Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Blowing collector
BenB

posted on 28/1/07 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Blowing collector

You may remember I was having a problem with my right exhaust fizzing on back-off and occasionally back-firing on switch off. The cause became obvious today when I checked out the exhaust... Infact, I seem to recall it being suggested at the time......

I was checking out my exhaust system and noticed where the two headers go into the collector before the can there's a big dirty black stain where obviously the exhausts been leaking....

From the outside the tubes are very tight together so I can't get a welder in between them... I can get access to the inside of the collector where the tubes meet but its well dirty now...

Any ideas?

Polish / grind off the crud with a dremel then MIG any holes (haven't tried stainless at the moment, presumably need different wire and different gases)....

Do the same but smear hi-temp epoxy over the join?? Avoids the cost of SS wire, gas etc and I might be able to "wick" the epoxy into any gaps....

Any other ideas?

I'm happy leaving it for a moment but I want to use wideband feedback when I install the EFi and reckon the leak could cause major problems....

britishtrident

posted on 28/1/07 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Firegum
BenB

posted on 28/1/07 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
When I saw the title for this thread, I imagined a rent man or an insurance man with a smile on his face that he couldn;t get rid of.

I'll get me coat etc.

BenB

posted on 28/1/07 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers. Looks like just the job.... Off to Ebay I go....

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Firegum

Peter Cowley

posted on 28/1/07 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
westfield use dow corning plumba flue +300c silicone sealant, it worked on mine which was doing exactly the same.....this stuff stays flexible and wont rattle out once it hardens.

Cheers

Peter.

BenB

posted on 29/1/07 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers. will get some just in case- use it to hold all the Firegum in place when it starts cracking!!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.