Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Spring rates
mike4444244

posted on 13/1/07 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Spring rates

Hello all,
about to order my shocks and springs, am going for gaz dampers cos theyre cheap, the question is, what rate springs should i be looking for? The car is a standardish book chassis but has 3.5 rover v8 and autobox, sierra irs back end and uses MK indy wishbones and uprights on the back. I ralise i'll probably need to try different set ups but what would be a good ballpark to start with? Its only going to be used for shortish runs and the odd trackday, so would like to be biased towards handling/speed rather than wallowy comfort
Thanks
Mike

110 Defender

ChrisGamlin

posted on 13/1/07 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
You say "standardish book" but the important bit will be how you've done your suspension.

The problems is unless your wishbones are the same length and your damper / wishbone pickup points are the same position as other people's cars then a comparison is pretty meaningless unfortunately, even if they have an otherwise similar car.

If you've used standard book pickup points on the front then Im sure there are enough people around to give you some figures, but you might have to go more with a guestimate on the back unless all your pickup points are the same as an Indy

[Edited on 13/1/07 by ChrisGamlin]

simes43

posted on 17/1/07 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
I would recommend using AVO instead of Gaz.

The Gaz build quality has been very poor recently.

NS Dev

posted on 17/1/07 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Well, I would recommend giving MNR a call for some Protech shocks, they are not much more expensive than either AVO or Gaz and they are more nicely made and aluminium so save some weight too.

As for spring rates, difficult to say, but if you have NO idea at all, 275lb front and 200lb rear would possibly be a good starting point with the weight of the autobox (normally rears would be nearer 150lb)

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

mike4444244

posted on 17/1/07 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
Thanks i was looking for a ballpark figure just to get the car rolling, i'll fine tune it later when its finished
Was considering the protech ones, they look well made and dare i say it slightly bling
mike

110 Defender

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.