Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dash board and scuttle design
caber

posted on 1/2/07 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Dash board and scuttle design

Folks
i am looking for some comments on my dashboard and scuttle. The leading edge of the scuttle is ally sheet formed over 25mm X 3mm steel bar giving a diameter of about 5 mm for the edge. The dash itself is 1.2 ally sheet with a 180degree curve formed over a 38mm pipe. I don't want a padded dash so will finish either in crinkle paint or with a sheet of vinyl used for the rest of the interior. I intend to mount the dials in the steering wheel safe area and i think i only need a single switch for the rear fog light that again will be in the safe area. I am trying to get a Lotus 7 series 2 look for the car.

I am also using a Lotus Elan umbrella handle hand brake to the right of the column again in the safe area.

At the moment the dash is fixed with M6 button head allen screws though I may change these for countersunk allen screws in cups. I gather there have been some SVA failures because of the sharp edge of the hex recess though with the dash mounted this far back i don't think a 100mm ball will reach the screws.

Any comments gratefully received

Thanks

Caber Rescued attachment Photo_012107_002.jpg
Rescued attachment Photo_012107_002.jpg

mandbsheldon

posted on 1/2/07 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Very Very neat!!!!!

leigh

ayoungman

posted on 1/2/07 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
lovely job Sir !

"just like that !"

ricklawn

posted on 1/2/07 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
sorry i can't help with fastners. but i think it would be a shame to cover a fantastic looking dah with vinyl
ecosse

posted on 1/2/07 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Nice 1 caber
Dont suppose you've got any pics of the framework for it?
I could be doing with some ideas for mine, it's the next job, and I'm struggling a bit with how to go about it

Cheers
Alex

caber

posted on 1/2/07 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
I am afraid it doesn't look quite so good in the metal ! There are a few scuffs and scratches and one annoying slight ripple none of which show in the photo. I will try and get rid of the scratches but ultimately may need to fill and paint it to get a perfect finish!

The big question is will it pass SVA? If not what should I do to it to get it to pass?

Alex the frame is a simple bent hoop of the 25 X 3 more or less to the book form but slightly higher at the dash end. At the bonnet end I formed a hoop from 20 X 20 X 1 square box section and braced the two together with a single strip of the bar at the top and the book form of frame at the bottom. The skin was formed around the dash bar with considerable beating with a large rubber mallet starting at the centre and working outwards in two or three passes this allowed me to "tuck in" the corners without too many ripples. I then formed the flanges and rivitted them to the side tubes then repeated the beating to the front edge to wrap the skin around the front tube after filling the dash end with sikaflex and putting plenty on the front hoop to stick it all together. This does not provide a landing for the bonnet, the current plan is to form a hoop of 12mm X12mm X1 ally angle and rivet this to the front hoop with the infill panel on the inside of this to hide the inevitable cuts that will be required. This angle will be fitted with either a foam strip or a proper bonnet seal whatever is necessary to get the bonnet to sit
properly.

Caber

[Edited on 2/1/2007 by caber]

ecosse

posted on 1/2/07 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that I think I get the idea, although I've never tried to bend ally like that b4, first time for everything I spose!

Cheers

Alex

rebelrider

posted on 1/2/07 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
good job looks great
caber

posted on 1/2/07 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
Alex, Neither had I!

caber

02GF74

posted on 2/2/07 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
good effort!!

the bottom edge I take it was bent over the 38 mm tube?

bolt heads - without checking, I don't think they stick out too far; what otheres had done is to fill in the heads with silicone stuff or even car bidy filler - you can always dig it out of the head should you need to remove the dash.

ecosse

posted on 2/2/07 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caber
Alex, Neither had I!

caber

LOL..

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.