everything in the construction and use laws, I don't see how they could.

So it remains a possibility that you legally need an odometer but no one actually tests for it.

If the new MOT actually requires an odometer reading to be entered into the computer there is an implied requirement that you have one.

To be honest for all the hassle it could cause it's probably worth getting one anyway.

Hellfire

posted on 5/12/06 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
So back to the question at the beginning of the thread and the answer is NO you don't need an odometer for SVA.

Phil

Hellfire

posted on 5/12/06 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Oooh err.... I wasn't for one minute suggesting that an odometer shouldn't be fitted but if that's how you want to interpret it, then that's fine by me.

It would be interesting to see if anyone has failed SVA for not having an odometer, which in all reality is quite likely given the track record for SVA Inspectors.

Phil

Macbeast

posted on 5/12/06 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
If it were a requirement to have an odometer for SVA or MOT, wouldn't they have to test it ?

I've taken a car to MOT having changed the speedo since the previous test and nobody seemed worried that the odometer showed 40k miles LESS than the previous year.

So again, the answer is "probably not" but I would want one if only to check oil-change times

iank

posted on 6/12/06 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
If it were a requirement to have an odometer for SVA or MOT, wouldn't they have to test it ?

I've taken a car to MOT having changed the speedo since the previous test and nobody seemed worried that the odometer showed 40k miles LESS than the previous year.

So again, the answer is "probably not" but I would want one if only to check oil-change times

As I said I believe there to be a large number of legal requirements that aren't tested at SVA or MOT, doesn't make them any less legally required.

I suspect if you present a car with less miles than last time at the new computerised MOT a metaphorical red light will start flashing at the DVLA, even if the computer allows it to be entered.

The oil change argument is a good one

Peteff

posted on 6/12/06 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Do you need one for your insurance?

If you are on a limited mileage policy surely they want to see some record of your previous mileage, I know mine do. edit:-
My cycle speedo has a resettable odometer but it can also be reset to the previous mileage if you change the battery, to maintain a record of total miles.

[Edited on 6/12/06 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

02GF74

posted on 6/12/06 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaLviNx
..... would it really be worth when for approx £50 you can get a digital speedo with an odometer in it.....

if these are the dial face type, then I'd be interested to know more; all the ones I've found so far are in the £ 120+ price bracket.

MikeRJ

posted on 7/12/06 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Just to try and close this off I asked the legal experts on PistonHeads (need account to view) and the concensus is that there is no requirement for an odometer under SVA or C&U regs.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.