Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sheepskin flying style jackets
Jed

posted on 17/12/06 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Sheepskin flying style jackets

At several of the kit car shows I've been to there has been a couple who sell sheepskin flying style jackets. They have a white tent with just jackets and notthing else. Seen them at Donington and somewhere else - possbly Newark.
IIRC they're from the Cambridge/March area.

Has anyone got any idea who they are and any contact details?

cheers
Jed

Jon Ison

posted on 17/12/06 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
I bought one, not from the people you are talking about btw but after 4 years I sold it having only worn it once in the 7, it was too bulky too wear comfortably in the car.

Just something too think about if that's what you are thinking of buying one for.

Jed

posted on 17/12/06 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
I do know what you mean Jon - they are rather bulky in a 7 style car. Thankfully I now have a TVR S3

It's actually for the lady who is jealous that I've a nice warm jacket to wear on these crisp winter days.

budge

posted on 17/12/06 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
We use a company down here in our neck of the woods called Fenland sheepskins who do a lighter weight flying jacket as well as a normal weight. They are not coat manufactures they are tanners but have an nice lady who will . I'll find the phone number if required.
Most people in the area around fenland sheepskins who work in unheated workshops and garages wear sheepskin bodywarmers from her and these are priced according to the quality of the finished product £20 if the fleeces aren't matched, up to £50 if they match. Well worth the money, its pot luck what you get , mine was £50 and is well worth the money, A mate got his for £20 and stays just as warm.

BenB

posted on 17/12/06 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
The original flying jacket is the Irvin flying jacket

http://www.flying-jacket.com/products.asp

Now made by Aviation Leathercraft (MotoLita)

Seriously expensive though...

02GF74

posted on 18/12/06 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
There are a number of companies mkaing the oringal Irvin (licensed) and copies.

Originals are approacjihg £ 400 region but a copy will set you back £ 150.

Take a peek on ebay - there are quite a few small ones on there.

I got one in anticipation when I get on the road, which the rate I'm progressing will be shorts and T-shirt weather; they are bulky for sure but you won't get cold.

Benzine

posted on 18/12/06 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
I got a very old one that's well worn in, it's not as bulky as a new one and cheaper

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jed

posted on 18/12/06 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies. I already have a jacket so I do know what they're like. This isn't for me, it's for the young lady.

All I'm after is the name of the company that had a stall at some of the kit car shows because I want one form that particular company.

cheers
Jed

wilkingj

posted on 18/12/06 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Sheepskins are nice, but I went to the BMF Bike show at Peterborough Showground, and bought bike jackets and gloves.

I got two Jackets, both fully waterproof and breathable, one for £20 the other for £40.
Leather Biker gloves with Chamois backs on both forefingers for wiping visors or goggles, £10 a pair, and £5 without chamois.

ALL of this was Branded gear. Sold in the Rejects Tent (4 or 5 of these Marquees).

Some was obviously seconds with rips tears, and busted zips. However IHMO 80% plus was new and excellent in almost unworn condition. A lady told me it was all Mail order returns that they could not sell as "new" as it had been purchased and worn.

There were teriffic bargains. OK the body armour had been removed from their pockets, but who wants that, I want it to keep me warm and dry in the Viento, and it does that brilliantly. Oh... Both came with removeable liners. Excellent for summer and winter.

Well worth a visit next year.
Just keep you eyes open and examine everything carefully. There were rows and rows and rows of the stuff. And 4-5 marquees like it.

Mine are Frank Thomas Aquapore jackets.
They retail at about £100.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 18/12/06 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
The guy your looking for is Richard Lines from Wilburton near Ely Cambridge . Can't remember what he trades as but may be English Classics? think he advertises in some kit car mags . Have looked in the Cambridge area phone book and yellow pages which cover the Ely area but can't find a listing.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.