Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: locost with 1600 cvh front suspension spring weight????
westcost1

posted on 5/12/06 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
locost with 1600 cvh front suspension spring weight????

i may of posted in the wrong part here is a link http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=56252
MikeRJ

posted on 5/12/06 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Do you know what spring rates you have fitted currently? Depending on the extact design of your lower wishbones and the upper shock mounting location, somewhere in the region of 250-300lbs should be fine for road use.

Did you have much trouble getting the Westfield bodywork to fit?

Marcus

posted on 5/12/06 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
My crossflow engined Locost runs 225s on the front and 150s on the rear. Handling and balance are spot on!

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
westcost1

posted on 5/12/06 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies I don’t know what the current springs but it sits on on the bump stops at the moment.

“Did you have much trouble getting the Westfield bodywork to fit?”

No it was much easier than I thought I was thinking I would have to hack it up an narrow it as it is a wide body but it just slipped on with only some minor cutting around the inside of the sill that runs up to the roll bar base. I am going to have to widen the arches as the car has I think a cortena rear axle so the rear wheels stick out about 1”

westcost1

posted on 5/12/06 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
here is a pic of fitting the body Rescued attachment small1.jpg
Rescued attachment small1.jpg

westcost1

posted on 5/12/06 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
O yes I forgot I had to chop the back off the chase and shorten it about ¾” Rescued attachment small2.jpg
Rescued attachment small2.jpg

thunderace

posted on 5/12/06 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.andersensmith.freeserve.co.uk/duttontechnical.htm

i have a b type dutton im fitting 180 front and 150 rear for road use.1700 xflow.

MikeRJ

posted on 5/12/06 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thunderace
http://www.andersensmith.freeserve.co.uk/duttontechnical.htm

i have a b type dutton im fitting 180 front and 150 rear for road use.1700 xflow.

The dampers are quite a bit more "upright" on the Dutton though. With the angle that the Locost runs the dampers at, the spring rate is artificialy reduced.

westcost1

posted on 5/12/06 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
Here is the best pic I have at the mo of the suspension Rescued attachment small3.jpg
Rescued attachment small3.jpg

gulf zxr

posted on 5/12/06 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Westcost1,

I'm very interested in your build as I am doing exactly the same with a wide westfield body. I have a book chassis so looks as if I will have to cut the chassis as you have. What wheel offsets do you have?

Where are yo based?

Peteff

posted on 5/12/06 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
Give us a clue.

What weight springs have you got now? I have 250lb springs on a pinto locost but some run a lot higher, over 300lb. Yours look fairly upright so they shouldn't need to be too high.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

procomp

posted on 5/12/06 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Hi the angle of the dampers looks to be not to bad about 30-35 degs. However you have a wishbone desighn with the damper lower bracket quite a long way from the bottom ball joint/wheel so i would guess that at least 300lb would be needed.

cheers matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
westcost1

posted on 5/12/06 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the help I will take the spring off tonight and see if I can see the load marked on the top and get back to you. The wishbones are slightly different to the book here is a link http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=11835 If you whant to have a closer look
MikeRJ

posted on 5/12/06 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
They are GTS Tuning 'bones.
westcost1

posted on 5/12/06 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
They are GTS Tuning 'bones.

i now where to get them next time are thay any good?

MikeRJ

posted on 5/12/06 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
I have a set of those wishbones and they are very well made. Rally Design sells a lot of the GTS tuning bits for the same price, and if they are in stock you will likely get them more quickly than ordering direct IME.

[Edited on 5/12/06 by MikeRJ]

westcost1

posted on 5/12/06 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
ok the springs say 95 175x1.9 so thats why its on the bump stops
procomp

posted on 6/12/06 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
Hi if they are the GTS ones it might be worth cheking the castor as the ones that they do for the westfields only have 2 degs of castor. Although GTS say that there own car has 7 degs. Obviously it's dependant on your chassis pick up points.

cheers matt

MikeRJ

posted on 6/12/06 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
The bones I bought from GTS appear to be totaly symmetrical just like the book design(i.e. ball joint is in the middle of the inner bushes, so bones aren't handed).

Are the westfield wishbones handed?

procomp

posted on 6/12/06 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hi westfield bottom arms are the same but the top are offset to the rear however they will obviously swap from side to side but are not symmetrical.

cheers matt

westcost1

posted on 3/1/07 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Ok I have borrowed a pare of springs from a friend they are 275ld and it is still on the bump stops looks like I will be needing 350 400?? Also when changing the front left spring I noticed the shock was leaking it is a spax shock douse any one now if there are kits to refurbish or should I just by new front shocks? £££££ any ideas on where to get some at a good price?
flak monkey

posted on 3/1/07 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
My pinto gts has 275 up front and 175 up back. Cant tell you what its like on the road, but with no preload on the springs i have about 3.5" ground clearance at the front and 5" at the back. Obviously widing on some preload will raise the front up a bit.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.