Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Welding with gaps?
tegwin

posted on 31/12/06 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Welding with gaps?

Here is the dilema...

I have tack welded bits to my chassis and they are in the right place...however there is a small airgap on a couple of the mating edges where I miscalculated or mismeasured....to rectify the situation would take hours and weeks....will I loose much strength if I weld over the airgap and bridge it with weld?

All of the joints have some metal to metal contact, there are no bits floating in midair that want connecting!

Wadders

posted on 31/12/06 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
No none at all, just more likely to blow through if not carefull.
In thicker metal its common to leave a gap to aid root penetration.

arcoavon

posted on 31/12/06 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
hi i am a welder by trade, so long as the gaps are small it is not a problem, in fact in certain cases we leave a small gap to ensure maximum weld penetration, hope that puts your mind at rest !
tegwin

posted on 31/12/06 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
What is classed as a small gap?

Its hard to explain, but due to the way that the chassis has been bent (its tubular) there are notches where the rollers have been on the bender....the box section I want to weld on sits with an edge either side of this notch....but there is about a 3-4mm airgap in the middle of the box where the dip in the parent tube is....

I was thinking about making up some gussets/webbing to reinforce the weld...im just not sure how strong a welded joint is...

Would I be better off getting it stick welded so it fills the gaps better...rather than trying to use a wire feed mig?

(oh, and its stainless if it makes any difference)

Thanks.
Dunc

Wadders

posted on 31/12/06 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Its easier to fill gaps with mig than stick, and your not likely to get slag inclusions either. just pulse the trigger and fill the gap first with small amounts of weld, then run a fillet over the top.

Originally posted by tegwin
What is classed as a small gap?

Its hard to explain, but due to the way that the chassis has been bent (its tubular) there are notches where the rollers have been on the bender....the box section I want to weld on sits with an edge either side of this notch....but there is about a 3-4mm airgap in the middle of the box where the dip in the parent tube is....

I was thinking about making up some gussets/webbing to reinforce the weld...im just not sure how strong a welded joint is...

Would I be better off getting it stick welded so it fills the gaps better...rather than trying to use a wire feed mig?

(oh, and its stainless if it makes any difference)

Thanks.
Dunc

thunderace

posted on 31/12/06 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
i am doing a course on welding and i angle the ends of tubes a little and push the weld to get better penetration you can do a second pass over you weld also.
see this site (i take it you are useing a mig )
http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/

Jebus

posted on 1/1/07 at 01:23 AM Reply With Quote
im at collge studing for my NC in welding, and doing root runs all the time, its easy on mig just turn power down a bit and pulse the trigger. not much use 2 you be for a V butt joint wee get told 2 use a 3mm gap with a 2/3mm root face on stick and it dont blow holes so mig be fine for something that size

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.