Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: FIRE EXTINGUISHER
Paul (Notts)

posted on 31/12/06 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
FIRE EXTINGUISHER

AS there will soon be petrol in the car

What size type of fire extinguisher should I get for the garage?

Paul

macnab

posted on 31/12/06 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
one off these should do... Rescued attachment Engine---3.jpg
Rescued attachment Engine---3.jpg

macnab

posted on 31/12/06 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
seriously though I have a 1kg foam one fixed to the car, how nearer the blaze could it be?!?

BenB

posted on 31/12/06 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
I have a portable powder extinguisher designed for kitchens which although not mahusive does have the advantage that it can be moved around the garage so its always near where I am when I'm doing welding, grinding etc!!! Sods law and all meaning that otherwise the extinguisher will be on the opposite side of the room as the fire.... I also take it with me on blats in case anything goes off (literally!) though I recognize it probably wouldn't cope if the main fuel line ruptured...
It also has the advantage of being cheap as chips- some of the plumbed in extinguisher systems are decidedly unlocost!!!!

[Edited on 31/12/06 by BenB]

macnab

posted on 31/12/06 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
I have to say those plumbed system's seem to be the biggest rip off ever. I mean its a bit if plastic pipe on a fire extinguisher. What's so amazing about that???!! how can it cost so much?

theconrodkid

posted on 31/12/06 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
lidl do some cheap/big ones,ive one in the car,one on my welder and one nailed to the garage door,about 3 indoors and one in my tin top

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

budge

posted on 31/12/06 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
From experience when I accidently set fire to my Golf Gti, I used 4 * 1.5kg extingishers. long story involving a digifant problem. a Genuine Bosch digifant manual (from which Bosch missed a very important line about disconnecting your king lead !) and high pressure fuel. It took months to clean my drive of white powder, and now 2 years later white powder still appears in the engine bay.!
rusty nuts

posted on 31/12/06 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Put the car outside before you try to start it ! at least if it goes up it won't take tha garage with it . Make sure it's not a liquid type extinguisher , petrol floats on water . Fire blanket, sand etc work well . You won't need any of it .

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.