Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: wireless networking question?
nick205

posted on 3/1/07 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
wireless networking question?

I want to connect a PC to my home network to use as a storage device and to stream music from. I've been looking at either a wireless PCI card or the USB wireless adapters.

Question is are the USB adapters any good or am I better off with a proper PCI card?

The USB adapter tempts me as it can easily be swapped to adifferent machine if necessary, but then changing a PCI card is not that time consuming if it offers better performance/features.

Cheers All!

Schrodinger

posted on 3/1/07 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
I would go for the PCI card as the USB is slower than the card.
ned

posted on 3/1/07 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
I use a usb stick thingy for my home desktop pc, only really for browsing but haven't had any problems, very convenient for swapping between machines, especially if you use firewall or access lists based on mac address as it goes with the stick to whatever pc you plug it into. Mine's a 3com one but I expect they're all much of a muchness for the same standards.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scottc

posted on 3/1/07 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
If you go with the USB option if there is a problem with the signal you can use a cable and place the device in the best location. With a PCI Card you might have to move the whole machine.
DaveFJ

posted on 3/1/07 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
speed isn't an issue as usb is much faster than the wireless connection anyway.

the main problem with usb dongles is the range as they have a small antenna.

I would personally go for USB unless you need the extra range....

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

britishtrident

posted on 3/1/07 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think wireless is the way to go with this, ethernet plugged straight into the router will be more reliable. Wireless networking tends to be OK for workststions & laptops but not for any unattended device.

For USB to Wired ethernet --- no problem--- the Belkin adapter works just fine with most operating systems but is slightly dearer than a PCI card.

Rather than using a PC it might be better to consider using a Multimedia drive or a just Network hard drive that plugs straight into ethernet RJ45 port both are available very cheaply now either as complete drives or cases to fit your own hard drive into.

If you do want to go wireless the very cheap wireless dongles sold by ebuyer work better than some of the more expensive big name gear.

[Edited on 3/1/07 by britishtrident]

OX

posted on 3/1/07 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
my xbox is pluged into the router downstairs and it streams music from my pc upstairs which uses a netgear wireless usb adaptor .same sort of thing i suppose.
like someone else has said all pc's plugged into the router is the best way to go but i dont think you'll have anyproblems going wireless.i play online games on my pc and can downoad at 800kbs still

[Edited on 3/1/07 by OX]

brashhighlander

posted on 3/1/07 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hi-jack this thread, I have just started using a wireless USB dongle and it works a treat, excellent signal and don't notice it being any slower than using the ethernet cable.

My problem is that I have to start the windows wireless zero configiration everytime I start my computer. Any ideas how to get around this.

Cheers
Jim

DaveFJ

posted on 3/1/07 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
I have found that problem in the past because of third party dial up software. specifically the client for MCI dialup connection installs a service which causes all sorts of problems with wireless connections.

Also found that SP2 on windows XP Pro running on an AMD 64 HP laptop caused the same issue.... removed SP2 to fix that one!!!!

Dave

Hellfire

posted on 3/1/07 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using wireless and although I had problems with it, I haven't had problems for ages... up until a few days ago when I installed SP2. Now I do not have any network and my network printer does not show. I can connect to internet via my router from laptop and it pings my PC ok but no network... why is Microsoft soooo very SH!T

I reckon Microsoft have millions of third party employees sorting out a poor product on their behalf. When they decide things are quiet - they launch an update.

I wish I hadn't started to update my OS software now...

DaveFJ

posted on 3/1/07 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Has the windows firewall been switched on? under SP2 it is on by default.... could be the source of your woes?

Dave

nick205

posted on 5/1/07 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Right after much deliberationa nd picking of brains I have dcided to buy a stand alone NAS and hardwire it to my router.

The PC I have would need to be upgraded with a larger hard drive as the installed one is only 8Gb (seemed massive back when I bought it 6 years ago ). It would also need a PCI card or USB adapter and is probably not really up to it being being a 266MHz PII based machine.

Once I've got the NAS sorted I'm looking at adding a Slim Devices Squeeze box to stream music to my HiFi

Cheers for the replies and advice!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.