Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: computer freezing
jacko

posted on 25/1/07 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
computer freezing

Our computer keeps freezing and we keep having to reboot it has anyone got any idea why. Its just started doing it lately and its seems to be doing it more as days go by. Graham
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bigandy

posted on 25/1/07 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
It has been pretty cold recently......

Dammit! Too many decisions....

David Jenkins

posted on 25/1/07 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have much disk space left?

Most operating systems (like Windoze) need some space to write stuff while running. If you're running seriously low then you can get unexpected problems...

jacko

posted on 25/1/07 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
HiDavid Ive just checked and there is 74% disc space left have you any other ideas or has anyone else. Graham
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zetec7

posted on 25/1/07 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
A couple of thoughts - are you running enough RAM? An upgrade can help. Do you have a cordless mouse? If the batteries get low, it'll stop working and make it seem as though the computer's frozen up (it happened to me - also, my USB hub just died, and NOTHING connected to it worked). Last (and I do this every time I reboot), I use CTL+ALT+DLT to open the task manager and shut down a lot of unnecessary TSR's (terminate-stay-resident programs) such as Real Player Schedule, IPOD manager stuff, etc. They eat up a LOT of RAM, and the programs will still work when you need them. Doing this speeds up my computer immensely!

http://www.freewebs.com/zetec7/

ProjectX

posted on 25/1/07 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

A little more info will help. Processor, Ram, Operaing system etc, the more you can tell me the more i can tell you. Let me know as much as you can and I am glad to help.

J

PS does it hang/freeze at any particular point? (ie when on the internet, running a particular program etc)

jacko

posted on 25/1/07 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zetec7
A couple of thoughts - are you running enough RAM? An upgrade can help. Do you have a cordless mouse? If the batteries get low, it'll stop working and make it seem as though the computer's frozen up (it happened to me - also, my USB hub just died, and NOTHING connected to it worked). Last (and I do this every time I reboot), I use CTL+ALT+DLT to open the task manager and shut down a lot of unnecessary TSR's (terminate-stay-resident programs) such as Real Player Schedule, IPOD manager stuff, etc. They eat up a LOT of RAM, and the programs will still work when you need them. Doing this speeds up my computer immensely!
Hi Zetec thankyou for the info we will try that Graham

ProjectX

posted on 25/1/07 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm

Be careful about shutting "unused" programs

Many have linked .dll files and as a result f*** a lot more up!

J

the_fbi

posted on 25/1/07 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have a bittorrent client running when its freezing?
Peteff

posted on 25/1/07 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
CTRL_SHIFT_ESC opens task manager without going to the shutdown menu. My lockup problems were due to a faulty ram module. It ran o.k. at a lower speed but I replaced it anyway.

[Edited on 25/1/07 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

jacko

posted on 25/1/07 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the_fbi

Please can you tell me what this means?
Bittorrent - Thanks Graham

the_fbi

posted on 25/1/07 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
quote:
Originally posted by the_fbi

Please can you tell me what this means?
Bittorrent - Thanks Graham

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent

britishtrident

posted on 26/1/07 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
Check the cooling fan(s) aren't stopping.
tks

posted on 26/1/07 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
check this:

- drivers
- ram hardware test
- bios settings, cpu / ram, speeds

in wich way it freezes? display get corrupted but mouse still working?
or just freeze freeze nothing responses
(even numlock don´t) thats the real freeze and display just says the last image?

test with numlock if its frozen (the light won´t come on or stay on.. if its frozen.

depending on OS i would also defregment it. some times it looks like frozen but is it just delays a good defrag can speed it up.

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

Digger Barnes

posted on 26/1/07 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Check the cooling fan(s) aren't stopping.

I will go along with this, also check heat sinks arn't clogged with fluff/dust. This is a common problem I have come accross a few times on my machines.

jacko

posted on 26/1/07 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
computer freezing

Thanks to everyone for ideas we think we may have cured it the tower was full of dust and muck and one of the cooling fans was partly seized. Touch wood the screen hasn't frozen yet and weve been using it for about 5 hours.Graham and family

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.