Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wheels and Tyres
MOz

posted on 5/2/07 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
Wheels and Tyres

Another nieve noobie special this.

The car I have bought (MK Indy) is running 17" alloys at the moment.

I plan to use this car on dry summer days only with the possibility of a couple of trackdays a year.

I could recommend motorcycles tyres to do this job but haven't a scooby about the car equivilent..... Can anyone recommend a wheel size and a sticky but vaguely treaded road tyre for this job????

I guess I am after the car version of the Pirelli Supercorsa / Metzeler Rennsport type tyre (if you know what that is!!!)

Oh, and while we are at it, how do you classify wheel sizes for fitment from a hub/bolts point of view.

Help???

MOz

nick205

posted on 5/2/07 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there!

I can't recomend a specific tyre, but assuming your Indy has been built with the standard Sierra running gear you will need...

Ford 108mm PCD wheel bolt spacing on the wheels and they will need to be suitable for stud and nut fitting (as opposed to wheels bolts into threaded holes in the hubs)

ET (wheel off set) of approx. 35mm

Accepted wisdom suggests that the Ind (and other 7 style cars) perform better on smaller wheels of 13-14"

I'm sure someone will be along to recomend specific tyres. I have Yokohama A539s fitted to mine, but haven't driven it any distance yet.

HTH
Nick

graememk

posted on 5/2/07 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
imho

17" are to big, i'm running 16" only becaus ethey didnt cost me anything

if i was buying again, 15" on 185's for me, but thats only my opinion, others will say different for other type of use

MOz

posted on 5/2/07 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Nick, thanks. V Helpful. I have bought the car off a site member and I'm pretty sure he said it was Sierra/Ford kit.

I think from a visual point of view I'd go for a 15" wheel instead.

What tyres??? Throw some makes and models at me so I can do a search for em...

MOz

nick205

posted on 5/2/07 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Yokohama A539 or A520
chockymonster

posted on 5/2/07 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Toyo Proxies R888 - road legal slick

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PAUL FISHER

posted on 5/2/07 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
As said above R888,toyo's cheapest option,but still a great tyre,AO48'S or A032,Yoko's,or Kumo V70A',all a quite bit more expensive than the Toyo's,if your looking at replacing the tyres you have got fitted at the moment,then a set of 205 40 17,R888 will cost around £400,check out www.tyretraders.co.uk.
They still handle ok with 17" wheels on.
Or you could get a set of 15" wheels for track days etc,and leave your 17" for road use,thats the option Sean went for when he had the car. Rescued attachment tkcl-snet-06-8835.jpg
Rescued attachment tkcl-snet-06-8835.jpg

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.