Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: omex 600
ch1ll1

posted on 3/1/07 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
omex 600

hi all anybody used or know about the omex 600 ?

thinking of buying on specs look good?
all view and hate most appreciated

will be on a black top zetec

cheers paul

clutch_kick

posted on 3/1/07 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Very good unit .. only heard good things about it, never programmed it though. Also take a look at the Haltech ECUs. Very very good, and packed with useful stuff. Software is very friendly to use.
stevebubs

posted on 4/1/07 at 12:56 AM Reply With Quote
If you want an off-the-shelf ECU, I'm using an Emerald M3DK on the same engine to reasonable effect
Dusty

posted on 4/1/07 at 03:26 AM Reply With Quote
I have an omex 600 on a silvertop. Easy fit and works fine. Very easy software to learn, understand and play about with. Good support from Omex. Problem is getting anyone down in Plymouth area to map it well. Next trip is to MEC in Cheltenham for RR session. (Three locals have failed dismally which is getting expensive.)
Emerald has slightly more features and a trip to Dave Walker will give superb results.

[Edited on 4/1/07 by Dusty]

martyn_16v

posted on 4/1/07 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a mate who runs a small jap car tuning business, he loves Omex and recommends them to all his customers. A big factor when you're choosing an ECU is tuning, are there any rolling roads near you that recommend Omex and/or tune them regularly. If you have a specific place in mind to map your car when it's done ask them what they prefer working with and which they'd recommend, you can save yourself a lot of hassle as Dusty is finding out
FlansS14

posted on 4/1/07 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
I've only ever used the Emerald system and its spot on, it is a very basic system and i think the omex has better "fine" tuning as it has more map sited (although that migh be the more expensive unit)

The Emerald will cost you £550 for the box then your loom and plugs, i'd recomend using his water temp and air temp sensors. then £250+vat to get the whole thing set up.

We have taken 3 totaly different cars to Dave in the past. 24V Cosworth V6 in a TVR. A 1.6 Ford sigma in a kit car and a Vag 1.8T in a Clio. All cars totaly different and he mapped them until they were spot on.

Top Bloke

Why didn't i just make it simple!

bike_power

posted on 4/1/07 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
See if you can get an ECU which will interface via CAN bus to data logger or instrumentation, makes life much easier down the road. MBE will do that - get it from SBD, the software is excellent too.

Edit to add that the new Emerald K3 will be available shortly and is a major upgrade, includes CAN bus interface etc.

[Edited on 4/1/07 by bike_power]

trogdor

posted on 5/1/07 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
The new emerald is ready i think, there was a promo leaflet in the last edition of PPC and the price is £580 plus vat which seems reasonable

And it has loads of features too, more than i can remember but it has a CAN bus etc

[Edited on 5/1/07 by trogdor]

seadog

posted on 5/1/07 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Paul,

I too was looking at going down the OMEX 600 route via Shawspeed for my Blacktop however let say after looking at the Emerald K3 brochure I've changed my mind. It has loads or great features, one of which is that you can have 3 seperate maps uploaded onto the unit which can be cahnged on the fly from one to another via a switch on your dashboard which is a really nice touch!!

The screenshots of the software again look really good with everything mapped out nicely and looking user friendly.

Speaking to a good source shall we say the OMEX in his experience can be a bit of a sod to setup however I haven't any experience of this myself so I'm unable to confirm this.

Pound for Pound mate the K3 is around level par with the OMEX 600, both Shawspead for example and Emerald can supply base maps for the Zetec SE however Dave at Emerald did advise that you would probably want to get in on the rolling road at some point.

seadog

posted on 5/1/07 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Paul,

Another good reason for you to go with Emerald is that they are only 70 miles away from you (Watton, Norfolk) and have all the rolling road facilities if you wish to get it on the rolling road at some point.

Schrodinger

posted on 6/1/07 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
I would second(or is that third) the Emerald, I had one in my Tiger and had it set up by DW he was a great help and considering we had a few problems with my injectors, he was very patient in trying to identify the exact problem.
I will certainlt be using the new K3 in my next project.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.