Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Which chasiss
miniconverter

posted on 12/2/07 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Which chasiss

Have just registered as I am interested in building a seven type car and am looking for some suitable plans that match the following criteria

I am six foot tall and weigh 20 stone
Want a true independent rear suspension (think I have seen this on a MK car)
Would like a sub 5 second 0-60
Don't really want a bike engine

I have been looking at the mcsorley 7+4 but this doesn't give any plans for a IRS
Looking at various possibilities for engines such as Vauxhall red top but might be a bit heavy or Japanese 2.0 litre 16V has anyone used an SR20DET out of a Nissan 200SX easily good for in excess of 200BHP
What ever engine I fit I will probably fit nos (incredible torque at the flick of a switch)

I have many years motor trade experience and we currently rent a workshop from a steel fabrication company so have access to cutters, benders, welders, huge flat metal benches and just about every thing needed to build the chassis.

Any ideas or info would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

PS I have built many quick cars in the past but no kits including cars which have been cover cars on magazines (see November 2006 Mini mag)

DIY Si

posted on 12/2/07 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Firstly welcome!
Are you looking to buy or build a chassis? IIRC the MNR chassis is tested on there in house lanky bloke, so you should fit. The other, slightly wider option, is the Luego Viento chassis, which is more than capable of hiding V8's.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

miniconverter

posted on 12/2/07 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
Firstly welcome!
Are you looking to buy or build a chassis? IIRC the MNR chassis is tested on there in house lanky bloke, so you should fit. The other, slightly wider option, is the Luego Viento chassis, which is more than capable of hiding V8's.

Build a chassis and as much as possable of the other bits

flak monkey

posted on 12/2/07 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the site

Theres plans on my site for Irs and de dion which you can adapt if you decide to make a wider chassis (+4 is the common extra width, and bodywork is availble off the shelf, any other width and you need to modify the std bodywork yourself).

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

fesycresy

posted on 13/2/07 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
I looked at the SR20DET, great in a straight line but can you imagine the turbo coming on boost mid way through a corner in a 500kg car ?

For these car's I would say normally asperated everytime (unless it's a turbo busa).

I've got a bike engine (R1) and it's dangerous on the road, especially if you have little self control

I'm doing another next winter / spring and it looks like it's going to be an S2000 or Duratec motor.

Lyn.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

richard thomas

posted on 13/2/07 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fesycresy

I'm doing another next winter / spring and it looks like it's going to be an S2000 or Duratec motor.

Lyn.

What about a red top.....

smart51

posted on 13/2/07 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
The Vortx chassis is a little wider than the book chassis, about 56mm IIRC. The roll bar height is made to measure so it will fit you. It has independant suspension all round.

The "new book" is sierra based with IRS and is also said to be 2" wider than the old "book" chassis. The new book isn't quite out yet though.

TimC

posted on 13/2/07 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richard thomas
quote:

Lyn.

What about a red top.....

More money than sense!

richard thomas

posted on 13/2/07 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Just thought i'd re-open the old debate....

FlansS14

posted on 13/2/07 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I looked at the SR20DET, great in a straight line but can you imagine the turbo coming on boost mid way through a corner in a 500kg car ?

Thats the best bit about it it shouldn't be too bad with little boost and a propper Ecu and Map

Why didn't i just make it simple!

iank

posted on 13/2/07 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
I'd wait a couple of weeks and get the new IRS +2 book before making a decision.

I'd expect at least some of the suppliers to be selling wishbones etc within a few months.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Johnmor

posted on 13/2/07 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Make me an offer!!!

Viento will cope with your height, but getting 20 stone from 0-60 in 5 is a tall order.

Sorry!!

The viento is a great chassis and will accept a V6, V8 and i bet i could get a V10 in it.

I put in a V6 and i have lots of room.

Chr!S

posted on 13/2/07 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
For a bit more control and an easier installation: SR20DE (-T). Whole range of tuning parts for the engine, can see in excess of 200 HP at the wheels in Primera GTs without ITB, but costs...

