Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Feck - Oil leak
Benzine

posted on 3/2/07 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Feck - Oil leak

Couldn't find anything when searching...Just went out into the garage and saw an oil leak under the MK. As i've not driven it for few weeks I hadn't noticed this, it's fairly substantial. The coolant level has gone down a lot too. I'm guessing this is bad. Cracked head/blown gasket? What should I do about it? Drain the oil and coolant? At the moment I don't have the time/money for big repairs so is there anything I can do to stop it getting worse before I have the time/money to repair?

Thanks for any info

[Edited on 3/2/07 by Benzine]

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 3/2/07 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
I though it was standard on a Pinto...

Got a Pinto, get some drive cleaner...

No offence!

Steve

Benzine

posted on 3/2/07 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
none taken.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 3/2/07 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire

No offence!

Steve

Huh typical............................

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

JoelP

posted on 3/2/07 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
sounds odd to me, loosing oil to drive and coolant without trace isnt necessarily one problem. Is there any smeg in the oil (in the filler neck)?

If it was my car, id change the oil/filter unless it has been done within the last few 100 miles, and just keep levels topped up until you can be sure what the problem(s) is. Look out for poor starting, smokey exhaust and smegged oil / oily water. I dont personally think you have a problem, from the symptoms, besides an oil leak. Investigate where it is coming from, could be simple ie slack drain plug/filter etc

auzziejim

posted on 3/2/07 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire

No offence!

Steve

who does that help? go post something about BEC's else where

the cheapest option would be to top fluids up and run it up to temp see what happens if anything

for the price of a gasket set id be tempted to teak the head off and inspect.

james

Benzine

posted on 3/2/07 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
No smeg in the filler neck, some slight corrosion around the spark plugs. For some reason my dipstick won't go all the way down so I can't get an oil level reading.
DIY Si

posted on 3/2/07 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Is the oil level low enough to whip the sump off? It may not help much, but will show why the dipstick won't go in properly.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

MkIndy7

posted on 3/2/07 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Wonder if its a Water leak... with a few drops of oil in?

1 drop of oil in a puddle of water would look like a massive leak, could be this maybe espescially if you don't know how much oil you've actually lost.

Hope the car had antifreeze in it.. or has been kept somewhere warm

Benzine

posted on 3/2/07 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Had antifreeze in and has been in a garage all the time.

The dipstick hasn't gone in since i've had a shallow sump fitted, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. It's a case of fiddling with it for a while. It's the tube that the dipstick sits in that's causing that problem, not the sump itself.

omega 24 v6

posted on 3/2/07 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Where's the oil on the floor in relation to the car and how much??
Look for the usuall front and rear crank seals and around the oil pump. Also check the sump bolts I've seen them become VERY slack on the hotrod due to the hard ride and vibration (could be similar on a seven).
How much coolants gone??
Try and get the dipstick in cause if the oil level is up and the coolant is dowm
Good luck.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

Benzine

posted on 3/2/07 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Just had the car up on stands, there is a crack on the sump. Must have done this the last time I had the car out, it's small (found it after wiping away oil from the sump) and oil appears from it when you wipe it clean. I guess over the course of weeks a tiny leak could do this.
DIY Si

posted on 3/2/07 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
A small spilt in the bottom can empty the entire lot at a surprising rate! Glad to hear it's something minor!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Benzine

posted on 3/2/07 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
Got that all patched up now but the dipstick simply won't go in It's a good 2 inches short. I guess I could drain all the oil and put in the correct capacity in. Does an RS2000 ally sump change the capacity according to the haynes manual? ^__^

Edit: All done. Put new oil in and all liquid levels are back to normal ^__^ Thanks for all the help

[Edited on 3/2/07 by Benzine]

Hellfire

posted on 3/2/07 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Glad to see you got it sorted...

As 'most' people know, BEC's aren't faultless...

Steve

omega 24 v6

posted on 3/2/07 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

As 'most' people know, BEC's aren't faultless...

An admission. Methinks you might be out of the gang

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

DIY Si

posted on 3/2/07 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Nah, it's just me breaking mine all the time!

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.