Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Clutch cable spring???
donut

posted on 24/6/03 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Clutch cable spring???

Hi

I have an MK Indy with a 2 litre pinto. I have fitted the clutch cable which seems to fit just fine. I am however worried about the clutch pedal falling back onto the floor rendering the clutch as useless. How can i keep pressure on the clutch or clutch pedal so it does not fall backwards onto the floor? Would some sort of sprig help? What have you guy's done?

Cheers

Andy

P.s. i have posted this in the Engine section too!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MK9R

posted on 24/6/03 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
This is what we have done. The spring in the cable helps it return and keeps the pressure on the stop so it doesn't bounce around.

Build Diary May 2003

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
donut

posted on 24/6/03 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks that looks the biz! I'll give it a whirl.

Andy

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

greggors84

posted on 24/6/03 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
How does the setup work? have u got a side on view, i cant really tell from the front view. where is the cable and how does the pedal pull it?

Thanks

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

MK9R

posted on 24/6/03 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at the website, there are loads of pics

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

SteveO

posted on 25/6/03 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Hi
I've just had the same problem and if its what i had have a look at Sevenbuild.com through mkengineering site and there's a pic on pedals on page 3. i used a similar 'L' shaped bracket to stop it from falling onto the floorpanel.

Steve

greggors84

posted on 25/6/03 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
MK9R - That spring looks good, where u get it from?

How is the cable attached to the pedal, im guessing its below the pivot, and is that just a stop underneath the clutch and brake pedals.

I cant tell that much from the front photo.

Thanks

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

MK9R

posted on 26/6/03 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
Its Just a compression spring (i take it you mean between the end of the cable and the arm) you can get from anywhere with the nylon bits made up on the lathe.

It is attached underneath the pedal as you say, and have used a D style bolt/clip with a hole drilled in the centre of it, and the cable threaded through so the nipple pulls into the D , exactly the same way we did the accelerator.

April build diary

[Edited on 26/6/03 by MK9R]

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

santcliff

posted on 29/6/03 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Andy,

Just posted a picture of what i've done for the pedels.

I got a mate to turn up a collar that fits through the hole on the MK pedel and butts up against the mount. Also got a loop swaged onto the end of a clutch cable with the adjustment at the non-pedel end. (it was one that broke in a w***y). Tension in the cable keeps it pulled up nicely.

He's the same nice guy who turned up the brake plunger.

Dunno if it will work, hoping so!

stuart

One o' cross beams gone owt askew ont' treddle

donut

posted on 30/6/03 at 06:35 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Stuart

Yup, i see what you've done. I have sorted the problem with a simple M6 bolt through the floor with washers and 2 nylock nuts on it which stops the pedal falling forwards and can be removed as needed. I'll probably do the same for the accelorator pedal.

Cheers

Andy

Andy

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.