SR20VE: 197 HP vvti version is another possibility

Im building a 'book' chassis +4 inches for the sierra rear and some increased stability and seat choices. Still undecided between the Zetec (easy) VS 180+ HP 3SGE (need custom bell housing as Im not sure Toyota T50 can take the power).

The 4AGE is another decent japanese option!

Basically you can do what you like as long as you can match GB/engine and mate to a propshaft and rear diff

miniconverter

posted on 13/2/07 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
New book sounds interesting does anybody know when it will be available and where from.

Will also make arms etc myself

SR20DET still sounds best option plus I Would fit nos with a progressive controller. Should be able to see an extra reliable 100BHP quite easily

DIY Si

posted on 13/2/07 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
I hope you have a deep pocket, or are mates with the owner of Yokohama! You'll spend all day melting your back tyres! Should look impressive though!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Chr!S

posted on 14/2/07 at 04:07 AM Reply With Quote
Engine choices

you mention liking the "torque at the flick of a switch": The SR20VE will do this without needing nitrous, which of course can be added. The ve is about the same price and so much more drivable IMHO. Ive previously owned an SR20DET 200sx as well as had experiences of a VE primera (higher, heavier, FWD...). Ve beat it everytime. Unless you had serious tuning money the VE would make the turbo look silly. Im just offering this as advice as the turbo delivery doesn't really seem to suit these type of cars. A linear controllable 'instant' torque NA will be much faster in real world terms (with roughly the same power, which they have....). Being as they will both bolt up to the same 'box, it shouldn't matter yet, but you need to give this a good going over before you get donors etc... The only complication is making sure you get a proper matching ECU or be prepared to wire your own cam switching unit. Mind you the turbo installation will still require a fair amount of wiring anyway.....

If you want to tune it then the turbo would start to make sense. By no means is +100 hp 'reliable' unless its done perfectly (usually meaning $$$) - so if you're after 300 hp make it bullet-proof!

Im not sure what gearbox would be a straight fit for these engines without being over the top in price. SX Gearbox is an obvious choice, you might even be able to squeeze a ZX gearbox if you wanted something a bit stronger...

For other japanese:

Toyota BEAMS 3SGE: 216 hp 2.0 Natural RWD installation and strong GB [grab from Altezza], Two stage VVT-i.
Toyota 3SGE non vvt-i: 177 hp 20. FWD Unless MR2 G-limited. Hp and torque curves are ruler straight. Good performance engine, grab from celica GT (94 < OR mr2 g-Limited. T50 Box might not take the power, supra box might have to be used. (Uncertain on figures).
Mitsibushi 4G63/4G93 One is 1.8 turbo one is 2.0 (can never remember which). Can be fitted into satria GTis so should be compact. Mitsibushi build excellent turbos. This engine is available without Turbo if you dont have the money. 160+ HP possable with care in the 1.8 form.
Subaru Turbos might JUST fit, but don't sit in a very nice position. Manifolds might make it too wide.
Mazda 2.5 V6: See Ford (zetec?) V6
Mazda Rotary: Compact / light / powerful but use oil and need maintenence. Cosmo B20 Rotors are the way for big power (+500HP)
Suzuki G13B - 1.3 with 100 HP, highly tuned already, so no need to worry. Cutlas engines are 115 HP. Turbocharges well.
Honda H22A: Big engine, heavy, but available between 190 and 220 HP.
Honda B18C: Best compromise between performance / weight. Might be expensive. (~185 HP IIRC)
Honda B16A: Compact VTEC unit with 160 HP. Cheap and popular. 150 HP units are even cheaper and can be tuned to regain the 10 hp loss for not much money.
Honda D16: Cheap, can find anywhere, if it goes wrong buy another etc... 130 hp in CRX is a good source.

I am at a loss to advise on gearboxes for most of these engines....

Chris

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.