Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: hmmm i wonder......MOT legalities
novacaine

posted on 5/1/07 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
hmmm i wonder......MOT legalities

i have got a donor car oop' norf' (bout 150 miles away from me, it doesnt have an mot or tax,

the law says you can drive to a pre-booked MOT test even if your car does not have an MOT, so could i drive the donor car to the nearest garage to get it failed again, then drive it the 150 miles home (i am talking purley theoreticaly because im not happy driving an mot failed car down the motorway)

i think this is either illigal or pushing the law to the absolute limit

Matt

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

auzziejim

posted on 5/1/07 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
not taxed, not legal

plus even MOTing the car up north once it fails its still not roadworthy so undrivable

Mark Allanson

posted on 5/1/07 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
You are better off getting the mot booked at your nearest garage and driving it there. If stopped after a fail, you would be knowingly driving an unroadworthy car, if driving TO the mot, you would be blissfully unaware of any problems.

The law does say that the car must be roadworthy even though you would be driving to a pre arranged mot.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

scottc

posted on 5/1/07 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
plus you'd need to insure it.

and if they MOT centre said it was dangerous then it would be illegal to drive on the road again!

caber

posted on 5/1/07 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
Get it into the street make sure it is "broken down" call AA and get it relayed home

Caber

goodall

posted on 5/1/07 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
why not book it i a place local to home and then cancel it when you get home and never even go near the mot garage.

still need insureance for all that

gary gsx

posted on 5/1/07 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
If its got no tax the AA wont touch it
Humbug

posted on 5/1/07 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
Yep - you will need insurance. I don't think tax would be necessary as long it is SORNed, because in theory you could have a SORNed car that needs to be MOTd before you can retax it?
stevec

posted on 5/1/07 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
Can I ask why you have bought a Nuclear shelter on wheels 150 miles from home with no means of retrieving it.

Steve.

millemg

posted on 6/1/07 at 12:03 AM Reply With Quote
Beam it up Scotty
Avoneer

posted on 6/1/07 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
Yep - you'd need to be insured and you'll find that hard without tax and mot!

Pat...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 6/1/07 at 12:28 AM Reply With Quote
A trailer is your best bet - 100% legal then

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
greggors84

posted on 6/1/07 at 12:52 AM Reply With Quote
You can insure a car without MOT or Tax, as you need to be insured on a car to take it to the MOT which in turn you need to tax it.

Think about a car that has been SORNd for a long time and the MOT, Tax and insurance has run out, they do it so you can get it to the MOT centre without trailering it.

Still it would be dodgy driving a MOT failure 150 miles, also if its clearly in bad condition the police will stop you, they may even be able to impound it, not sure.

[Edited on 6/1/2007 by greggors84]

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Richard Quinn

posted on 6/1/07 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
A trailer is your best bet - 100% legal then

Not necessarily. Would depend on the trailer itself and the tow car. Bear in mind it's a 740 to be trailered.

novacaine

posted on 6/1/07 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevec
Can I ask why you have bought a Nuclear shelter on wheels 150 miles from home with no means of retrieving it.

Steve.

ive not bought it, ive got if for free so i cant complain

Matt

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

rotax78

posted on 6/1/07 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
remember there is no such thing as free in life, maybe it would be better to pay for a donor that is more local to you, then there would be no fines/points, trailer hire and all the associated hassle, not trying to wee on your chips, but sometimes the cheaper option doesn't end up the cheapest/best in the longrun.
stevec

posted on 6/1/07 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Try to wait until something local turns up, It will knock a big unessasary hole in your budget getting it home.
Keep trawling the local papers and post office windows.
Steve.

Syd Bridge

posted on 6/1/07 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by auzziejim
not taxed, not legal......

Not true!

You are allowed to drive an untaxed car to and from an MOT, AND TO AN SVA!!!!!Obviously!!!! Otherwise, how do you get a first MOT, or renew one that has been sorn'd for a year or three? Same with new reg's and sva inspections.

But it must be insured.

Cheers,
Syd.

Please, no more ' MISINFORMATION'.

goodall

posted on 6/1/07 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
depends on your insureance company but insurers cover any car you own and this lets you tax it but needs to mot'd still
pajsh

posted on 6/1/07 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
It can be driven if insured and pre-booked for an MOT as stated. Driving 150 miles to an appointment might be stretching it a bit though.

I am just about to get my Scirocco (see left) back on the road and the MOT has run out last April.

I have to insure it, MOT it and then tax it.

Has to be in that order.

I did think I could drive it 3rd party on my other insurance but I understand the vehicle has to have insurance of it's own.

I may insure it short term for 14 days at around £28 just to get it MOT'd.

Hiring a trailer might be the best bet if you have a car that will tow it.

I used to be apathetic but now I just don't care.

goodall

posted on 6/1/07 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
some insureance companies say any car belonging or to the holder and any other car, just depends on your insurer

[Edited on 6/1/07 by goodall]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.