Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Luego rear brakes
richwalker

posted on 22/12/06 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Luego rear brakes

Problem.....Just worked out that the rear brakes werent working as the calipers were on the wrong way around so the bleed nipple was at the bottom. Problem is that the calipers wont fit the other way around as the hand brake cable fouls on the hub carrier. The brakes now work but cannot fit the calipers properly becasue of the cable. The car is a luego velocity xt. Have thought about making new brackets but was wondering if anyone had had this problem or knew of a way around it. Any suggestions would be most apprehicated. I have searched and found something about a tiger but it didnt really answer my question. Thanks.

------------------------------------
Luego Velocity 1.8 Zetec
1998 Land Rover Disco 300tdi
04 BMW 320d Tourer

Wadders

posted on 22/12/06 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
can't tell you anything specific about luego's but if you bleed the calipers while they're unbolted, then bolt them on upsidedown, they'll work fine.

Oh nearly forgot, as your bleeding move them about, its amazing how many air bubbles you can tease out. I use this procedure on both back and front calipers, works a treat. also made easier by using an eazybleed.

Originally posted by richwalker
Problem.....Just worked out that the rear brakes werent working as the calipers were on the wrong way around so the bleed nipple was at the bottom. Problem is that the calipers wont fit the other way around as the hand brake cable fouls on the hub carrier. The brakes now work but cannot fit the calipers properly becasue of the cable. The car is a luego velocity xt. Have thought about making new brackets but was wondering if anyone had had this problem or knew of a way around it. Any suggestions would be most apprehicated. I have searched and found something about a tiger but it didnt really answer my question. Thanks.

[Edited on 22/12/06 by Wadders]

rusty nuts

posted on 22/12/06 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Put a spacer approx the same thickness as the disc between the pads to stop the piston coming out , when all air is bled out adjust the piston by winding in or out to give about 004" clearance between disc and padsand refit caliper . This should give you a good brake pedal and set it so handbrake can be adjusted on the cable
piddy

posted on 23/12/06 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
Hi.
Take them off turn them so the nipple is at the top then bleed them. Once they are bleed re fit them. Job done.

smart51

posted on 23/12/06 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
I unbolt mine, move them round the disc so that the bleed nipple is at the top but the pads and disc are still in the caliper and bleed them like that then reattach them. As has already been said, it stops the piston moving too out on the handbrake auto-adjust mechanism.
richwalker

posted on 1/1/07 at 01:02 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the adivce, all seems to work now, bit annoying really, has taken months of head scratching to get to this aparently quite simple problem. SVA booked for Wed now.

------------------------------------
Luego Velocity 1.8 Zetec
1998 Land Rover Disco 300tdi
04 BMW 320d Tourer

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.