Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: sky+
matt.c

posted on 17/12/06 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
sky+

I have already got sky tv and i want to upgrade and have sky+ but they want £100 for the box and £60 fitting charge
Can i just buy sky+ box myself and plug it into my original wires?

Any help on this would be very appreciated

ned

posted on 17/12/06 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
if you recommend sky to a new customer you can get a free upgrade, think you still have to pay the install charge, unless you have the movies and sport or multiroom or something.

sky+ box won't work unless sky set it up as it's tied to your account, not just the functionality in the box as i understand it.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
the_fbi

posted on 17/12/06 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
As part of the upgrade, they need to stick a quad output lnb on your dish, and drop another wire down to where the first one goes.

Tis simple to do yourself and yes you can buy a Sky+ box yourself and do it.

It may be worthwhile considering their current offer, which is £99 for Sky+, free install, as long as you take out the £10/month 2nd room sub.

The free install will drop down 2 cables in the multiroom case, one for the new room and one for the new + box.

You'll also need the extra £10/month for + (I cant remember if multiroom qualifies for getting Sky+ free, movies or sports does).

Without the extra £10, you can live pause and rewind, but thats about it.

matt.c

posted on 17/12/06 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Bugger

I was hoping that wouldn't be the answer.

Looks like i will have to pay the robbing bar*teds even more money

Now confused! Can i (if so what do i need?) or cant i?

[Edited on 17/12/06 by matt.c]

cossiebri

posted on 17/12/06 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
provided you already have one of the movies/premium packages it 's not the extra tenner a month. i had normal sky and then recommended 2 others, they upgraded me to sky + the first time and then to sky +160 (the same but bigger hard drive).To be honest once you have it , you won't want to lose it .Would rather lose the wife!!
The sky + box also has superior sound output (optical 5.1) and picture (s video/s vhs?)
tried the other sky + box at a friends and didn't work, so he upgraded!

If it doesn't fit MODIFY it!!
Cheers BriF

keets

posted on 17/12/06 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
tell them you are going to cancel your sky and thay will do anything to flog it to you
mark.s

posted on 17/12/06 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
sky's the last thing you'll need when that MK turns up matt, you can run a sky plus box on a single cable.......but you can't watch 1 channel and record another

cheers mark

CairB

posted on 17/12/06 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
I have a sky+ box with a 200GB drive fitted for sale (£75 + P&P). This gives around 100 hours of storage, 5 times the standard sky+ I think.

U2U if interested.

[Edited on 17/12/06 by CairB]

need4speed

posted on 17/12/06 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
My friend has just upgraded to sky+ for £49.99 installed. You must follow sky’s script for it to work. ring Sky ask for cancellation department when you get the cancellation agent say your sky box is faulty they then offer a free replacement, you have to say you don't really have time to watch it any more, to keep you as a customer they then offer you Sky+ for 49.99 installed you accept the offer, the agent is also happy as he has met his customer retention target.
worX

posted on 18/12/06 at 12:40 AM Reply With Quote
sky+ for free?

you could try all the cancel gimmicks but so does everyone else so they don't always offer it to you.
The only sure fire way I know of is to cancel sky (they might offer it to you then) but if not let the cancellation go through and then just register on one of the new subscriber offers using a different name - girlfriends, wife's maiden name, in-laws if their willing etc.

hth

Steve.

Pants On Fire

posted on 18/12/06 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
You need a 2nd LMB on the dish for Sky+ to function correctly. This will enable viewing 1 channel whilst watching another. That means you'll also need a second co-axial from the dish to the Sky+ box.

Whilst you're there run a 3rd coax as a return to another room and hey presto multi room, OK granted you can only watch the channel thats dialled into the main room but a cheap alternative and very easy to do.

The new Sky+ box comes with a 160GB hard disk.

the_fbi

posted on 18/12/06 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pants On Fire
You need a 2nd LMB on the dish for Sky+ to function correctly. This will enable viewing 1 channel whilst watching another. That means you'll also need a second co-axial from the dish to the Sky+ box.

Sky+ ships with a new quad output LNB so you just replace your old single with a new quad output.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.