Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Aluminium behind seats??
gulf zxr

posted on 13/2/07 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Aluminium behind seats??

Is the aluminium sheet behind the seats structural? I want to fit plastic to save weight. Is this OK
JoelP

posted on 13/2/07 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
IMHO it would have a contribution if it was well bonded, however, you could bond in a CRP sheet (ie carbon in plastic) which would (probably) be both stronger and lighter.

What plastic did you have in mind?

DIY Si

posted on 13/2/07 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Depends upon how structural the panel is in you car. It can be used to add a little extra strength if required, or left as purely cosmetic/for keeping the crud out. If structural, bonded and riveted ally is fine, if cosmetic, use whatever you have/is cheapest/lightest/matches the colour scheme.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

DaveFJ

posted on 13/2/07 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
is a plastic sheet really any lighter than thin ally?

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

JoelP

posted on 13/2/07 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
i would imagine that most plastics of a similar mass to an ally sheet would be quite flimsy, hence the existance of reinforced plastics like GRP.
RazMan

posted on 13/2/07 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
I doubt there would be much of a weight advantage and it would probably flap around and make loads of noise also prone to getting broken by debris.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
worX

posted on 14/2/07 at 01:26 AM Reply With Quote
I have to admit, I went to a slightly thinner sheet of Ali to do my rear bulk head as I don't think it's structual and therefore to save weight........

bimbleuk

posted on 14/2/07 at 04:05 AM Reply With Quote
This is a Striker chassis but the standard practise on these is to leave the rear panel removeable for access. So mine is 2.5mm ABS sheet.

[img][/img]

Avoneer

posted on 14/2/07 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
None of my ali panels (apart from the floor) are structural on my bitsablade due to the way I have fitted them inbetween the chassis tubes rather than on or behind them:

http://bitsablade.co.uk/displayimage.php?album=12&pos=7

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 14/2/07 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
MNR supply a plastic panel for for the rear of the cockpit. With a big CDS roll hoop welded in, stiffness added by an ali panel would be minimal.

A typical plastic 2.7mm thick would weigh about the same as a 1mm ali panel of the same size. The plastic would be more immune to dents and ripples than the ali.

tks

posted on 14/2/07 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
Stiffness

The stiffness added by the panels are huge!

there is only 1 thing thats in mind.. if you you rivet it with 4 pop rivets then offcourse it doesn't add..

sow its the way of mounting it wich says what you add..

Tks

Hellfire

posted on 14/2/07 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Dark plastic expands a vast amount in the sun (ok, we don't get much but...). Aluminium reflects/disperses the heat more than a lump of plastic or GRP and as such looks flatter. Plastic heats up and begins to buckle an ripple where is it rivetted/screwed and IMO looks unsightly. It also weathers (hardens) in time and then it starts to crack at the securing points... just a little more information to make your decision!

ATEOTD it's your choice...

Steve

[Edited on 14-2-07 by Hellfire]

Werner Van Loock

posted on 14/2/07 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Avoneer
None of my ali panels (apart from the floor) are structural on my bitsablade due to the way I have fitted them inbetween the chassis tubes rather than on or behind them:

http://bitsablade.co.uk/displayimage.php?album=12&pos=7

Pat...

I think that the way you used them, they are very structural as a box or triangle can only deform now if the panel gets bent.
Normally the rivets would break/bend and rivets have less strength then a panel on it's side. Only difference you have now is that in case of collision that a panel could be pushed out (getting detached) of it's box/triangle instead of getting a dent and still be attached to the frame.

http://www.clubstylus.be

mad4x4

posted on 14/2/07 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Is there not some stupid rule that the Fuel Tank has to be segragated from the passanger compart ment by a fire wall.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

iank

posted on 14/2/07 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad4x4
Is there not some stupid rule that the Fuel Tank has to be segragated from the passanger compart ment by a fire wall.

Some new meaning to the word 'stupid'?

Think that's a racing requirement (MSA?).

Just had a peek through the SVA manual and 15.2 (design and construction - Fuel/Electrical Systems) doesn't mention a firewall.

However there is a general catch all in 15.1 which puts it squarely on the examiner to make a call.

quote:
1. Check all aspects of the design and construction of the vehicle or its equipment are such that no danger is caused or likely to be caused to any person in the vehicle or to other road users.

Reasons for failure

1. A design or construction feature or characteristic is, or is likely to cause, a danger to any person in the vehicle or to other road users.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

gulf zxr

posted on 15/2/07 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Guys,

Thans for all your input/thoughts. I think I will go along the lines of black ABS plastic for appearance purposes rather than have ali to clean/polish!!

DIY Si

posted on 15/2/07 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Cleaning and polishing?! I can't even get at one side of mine so have never even attempted to try! Just keep a spare wet weather coat in the space and no-one'll know.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.