Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Opinions please......
MOz

posted on 26/1/07 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Opinions please......

Don't read too much into this (especially you Sean!!!!) but what are the pros and cons of this from a reliability, road friendlyness, performance, cost, upkeep point of view.....

http://www.holeshotracing.co.uk/tuning/turbo_car_blackbird.asp

Cost would also be an issue and its prolly best you know I'm a mechanical numpty....

MOz

ayoungman

posted on 26/1/07 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
What is the lump going to be put in ?

oh, its to go on a blackbird engine !

i'll fetch me coat

[Edited on 26/1/07 by ayoungman]

"just like that !"

PAUL FISHER

posted on 26/1/07 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Check out user name "Dilley" he's your man to ask about holshot and a turbo install on a black bird,to do it right like he's done it on a black bird,+£7000
MOz

posted on 26/1/07 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ayoungman
What is the lump going to be put in ?

MK INDY. Its already got a Bird engine in it....

MOz

ChrisGamlin

posted on 26/1/07 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Realistically you're looking at £6-10k for a complete conversion, especially as you've effectively hinted that you'd need them to do all the work.

Then, if you're not already dry sumped then you'd need to do that too really, so another couple of grand including install...

zxrlocost

posted on 26/1/07 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
not worth it IMHO
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

bike_power

posted on 26/1/07 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know why Jack still insists on posting those prices, there's so much missing from that kit it's laughable.

If you only want to run 5psi of boost and drive like my old Grandma then fine, if you plan doing track days and keeping it on boost for more than 5 seconds then you need a lot more than Jack is suggesting.

MOz

posted on 26/1/07 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys,

All your opinions are dead helpful. Thanks very much. Expect a number of nieve questions from me in the future!!

BTW zxrlocost, the black car in your avatar.... did you sell it/buy it on ebay last summer??? It looks like one I was lusting after as a watcher!!!

MOz

JoelP

posted on 26/1/07 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
im led to beileve that it isnt rocket science to do the turbo work yourself. Not something i would attempt just yet, but apparently you just get some throttle bodies, knock up a manifold and turbo set up, and then get an aftermarket ecu to run it all. Simple!
zxrlocost

posted on 27/1/07 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Hi MOZ yes it was my car I sold it in August to the chap across the road.
plenty of pics in my archive

ta chris

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

froggy

posted on 27/1/07 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
a book by mike gaines is pretty handy if you want to do it yourself, ive got a uno turbo, rising rate reg and a spacer from ferriday engineering for a cbr 1000 engine ive got and its cost me £300 so far . should be able to run 7psi with the 2wd cossie intercooler ive bought and if it goes tits up its not the end of the world
Danozeman

posted on 27/1/07 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
U2u dilley. Hes just done this. Did he not say he wasnt happy with holeshot for his plenum or something???

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

bike_power

posted on 27/1/07 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
rising rate reg

I see you plan building in to the initial design the most likely method by which the engine will destroy its self . . .

froggy

posted on 27/1/07 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
and i did say that if it goes tits up its not the end of the world ,il see how it does with my lc1 readerthis is where the cbr motor is going hence not throwing any serious money at it Rescued attachment gh.jpg
Rescued attachment gh.jpg

bike_power

posted on 28/1/07 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by froggy
and i did say that if it goes tits up its not the end of the world ,il see how it does with my lc1 readerthis is where the cbr motor is going hence not throwing any serious money at it

That looks an interesting project

There's a lot of Hayabusa engines in the States run on that basis with a power commander too (which only makes it worse !) and there's a steady stream of them being rebuilt because the fpr stuck and it went lean. They are forcing the fuel pressure up to 90psi in some cases so perhaps a less extreme pressure range might be better.

For what they spend on rebuilds and the £250 fpr's they could use a stock bike fpr and a megasquirt or a second hand ECU and some tb's from a smaller engined bike that isn't in demand - if you're pressurising them they don't need to be as large as gsxr1000's or similar tb's.

INDY BIRD

posted on 29/1/07 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
trust me its not worht the expense.

its alot of monet 7k plus to do this and then around a track would it be that much faster.

yes with a proff driver but would average joe like me be able to go any faster, and if you push it and make a mess of the car thats a lot of money down the drain?????,

you could build another car for the cost of the turbo conversion.

anyway in std form they are quick enough other options for more power is big bore kit better manifold 4-2-1 cam change etc this gets you to around 200 bhp and around £2000 tts do it that should be plenty in a indy to have fun with???

anyway good luck with any route but i think the car will be quick enough as is.

Sean

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.