Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: V4 engines, whats best?
goodall

posted on 7/2/07 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
V4 engines, whats best?

Whats out there in the V4 range of engines?
trogdor

posted on 7/2/07 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
loads,

most notable is the ford V4 of which there are two types the tanus which is fitted to my saab, and is the german version and the english version which is fitted to corsairs and mk 1 transits.

the saab/german is much better than the english one, the parts arent interchangeable altough they look similar, the 1500 version i have in my car is about 65bhp but can be taken up to nearly 200bhp with enough money.

are you looking for a v4? as mine is coming out this weekend to be replaced by a zetec so am trying to find someone who wants it.

it weighs less than a zetec, approx 100kg

oh there are the lancias that have v4 engines but there are only offset by a few degrees and some bike engines are v4's but am not sure beyond that

[Edited on 7/2/07 by trogdor]

ecosse

posted on 7/2/07 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Don't what there is car engine wise but honda's pan engine is probably about the best v4 bike engine out there, unless you can dig up an old vf1000r unit

Cheers

Alex

Humbug

posted on 7/2/07 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Honda Pan-European ST1100 bike engine is a V4. I think it was used/recommended in Stuart Taylors

Damn! just beat me to it

[Edited on 07.02.2007 by Humbug]

Jebus

posted on 7/2/07 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
well the mighty v4 one of the best bike engines ever made are made by honda, fitted in a 400cc version with about 60 hp in small sportsbike, but the version that youd want would be a 750 or bigger fitted in vfr 750 and 800's and pan europeans. if you are stinking rich then you could get a 990cc desmocidichi from a ducati, which is very close 2 the moto gp engine and puts out 200 hp.
BenB

posted on 7/2/07 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
PanEuro Just like mine!!! Bit marginal on ground clearance unless you dry sump it but otherwise v nice, good and strong (hundreds of thousands of miles often)... Nice low down power, cheap as chips, lots of positives (go for the post 1996 engine though as it has the better 40A alternator)....
goodall

posted on 7/2/07 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
can bike engines be mated to car gearboxes?

its for an idea ive sorta half been thinking about, which is, a AWD mini using audi quattro gearbox and rear diff and two set of mini front subframes and hubs, ete... and the idea about V4 is to keep it short at the front otherwise it would have to be a radial engine out of an plane

[Edited on 7/2/07 by goodall]

gazza285

posted on 7/2/07 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Or a flat four engine? Subaru do a range of flat fours with four wheel drive.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 7/2/07 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
how about a V-max??

145bhp....

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

jkarran

posted on 7/2/07 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
You could strip the bike box and lock it in 5th/6th then use that to drive the car 'box I guess but the weight and drive train losses would make it a bit pointless with a bike motor and of course you'd be junking a nice sequential box for a clunky old AUDI unit. Coupling them together I guess you'd need to have the splined center from a car clutch welded to a sprocket adaptor/spacer. Use the bike clutch. It'd also spin the wrong way for most diffs (maybe not S2000?) so you'd need to run them upside down which you probably couldent do if the AUDI box uses an integral front diff.

Maybe see if you can find a car with a seperate transfer box/center diff, that way at least you'd keep the sequential bike box?

Sounds not very tempting to me
jk

[Edited on 7/2/07 by jkarran]

goodall

posted on 7/2/07 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
well the idea is to keep costs down so the modern japanese motor and box would have to be a no, unless found for the right price and the flat engine would be good for low cog, as for bikes engines id have to say no not what im looking for and i think fully manual is alot nicer that that silly idea of taping a button to change gear also transfer is just all wrong for what i want to
Liam

posted on 7/2/07 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
If using a bike engine it would probably be better to gut the audi box and just directly drive the centre diff in it. Or similarly drive the back half of a ford 4x4 box (then the engine can be behind the front axle. Keep the bike box. You need to have a go in a BEC if you still think H-pattern manual with clutch is better than clutchless sequential!! I love car engines, but the sequential box will be the real missing ingredient in my finished car!

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gazza285

posted on 7/2/07 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
How about an Alfa flat four then, mated to your Audi box. You can get complete Alfas for peanuts. I meant complete with rust, before there's any wisecracks.

Scooby engines and boxes do not have to be expensive, unless you go for one of the high performance ones.

goodall

posted on 7/2/07 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
nope its a mini so the engine is infront of the front axle, i like the audi system because it keeps the driveshafts straight and that prevents torque steer.

whats the power output of a VW V4 from a beetle anyone know?

goodall

posted on 7/2/07 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
yes that sounds like a good way to get a short engine an alfa
gazza285

posted on 7/2/07 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
VW flat four power? Rubbish. The top models had 53 horsepower, which is why some have been fitted with Alfa and Subaru engines.

goodall

posted on 7/2/07 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
what would £100 pick me up in the alfa market?
Richard Quinn

posted on 7/2/07 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
"well the idea is to keep costs down" - That's a shame. What about one of these...
Link
Scroll down and have a look at the piccies

Johnmor

posted on 7/2/07 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Alfa Sud

The Alfa sud had the flat four, cast block but a compact unit, 1.5 Ti had 105 bhp.
Later Alfa 33 had flat 4 upto a 1.7l, 135 Bhp.
Nissan Cherry Europe also used the Alfa engine

The sud and 33 had a transvers type box that placed the engine in front of the wheels with inboard disc brakes.

Alfa Boxer Engine
Alfa Boxer Engine

tks

posted on 8/2/07 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
VFR800 FI

- 10 Horses more than e ST1100
- Fuel injection
- 35Amp reg.
- 6 Gears
- lighter??

Nothing to add...

Tks

[Edited on 8/2/07 by tks]

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

goodall

posted on 8/2/07 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
so cant get power from a V4 with out using a bike engine or get a ford tanus engine from a saab

[Edited on 8/2/07 by goodall]

gazza285

posted on 9/2/07 at 05:04 AM Reply With Quote
How about a Mazda rotary?

goodall

posted on 9/2/07 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
the wankle, too complex and dont the tips of the rotor not get eaten in no time
gazza285

posted on 9/2/07 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Too complex? Only got about three moving parts and an oil pump. As for tip life, I think they are good for about 60,000miles or thereabouts.

goodall

posted on 9/2/07 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
yea but is there not some sorta difficult gear system is the middle? would be a very nice engine to use i must say but where do you get a good one at a locost price?
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.