Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Honda v-tech
ned

posted on 4/7/03 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
Honda v-tech

Has anyone thought of using this engine? I have only just found out how great it is, though don't know what gearbox would fit to it!

It's an all aluminium 2ltr 16v vvc engine as fitted to the latest civic type-r. It's 220bhpish as standard and they can be tuned to 300bhp, 400bhp with a supercharger. I know someone with a contact who can buy them ready to go (possibly new from honda) for £6k (dry sumped etc). These people are using the engine as a base for their new trackday car project!

Anyone got any info / opinions on this?

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Gremlin

posted on 4/7/03 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Easy tiger! LOCOST!

EZy GreMLiN

"The only way to get rid of temptation is too give in to it..!"

stephen_gusterson

posted on 4/7/03 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
when ever anyone mentions honda engines, someone jumps in and says they rotate in the opposite direction to other engines.

This time its me.

atb

steve

PS

for 6 grand you could buy the tangerine ninja (a whole car) and keep 1k!!!!!!!

its hard to find any evidence of financial extravagance on this site!

[Edited on 4/7/03 by stephen_gusterson]

Gremlin

posted on 4/7/03 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
If i had anywhere near that much cash for an engine i would be going ZX-12 for 1500 Quid.

EZy GreMLiN

"The only way to get rid of temptation is too give in to it..!"

Findlay234

posted on 4/7/03 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
or two of them
kingr

posted on 4/7/03 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Or 4 for that matter (I'm a smart arse, and I know it )

Kingr

[Edited on 4/7/03 by kingr]

kingr

posted on 4/7/03 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
BTW, according to my sources that engine has 200Bhp as standard, unless it's changed very recently.

I'd say that 300Bhp would be pushing it rather, it's pretty hot as it is, and would require thousands of pounds of modifications to make half way durable. You'd be better off buying something like an audi RS4 engine. 2.7 litres, twin turbos, and 380Bhp.

Kingr

ned

posted on 4/7/03 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
just for info, apparantly this one spins the right way Stephen!

(disclaimer: so I've been told)

Ned.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 4/7/03 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned

Ned.

probably

if you can cope with the size - and its considerable! (amount of times I have said that in my dreams) the V12 jag is 299 hp and you can pick em up from ebay for 100 quid or so.

I dunno how you would get it in , but lotsa standard power!

atb

steve

PS

on the other hand, there was talk a few months back on TOL of using a moped engine in a locost for tax / license reasons!

Alan B

posted on 4/7/03 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned

Ned.

Ned, I believe this is true of only the very latest..esp. the S2000....I think the vast majority of V-tecs (i.e. affordable ones) do rotate the wrong way....or so I'm told...

ned

posted on 4/7/03 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
evidentally people this not a viable affordable route, as these are out of the latest civic type-r. that said i have seen a couple of them written off on the a303, around chicklade i think (on the single carriage way bit at the bottom of the hill)

Ned.

macspeedy

posted on 4/7/03 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
ha

There is the other option pick up a s2000 engine 6 speed geaer box limited slip diff for £3000 low mileage and your sorted, honda v-tec have been fitted look at play school, do components for slyva cars they say not to ask but might be worth a try.. http://www.plays-kool.co.uk/ download their brochure page 3 you'l see what i mean.
Mark Allanson

posted on 4/7/03 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
The Ariel Atom used a japanese 220BHP std Honda Type R , if they can do it, it must be possible - at what cost, ? who knows
Alan B

posted on 5/7/03 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
It does appear that in the Atom that the engine is offset to the right (as you look forward) which with FWD/trans-mid power units is a usual sign of normal rotation......(especially when compared to most FWD Honda units).....

However, as they are using the whole Honda powertrain lock, stock and barrel then rotation does not matter....

So, my point.....erm?...not sure I have one..

Peteff

posted on 5/7/03 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
You could get your wrong way Honda engine and put it in back to front with a bike type adaptor on the front pulley and run a shaft from that to a transaxle like the Renault or Porsche system. Didn't anybody else think of that?

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

GasGasGas

posted on 5/7/03 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
SIX GRAND!!!!!!!!!

I could think of 6000 things better than doshing out on a rice burner that no-one knows which way it turns!
Rick

posted on 5/7/03 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
You could buy a whole damaged Nissan Skyline GTR for £2500 and use the inteligent 4 wheel drive.
Probably get half your money back on the rest of the bits

Rick

MattWatson

posted on 6/7/03 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Why is everyone worried about the engine rotating the "wrong way" around?

If you are using a rear differential, you can flip it over, and it will drive the car forward just like a regular transmission.

However if you leave the differential in the "normal" position, you will have a new car for reverse land speed records...

Matt Watson
--------------------------------
VW 1.6L SOHC Turbo Mid engined car

http://members.shaw.ca/wavindustries/

Peteff

posted on 6/7/03 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
use the inteligent 4 wheel drive.

I'm not having a car that's cleverer than me I have enough trouble with my bloody goldfish (keeps hypnotising me).

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

kingr

posted on 6/7/03 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
I seem to recall someone said the Skyline engine and gearbox was about 12 feet long or something, not great if unless you want a six seater or something.

Kingr

Stu16v

posted on 7/7/03 at 12:19 AM Reply With Quote
The latest generation VTEC engines rotate conventionally, i.e. front pulley rotates clockwise. 230 bhp from a standard S2000 engine (and apparently the latest Accord Type R's will have the same spec engine albeit in FWD form). There is already a Westfield fitted with an S2000 engine and box (and at least one more on the way) and they go like f**k....

[Edited on 7/7/03 by Stu16v]

Dont just build it.....make it!

Mark Benson

posted on 8/7/03 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Blink Motorsport http://www.blinkmotorsport.com/honda.htm have the S2000 engines Westy (scroll down) - it's very fast, very, very fast....

I also have an S2000 and can confirn the engine spins the 'right' way, it's also reliable and the engine, gearbox and LSD can be lifted stright from a wrecked S2000 (wait for autumn/winter, there are always a few about when the roads get slippery) for a lot less than £6k.

When I get bored of racing, the X-Flow in the Locost just might make way for an F20C (S2000 engine).

Raced a Locost for a couple of years, then bought an Elise.

Now back building a Fisher Fury, can't yet decide on V8 power (which I already have waiting to go in) or some kind of V6 (which I'd have to buy, when I can sell the Elise, if I sell the Elise).

I'm not the most decisive person in the world.

ned

posted on 8/7/03 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
well, so it can be done for less than £6k. I get the opinion I haven't managed to convince anyone its locost enough though!

The £6k i mentined is for a spangly brand new engine from honda, so you're bound to be able to pick up a right off for cheaper....

Ned.

grg_short

posted on 26/3/06 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
Honda K20 &K24 Motors

Honda K series motors do turn the right way I am fitting K2.4 from CRV into my locost check out http://www.clockwisemotion.co.uk.index/cars.html they sell bellhousings for T9 but here in Australia I used a honda bell with an adaptor plate to fit a Toyota W55 gearbox [Toyota supra] these motors have plenty of room for improvment George
Krismc

posted on 26/3/06 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
BTW, according to my sources that engine has 200Bhp as standard, unless it's changed very recently.
quote:

i was told the 2litre vtec in the type r produces 196 in the early models and 220 now, but the 2 litre unit in the s2000 has always produce 249BHP

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.