Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bike Race Exhausts
MOz

posted on 1/1/07 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Bike Race Exhausts

Ello,

I am a complete newbie and apologise now for my nievity!

I am looking to buy a pre built BEC, probably a Lotus 7 style (MK, Tiger etc).

Having owned many bikes in the past I was forever changing the exhausts for race cans just to pep up the performance, make em sound nicer and look a little better. Most of my bikes were FI running power commanders which would easily sort the fueling for the can.

If I wanted to fit a bike end can to a BEC (say an Akrapovic for example) what sort of problems would I encounter???

Thanks, not only for this thread but all the others I've read and confused myself silly!!

MOz

Jon Ison

posted on 1/1/07 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome.

Most BECS run race cans for the reasons you stated above plus the nice flames you get from time too time.

TBH, I have too fit a std(ish) can for track days due too noise and you probably noticed it on the bike too but it definitely shows up in a BEC, the std can gives more low down power and defiantly makes it more drivable at low speeds.

Hellfire

posted on 1/1/07 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
The beauty with a Power Commander IMO, is that you can easily upload a new map for different types of setup. You can have a quiet setup, using the standard bike can for trackdays where noise may be a problem and a louder setup using a race can, for road and dragstrips and the performance under both conditions can be optimised.

The only problems you are likely to encounter depends upon your chosen exhaust manufacturer. They may not replicate the header lengths or diameters of tube for your bike engine and therefore some of the standard maps available for up/downloading to the power commander may not be 100% suitable for your application. A rolling road setup and custom map could overcome this problem but can prove a bit costly.

Lastly, welcome to the forum........

Phil

ChrisGamlin

posted on 1/1/07 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
You also need to make sure the gases don't burn the rear arch, and getting a 90 degree bend on the outlet might be problematical on some cans, although alu panelling on the arch might be sufficient depending on how close it is.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.