Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Help - Some Newby Questions
paulmw

posted on 26/1/07 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Help - Some Newby Questions

Finally decided to build my first kit car and am going for an MK Indy. Ive just been to MK's workshop in Worksop and am sold. Help though:

1) What engine, R1, ZX12R or Blade (I want light and fast)

2) Probably gonna go for the new chassis and powder coating - is this recommended

3) Any tips would be useful.

I am looking forward to the build but am a little dawnted by the complexity - words of encouragement are welcomed

Cheers, Paul

macnab

posted on 26/1/07 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
1) oh god here we go!

2) apparenty

3) brace yourself...incoming!

think positive

did that help???

[Edited on 26/1/07 by macnab]

bodger

posted on 26/1/07 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
I've gone for the new chassis & I'm putting an R1 in it. I'm pretty new to all this myself but the R1 seems to come highly recommended for a fairly straightforward build. It's got a reputation of being reasonably bulletproof even in standard form & doesn't need dry sumping. I'm putting in a sump baffle & barnet clutch mod though just to be on the safe side. It should give out around 155bhp & weighs around 60kg.

Might be worth having a word with Malc at Yorkhire engines.

[Edited on 26/1/07 by bodger]

zxrlocost

posted on 26/1/07 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
r1 is a great all rounder

zx12r is becoming the best bang for buck at £1500 ish pounds

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

zxrlocost

posted on 26/1/07 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
my R1 MK

<---------------------

had 330bhp per ton

did 60mph in first gear or there abouts

and as long as your passenger isnt huge the performance basically stays the same as with 1 person in

Very Scary!

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

graememk

posted on 26/1/07 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
depends on your pocket dosnt it ?

Hammerhead

posted on 26/1/07 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
I'm building a CEC indy (sorry lads) but I would recommend the powdercoat treatment for the chassis. The new chassis looks good .

The biggest decision after the ones you have already made is whether to use a single donar sierra, of if you will collect the parts seperately.

What colour bodywork are you going for?

paulmw

posted on 26/1/07 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replys. Probably going for all black and as the budget is tight looks like the R1 engine.
BenB

posted on 26/1/07 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
1) R1 is a nice compromise bike engine... Popular choice at the moment. Fair supply of pranged bikes though so prices aren't rising that much (? at all).

2) I'd definitely recommend powder coating. Looks nicer on exposed chassis parts (e.g. footwell) and lasts longer than painted chassis rails. Also painting a chassis probably isn't the most enthralling experience.... Much better to get it powdercoated so you can get on with the rivetting

3) Assume its going to take three times as long as planned and cost twice as much Otherwise, just build it stage by stage concentrating on the particular bit of the build. None of it is rocket science and if you get stuck just put a question on here and within 20 minutes you'll have five pages of answers

PAUL FISHER

posted on 27/1/07 at 03:46 AM Reply With Quote
It all comes down to buget at the end of the day,if you have a buget of up to £1000 for your engine I would go R1,£1200 TO £1500,then I would go zx12,£1500 to £2000 then you have just got to go new generation 2006 ZX10R/R1/RR1000 BLADE,in that order,all over 175bhp,13500rpm to 14000rpm,superlight weight,you even have a slipper clutch and forged pistons,swing oil pickup in the ZX10R as standard,Malc at yorkshire engines swears by them.
But what ever you chose you will not be disapointed,the new spec-R MK chassis is well designed and handles better than the old MK chassis,and will be able to cope with whatever you decide to fit in it,good luck with the build.

MOz

posted on 27/1/07 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Wot he said above. I've been poking around an engine change project for winter 07 and everyone I've asked (providing budget is OK) says 06 10R.......

Worth going for the latest generation of engines....... I'd consider 06 Blade, 06 ZX10R, 04 onwards R1 or K5 or newer Gixxer thou.... Of course they all benefit from the Power Commander treatment for remapping and fuelling.

MOz

paulmw

posted on 30/1/07 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
Been doing some engine research and am now at information overload. As I want a pretty quick car I think I'll have to stretch the budget.

As the ZX12 comes from a sports tourner isnt it a bit heavy? Also now on this wish list is a Hayabusa

So its either a newer R1, Busa, ZX12 or ZX10

What should I go for?

[Edited on 30/1/07 by paulmw]

[Edited on 30/1/07 by paulmw]

gttman

posted on 30/1/07 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
go for a spin in someones car first before you decide as the difference isn't as great as the price difference unless you are side by side...... the buzz will be great whichever bike engine you go for.

Remember whilst the Busa is king it will need a dry sump so the engine will cost around 3-4k... R1 will be at least half that and will still give ferrari 360 acceleration to 100mph.

Andygtt

Please redefine your limits

mad-butcher

posted on 31/1/07 at 12:29 AM Reply With Quote
powder coating is a must, on my first chassis I was too mean regretted it ever since, ordinary paint is not tough enough and takes to long to get a decent finish, etching primer,rub down,primer,rub down,top coat etc and it chips easier than powder coating
tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
phoenix70

posted on 31/1/07 at 12:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulmw
Been doing some engine research and am now at information overload. As I want a pretty quick car I think I'll have to stretch the budget.

As the ZX12 comes from a sports tourner isnt it a bit heavy? Also now on this wish list is a Hayabusa

So its either a newer R1, Busa, ZX12 or ZX10

What should I go for?

None of the engines you mentioned are that heavy, as they are all bike engines, I really think you should have a run in a BEC, because once you have I'm pretty sure you will reach the conclusion that it doesn't matter which engine you choose, they are all VERY quick (even my boat anchor Pinto is no slouch). You should alway remember that your car with a bike engine will probably be sub 500Kg meaning take any power output and double it, you will soon see that no matter your choice it will be quick. The real decision you need to make, is how deep are your pockets, something like a Busa has a few "hidden" issue, ie dry sumping.

I'm no expert on BEC's but that's my tuppence worth

Cheer

Scott

paulmw

posted on 31/1/07 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
I spoke to Malc at Yorkshire engines (very helpful) and he echo's your comments. Most bike engines will produce thrilling results.

He recommended either 2006 R1 or the ZX10R - He swears by the latter but as always it depends on budget

One further question, do you need the slipper clutch on the ZX10 ?

PAUL FISHER

posted on 31/1/07 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulmw
I spoke to Malc at Yorkshire engines (very helpful) and he echo's your comments. Most bike engines will produce thrilling results.

He recommended either 2006 R1 or the ZX10R - He swears by the latter but as always it depends on budget

One further question, do you need the slipper clutch on the ZX10 ?

Thats one of the best features of the 2006 ZX10R over the R1,or busa, it comes with a slipper clutch as standard+ 178bhp,a swinging baffled oil pick up,forged pistons,and a 13750rpm redline,all standard features,thats busa bhp,in a unit if you want light,that weighs in at just over 60kgs,they are a tiny little unit.

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER]

greggors84

posted on 31/1/07 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
Stop all this talk! Its making me want a bike engine instead of a Zetec for my next engine!!

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

zxrlocost

posted on 31/1/07 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
whichever BEC you go in youll shite yourself

they all do blistering 0-100mph

I wouldnt turn down an early r1 engine about 800 quid complete year 2000 5JJ

160+ if dynoed etc

dont picture an r1 car and a zx12 car one leaving it for dead it just isnt like that

Wadders ran a 13.1 ? 1/4 mile with a zx9r engine.

the main benefit is with a heavier(FAT) passenger a 12r etc will pull better than an R1 also in top gears it will pull better from lower speeds

are you fitting yourself if so an earlier carb engine might be better for you to get going as theres less(lots) wires

have a good think about £ for £ budget

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.