Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Column bearing bits
Indymike

posted on 28/12/06 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
Column bearing bits

I got these new parts with my secondhand (sierra) steering column, but I'm not sure about which part goes where. On the (triangular) part of my column there is also a round metal plate.
Now I know the rubber thingy goes in to the support bracket that's on my chassis. But does the plastic cap (right in the pic) just turn in the rubber thingy?
And what is the purpose of the other plastic ring (middle in the pic)?
Would sure appreciate if someone could tell me the right order of mounting these things, also in relation to the metal ring on the column. Guess this is what you get if you don't take your own donor apart!

[img][/img]

Build manual? What build manual?

andyd

posted on 28/12/06 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
The rubber grommet goes in the hole in the chassis as you've already said. The bit with the trianglular hole slides onto the triangle section of the column. The other round plastic bit sits inside the rubber grommet and the column goes through it. The "bearing" effect is the triangular bit spinning inside the round plastic bit. Does that make sense?

Can't remember about the metal ring on the column exactly but I think that sits below the bearing bits. It'll be the sliding part that allows the triangular section of the column to telescope into the top section. The metal ring is to stop it from being loose most of the time until (hopefully not though) it's whacked by a front end crash.

Andy

Indymike

posted on 28/12/06 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Andy,

It's all clear now. Just have to figure out wether the metal bit goes in front or behind the bearing bits. I should be seeing some other kit cars tomorrow, so will have a good look around.

Agriv8

posted on 28/12/06 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
it goes behind to keep the platic bearing togther. i.e. to stop the plastic iner sliding out of the plastic outer.

or another way of puting it is sits behind the three tabs on the part just above the date on your picture

clear a mud.

regards

agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Indymike

posted on 28/12/06 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks agriv8,

time for a trip to the garage, I think!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.