Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Why buy Weber’s when bike Throttle bodies are so much cheaper?
Arthur T

posted on 24/1/07 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Why buy Weber’s when bike Throttle bodies are so much cheaper?

I am confused!!! (easily done)

If webers cost ₤250+ second hand pounds the you have to buy a manifold why don’t more people use bike throttle bodies at ₤60 New?

What is the Big difference if you have a 2ltr Zetec and need engine management any way?

ed_crouch

posted on 24/1/07 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Cos they like the bling...

Also, not having to do EFI is an advantage for those who arent into the elecktrickeryvoodoo.

Fortunately, I am!

Ed.

I-iii-iii-iii-ts ME!

Hurrah.

www.wings-and-wheels.net

Arthur T

posted on 24/1/07 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
are they a lot of work to setup?

would they work on a Mega squirt system?

bimbleuk

posted on 24/1/07 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
... and why go to the expense of buying an engine then adding ITBs when Toyota supply you a free set with every 4AGE 20V

Apart from the cost carbs can be relatively simple to setup and install for someone with limited experience with electronics.

For some reason my Corolla with twin Dellortos has always been the best sound I remember from my many cars.

DIY Si

posted on 24/1/07 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Or just use bike carbs. Better than webbers, easier to many then ITBs are.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Arthur T

posted on 24/1/07 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bimbleuk
... and why go to the expense of buying an engine then adding ITBs when Toyota supply you a free set with every 4AGE 20V

(i do not want to go off on a tangent but can i fit a 4AGE 20V to a type 9? how much can i get one for?)

MattCraneCustoms

posted on 24/1/07 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
well I'm currently after a set of GSXR 750 / 1000 TB's, but they don't seem that cheap now. prices on ebay seem to have gone through the roof. It must be the demand from you lot . . .

flak monkey

posted on 24/1/07 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Set of webers dcoes, filters, linkage and manifold: Under 200 squids.

Last time I checked Boggs wanted about £300 for a bike carb conversion. TBs are cheaper initially until you buy the electronic gizmory that you need to run them...

All depends on how hard you look for the parts as to how much you pay.

Plus a big fat pair of carbs looks nicer

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/Engine%20run.jpg

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

jacko

posted on 24/1/07 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Only tonight on hear there is a set of zx9r bike carbs for £45 make your own manifold about £15 £60 pound all in you cannot go wrong
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Arthur T

posted on 24/1/07 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
so they are as good but they require more work to get them to be as good.
auzziejim

posted on 24/1/07 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
i have built a running bike carb setup on my pinto for a total cost of £32

i agree webers do seem to be a waste of money when bike carbs are so cheap.

flak monkey

posted on 24/1/07 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Fair play if you can make your own manifold. Then of course TBs/bike carbs are the way to go. And what I would have had had I been needing carburation at the moment in time...

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

zetec7

posted on 25/1/07 at 01:31 AM Reply With Quote
I went for Webers, after spending time reading up on carbs. It's a lot more complex than just sticking them on there...ever looked at the needle in a bike carb? Ever realized that there is not just one taper to it, but as many as 7 or 8 at various points along the needle? That's to provide optimum mixture at various points in the flow range of the carb, based on things like air flow rate, air pressure, etc., and all optimized for a specific engine (which the engineers have spent millions to get right). Stick them on a totally different engine with different needs, and what are the chances you'll do better than (or even close to) Honda or Yamaha at mixture control??? They're going to be right for the engine they were designed for, but that's all. Webers were designed for car engines from the start. I would imagine Ferarri would have used bike carbs if they were better than Webers...

http://www.freewebs.com/zetec7/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scotmac

posted on 25/1/07 at 03:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Plus a big fat pair of carbs looks nicer

Hmmm...can't say i agree that anything looks nicer that an aggressive set of ITB's...tho these aren't bike TBs:

Rescued attachment DI4195_250.jpg
Rescued attachment DI4195_250.jpg

Memphis Twin

posted on 25/1/07 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
CV bike carbs are basically modified SUs which use a diaphragm instead of the SU's piston/dashpot assembly. Unfortunately there isn't room for 4SUs side by side...

What you REALLY want is a set of Keihin or Mikuni Flatslides. Thottle response is sensational as they have accelerator pumps, (like Webers) but work on the principal of a rising slide (like CVs) so that gas speed is always maximised (if you have a sensitive right foot!)

Fuel consumption may be a little heavy, but who gives a funk about that!

Chris.

MikeRJ

posted on 25/1/07 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
Or just use bike carbs. Better than webbers, easier to many then ITBs are.

Only downside is the lack of expertise in tuning them. i.e. unless you live close to Boggs you might have to hunt around a fair bit to find a rolling road operator than can set them up nicely.

mcerd1

posted on 25/1/07 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
I went for bike carbs (ZX9R for bogg bros) don't know what they are like yet though

even if I have to go to Yorkshire to get them tunned they still workout cheeper than any second hand webbers I've seen recently (it should at least be a good driving in the Yorkshire back roads )

I've seen new webber 45's selling for £350 each - anyone know what the cost of a new Keihin or Mikuni is ?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.