Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: moulding rubber
smart51

posted on 29/12/06 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
moulding rubber

I want to make some rubber trumpets for my carbs. The moulds will be too complicated to pull GRP from them but rubber should be OK. What kind of rubber should I use and where can I get it from?
macnab

posted on 29/12/06 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
complicated to pull GRP?

is there such a thing???

you can buy trumpets in metal off the net. quite a common thing...

indykid

posted on 29/12/06 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
sikaflex in a well greased mould?

would be a bugger if it stuck, but might be worth a shot if nothing else turns up. would probably take a while to set too.

think Frost do a rubber moulding kit, but like everything else from them, i doubt it'll be cheap!

tom

Syd Bridge

posted on 29/12/06 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Frosts do the mix up rubber stuff.

http://www.frost.co.uk/result_search.asp

look for product no. R 099

Also available from ITW Devcon direct for larger quantities.

Cheers,
Syd.

DaveFJ

posted on 29/12/06 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
I have used Devcon flexane many times and it is very good .. but goes off very quickly so you need to work super fast...

(made a fantastic cheat for 'Best Boots' whilst in the Army!! )

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

smart51

posted on 29/12/06 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
The trumpets need to clear the top of my airbox and so have an 80° bend in them. Also they are sort-of-eliptical at the mouth but round at the throat.

Frost do 3 hardnesses but at £48 for 500g its a bit expensive. Any other suggestions?

macnab

posted on 29/12/06 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
still shouldn't be a problem. I would make a mould of the inside out of balsa block, an hour at most. sand it down and varnish it. Then plenty of candle wax (I use this cos it melts when you pour hot water on the glass fiber then it'll just fall out. repeat till youre done. So long as the bottom of the trumpet it narrower than the top it'll away's come out regardless of the bend. Would be a bit of a funny looking one if it did'nt...

oh yeah apply the wax molten (melt it in a small pot) then brush it on. Hair dryer will then smooth it down to a gloss finish.

[Edited on 29/12/06 by macnab]

mistergrumpy

posted on 29/12/06 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
Chuck some industrial condoms in the freezer for a week or so, that should do it.

macnab

posted on 29/12/06 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
Chuck some industrial condoms in the freezer for a week or so, that should do it.

have you posted that on the wrong thread or what??

James

posted on 29/12/06 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy

Is that a 'shrink to fit' method that we weren't previously aware of?

[Edited on 29/12/06 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

ChrisJLW

posted on 29/12/06 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
RS components do castable polyurethane for less than Frost.

http://rswww.com/
Stock No. 199-1395

Only do one hardness though.

I've lived a life that's full.
I've traveled each and ev'ry highway.
But more, much more than this,
I did it side-ah-ways.

mistergrumpy

posted on 29/12/06 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
Think its just the way my minds working. I've taken to carrying a tool kit in me car just in case I see some lucky stuff and I always look at Sierra's suspiciously now, as Zoidberg would say 'reveal your secrets!' There was people giving free condoms away in town last 2 weekends and we stuck one a a bottle of beer then hit it on top to blow it up and fill it with beer. Just reminded me of the plastic trumpets on an engine though. How sad.

smart51

posted on 29/12/06 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
The mould in 2 halves idea is good however I want the smooth side to be the inside for better airflow. I've almost finished making a GRP mould that will be dipped in rubber solution to make the trumpet. I expect to be able to peel the rubber off the mould (so that I can make 4 trumpets.

The problem with a rigid component is that the trumpet has a 42mm diameter throat which morphs to a 36mm x 46mm flattened oval at the mouth which then has a 6mm radius trumpet mouth on it. No matter which way you pull, a rigid part won't come off an internal mould. The flattened profile tube is so that the bend doesn't have a zero radius on the inside edge.

I suppose I could make a two piece outer to mould a wax core which can be laminated to and then "lost" with heat. I might try that one later.

silex

posted on 29/12/06 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
I use RTV Silicon ( RTV = Room Temperature Vulcanizing ) when knocking up small moulds for multiple casts, come in various Shore hardness as well - very flexible.

Try http://www.tiranti.co.uk/ for some ideas and the materials

Forgot to say - look under "Products" then "Mould Making" section.

[Edited on 29/12/06 by silex]

Murphy's 2 laws

1. If it can go wrong it will
2. In case of emergency - refer to rule 1.

smart51

posted on 5/1/07 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
I tried some RTV silicone (medium) last night and whilst it moulds well, the results are really too flexible. Is there a way of stiffening the material so that it holds its shape better?
Peteff

posted on 5/1/07 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote

That sounds more like a cure for impotency
Try some ROMOBOX:NEWLIST" target="_blank">morph plast or polymer clay to make your mould or try it for the finished item. Polymer clay is baked in the oven after shaping to harden it, we've used it to make miniatures and replace knobs on small items and it's quite durable.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Simon

posted on 5/1/07 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
I tried some RTV silicone (medium) last night and whilst it moulds well, the results are really too flexible. Is there a way of stiffening the material so that it holds its shape better?

If you're using the rubber for the outside of the mould, and want to keep its shape "off" the original, add keys while brushing on (assuming you're using "thixo". We just make up long (3 feet "sausages" that are cut to about 2" or 3" and stuck on the uncured rubber), then when cured, lay up f/glass over the keys.

Mould is then stiffened with a case of f/g.

I would find somewhere cheaper than taranti's if I were you. Try CFS in Cornwall.

ATB

Simon

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.