Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: pinto dry sumps?
omega0684

posted on 27/1/07 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
pinto dry sumps?

evening all,

what is involved in converting a wet sump system to a dry sump system on a pinto. how would you go about the conversion?

Alex

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 27/1/07 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Why bother?

You will need a dry sump plate, pump and drive and a load of hoses and adapters. They let you get the engine lower, thats it (but since your mounts are fixed you cant do anything about that anyway), they actually weigh more than a wet sump. Take up a lot more space too.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

omega0684

posted on 27/1/07 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
just imterested dave, trying to expand my knowledge...............

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
procomp

posted on 27/1/07 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Hi thought a pic of a dry sump layout may be of interest.

Image deleted by owner [/img]

Scanned from burton calalouge.

cheers matt

novacaine

posted on 27/1/07 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
the main advantage in terms of track driving is the fact that the engine will not suffer from oil starvation when the car is encountering large cornering forces and the oil moves away from the oil pickup point

if you can afford it and have enough space to do so its apparently a worthwile modification

matt

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

MikeRJ

posted on 27/1/07 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
As said main benefit is immunity from oil starvation and ground clearance, but dry sumps give better oil control within the engine because the crankcase is always under a slight vacuum, so oil is less inclined to go up past piston rings and down valve guides etc.
gazza285

posted on 28/1/07 at 05:00 AM Reply With Quote
Not forgetting that you get more power.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

omega0684

posted on 30/1/07 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
how and why do you get more power?

Jebus

posted on 31/1/07 at 12:06 AM Reply With Quote
since there isnt any pressure in the sump the piston not got anything to compress under that so it can move a lil bit easier so bit more power
gazza285

posted on 31/1/07 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
And there is generally less oil sloshing about and splashing the crank, and also there is less chance of combustion chamber contamination due to the lower crankcase pressures.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.