Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone know the definitive on the legal issues of helmets in road cars????
MOz

posted on 29/1/07 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone know the definitive on the legal issues of helmets in road cars????

If anyone knows a roughly accurate answer to this I'd appreciate it.....

What is the legal position when wearing a full face helmet (motorcycle Arai) in a screenless MK Indy kit car?????

If this is OK, do the visor laws that apply to motorcyclists also apply to car drivers (ie the dark visor issue on a sunny day....)

Anyone know???

Thanks

MOz

macnab

posted on 29/1/07 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
legally I don't think dark tinted glasses are legal for driving in a car, could be wrong. Same rules apply to bikes and the helmets.

MOz

posted on 29/1/07 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
Visor issue aside, is it legal to wear a full face crash helmet in a car on the public highway????

MOz

phoenix70

posted on 29/1/07 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
I think, as long as the car is an open top car, then yes, it is legal to wear a helmet on the public highway
02GF74

posted on 29/1/07 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Motorcycly helmet laws apply ot motorcyclists where the wearing of a helpmet is compulsory; I am not aware there is any rule for car drivers (4 and 3 wheeled), open top or not.?
smart51

posted on 29/1/07 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
I was stopped by the police on the way home from SVA for not having number plates. On reading the appointment letter, the policeman radioed in for confirmation then came back and gave the car a good inspection. When he could find nothing wrong, he told me they wer looking for criminals in stolen cars or cars with no insurance / tax / mot. He didn't bat an eyelid at my crash helmet. Under the circumstances, I'd have thought that he'd have pounced on it if he'd thought it wrong.

Not a definative answer but quite indicative I think

zxrlocost

posted on 29/1/07 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
no lawa about wearing a helmet

I had my dark visor down permanently

Looks better

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

macnab

posted on 29/1/07 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
how many lives would be saved if folk did have to wear when in an ordinary car...

Fozzie

posted on 29/1/07 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MOz
Visor issue aside, is it legal to wear a full face crash helmet in a car on the public highway????

MOz

Yes it is legal in an open-top car, but NOT a legal requirement.

It is NOT legal to wear a helmet of any description on the public highway in a tin-top.

FWIW I wear (approved) safety glasses with irridescent lenses in my '7', not legal in the eyes of the law, and not been 'stopped' yet.
However, only worn in daylight hours, and I use different lenses for dusk/night driving.

HTH Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

MOz

posted on 29/1/07 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks chaps. I have been riding/racing motorcycles for 15 years and one final major accident has pushed me to the four wheeled way of life in an attempt to keep me breathing for longer.

I will wear a helmet everytime I go out in the car (when I collect it) and will use the dark visor when its sunny but will keep the clear visor with me too.

Just wondered on the legal issues thats all!

MOz

cossiebri

posted on 29/1/07 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
What about one from this company, seems to cover all bases...

http://www.fmhelmets.co.uk/caberg/index.html
seems reasonable money as well,
i fancy a trip in matt black..

If it doesn't fit MODIFY it!!
Cheers BriF

David Jenkins

posted on 29/1/07 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Caberg Justissimo - full-face flip front with an internal dark visor. Best of both worlds, as it takes just a second to flip from dark to light.

Getting back to the topic - I couldn't drive my car without a helmet. I like to see where I'm going, and breathe while I'm doing it!

DJ

[Edited on 29/1/07 by David Jenkins]

cossiebri

posted on 29/1/07 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
That's why i'm going to use one, had a go in a friend's and would like a bit more protection than an aeroscreen
(i knew others on here had these helmets,that's where i got the tip from!)

Cheers BriF

Simon

posted on 29/1/07 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cossiebri
........protection than an aeroscreen
(i knew others on here had these helmets,that's where i got the tip from!)

Aeroscreen - pansy

You don't need a screen, and don't think you'll suffocate either - your body won't let you.

No probs with law, but if you don't have a screen then I'd recommend best eye protection you can get, along with something to protect your neck (preferably not a scarf that could get caught round something off vehicle, for obvious reasons). A bee sting in the neck followed by anaphalactic shock wouldn't be pleasant - this happened to a friend on his m/cycle. Fortunately he had some anti histamines on him.

ATB

Simon

cossiebri

posted on 29/1/07 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
I prefer the look of a (small) aeroscreen, something like the one gts do (if i can actually get one!)(might try rally design)
stands back and ducks for cover......

Cheers BriF

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.