Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New tin top suggestions
Pdlewis

posted on 17/12/06 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
New tin top suggestions

Hello,

I'm looking at getting a new (prob second hand) car in the next month as I am doing 20k a year and my girly 206 HDi isn't cutting the mustard on the comfort stakes. I want another diesel with a bit of go.

Currently the only half decent option i have is an Alfa 147 JTD (115 or 120 bhp otherwise the insurance have my pants down) but I'm having problems finding one as they are all the high power versions (which i would love but cant justify) does anyone have any other suggestions? I can spend up to 9K

mookaloid

posted on 17/12/06 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Golf

Seat Leon

Focus

The above should all be ok - but speaking as an Alfa driver myself..........Bite the bullet and get and get the Alfa - you won't be disappointed

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

mark.s

posted on 17/12/06 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
audi a4 tdi avant???? and get it chipped

cheers mark

nick205

posted on 17/12/06 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Have you considered a Seat Leon TDI? maybe not as luxurious as the Alfa, but well built, good choice of engines with 115, 130 or 150bhp. Plenty around to choose from too.
auzziejim

posted on 17/12/06 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
for 9k you'll get a stonking focus TDCi and they drive brilliantly

Rudy

posted on 17/12/06 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at Grande Punto

Sorry about my English

ed_crouch

posted on 17/12/06 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Get an Audi A4 TDI.

DO IT.

Ive driven A3s, Focuses (Foci?), alfa 156 2.0, new Astra, etcetcetc, and none of them are as good as the A4 for long journeys.

It canes all of them for comfort, goes well enough, and can be chipped to make it go pretty well, handles surprisingly well, and is a huge amount of car for the money.

It also has the Audi build quality, which Im afraid none of the above have (including the A3!). Audi trim is the best of the VAG brand cars.

I miss mine (stopped doing the big miles, and couldnt justify it for the 2 miles to my new job every day! It never got above 70C)
Ed.

[Edited on 17/12/06 by ed_crouch]

I-iii-iii-iii-ts ME!

Hurrah.

www.wings-and-wheels.net

nib1980

posted on 17/12/06 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
New Nissan Qashqai??

It's better than people think!

richardR1

posted on 17/12/06 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Vectra 1.9CDti - if you get the 150bhp version it can easily be remapped to nearly 200bhp. Despite what some may have you believe they are a darn good motor. I have the 3.2GSi and they are superbly comfortable and quiet for distance driving. Build quality has been excellent on mine.

MK Owners Club Member 1015

Jon Ison

posted on 17/12/06 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Focus TDCi
martyn_16v

posted on 17/12/06 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
We've got a 147 (the 2.0 petrol one though, doesn't half drink the way the other half drives ), fair to say in terms of reliability it's stereotypically Alfa (i.e. poo) but it does look good and inside is a fairly nice place to be. I wouldn't buy another one, particularly if i was doing any kind of mileage in it, the rattles clonks and other assorted expensive noises would drive me crazy.

So, another vote for something VAG from me

Hellfire

posted on 17/12/06 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
As a high mileage driver and know lots of other high mileage drivers avoid Vauxhall's and Alfa's unless you like services garages. Reliability is way poor (so I'm told). I have a Skoda Octavia 2.0TDI 140bhp. It is well built (typically VW) can be chipped to 185bhp. They can be rather noisy though on motorways at typical fast driving speeds. Other than that they are VERY reliable. I'd go for an A4 or a Golf next time though... primerily due to quality of materials used on Skoda's is inferior to VW's. As an ex-A4 Avant driver, I will say they are simply a cut above... as long as you dont have regular back seat passengers (knee room is minimal)

Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.