Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Variant on a theme
Mark Allanson

posted on 23/1/07 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Variant on a theme

Being too tight to actually 'buy' something, I tend to make stuff (I enjoy it too!).

I came across this tonight and I am really quite interested

What do you think

http://bikerodnkustom2.homestead.com/ghrev.html

[Edited on 23/1/07 by Mark Allanson] Rescued attachment xr2-1.jpg
Rescued attachment xr2-1.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

flak monkey

posted on 23/1/07 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like a good project. The main problem with them is they are so low you are pretty much invisible to other road users.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

JoelP

posted on 23/1/07 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
excellent idea with the front steering, having a universal joint in it.
SeaBass

posted on 23/1/07 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
I would have thought the traditional recumbent hand position would have been more comfortable over any distance. You'd be holding your hands up for long periods on that design.

Cheers

coozer

posted on 23/1/07 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
OOHH! wouldn't fancy sitting on that seat, nasty.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Hellfire

posted on 23/1/07 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
I would imagine it's quite difficult getting up a steep incline on that. On a conventional cycle you can get out of the saddle and cycle whilst stood up to put greater effort in. You can't on that....

Phil

rusty nuts

posted on 23/1/07 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
The recumbent bikes i've seen around here have a flag at the rear 3 or 4 feet above the riders head so they can be seen . One guy rides about on a monocycle and another likes to ride in his birthday suit. Will we be seeing Mark like that?
Mark Allanson

posted on 23/1/07 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
The recumbent bikes i've seen around here have a flag at the rear 3 or 4 feet above the riders head so they can be seen . One guy rides about on a monocycle and another likes to ride in his birthday suit. Will we be seeing Mark like that?

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

jolson

posted on 25/1/07 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
No problem being seen, cars usually go out in the other lane to avoid you. Anything recumbent has the WTF factor, and gets the attention of even the most brain-dead driver.

The bike in the photo has been around years, first published in Popular Mechanics in the late 60's/early 70's. You'd think that after all this time the designer would have worked some leg-length adjustment (more critical with recumbents than uprights if you want to avoid exploding knees)

Give me a ring Mark, and you can come out to my work one day and ride a proper recumbent.

[Edited on 2007-1-25 by jolson]

Cheers

John

Peteff

posted on 25/1/07 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
There's an old codger round here who rides one and he wobbles a bit setting off but he cracks on a bit once he's rolling. I'll stick with my sit up and beg. The three wheelers look good if you have vertigo, but I'm only nipping to the shop (boom boom) There's an American I used to read about who went everywhere on one with a computer attached Here found a link to him.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

3GEComponents

posted on 25/1/07 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Also worth a look here

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/howibuil.htm

jolson

posted on 25/1/07 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
robocog - I first met Peter about 16 years ago. He stopped building trikes about 7 years ago, and concentrates on his gliders, Austin Sevens, and his old Lotus.

The Lotus he's got was the first one to be given the number seven, but there was a falling out between the buyer and Chapman, and it became the Clairmonte Special. More information here. The car is being rebuilt in a barn about 4 miles from where I live.

Done a couple of Cyclefests, usually do the York Rally, and occasionally Mildenhall. Unfortunately its work for me, not much time for cycling.

Cheers

John

Luke Allanson

posted on 31/1/07 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts

Oh dear god i hope not.

Mark Allanson

posted on 31/1/07 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Get on with your bloody couse work
Students - pah

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.