Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MS Flight Sim X
donut

posted on 19/2/07 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
MS Flight Sim X

Anyone got it? Any good? I had 2002 which was pretty awesome at the time but not used a flight sim for about 4 years and fancy getting back into it.

I have been looking on the net and youtube and i'm pretty impressed.

The minimum spec is well below what i have so it should run ok on my machine. CPU minimum is 1GHz and i have 3GHz, Ram is 256 min and i have 1GHz and the graphics card is 32MB and i have 128MB Radion X300 so i should be ok for smooth flight.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
macnab

posted on 19/2/07 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Our IT guy here has a thing for plane sims (he has virtually every one sold since the 70's!). From what he says the min spec is a joke and is set deliberately low to not scare away customers. It should not be used as a guide; the max spec is far more realistic.

timbob

posted on 19/2/07 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
With your spec. it'll only run really smoothly on low settings. I have a 3.2 GHz processor, 1Gb RAM and a 256Mb Radeon 9800XT gfx card and it's not exactly smooth, in fact I use MSFS2004 more.
macnab

posted on 19/2/07 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
buy a R/c plane it's a lot more fun

Scotty

posted on 19/2/07 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
running fsx on home system (amd 5000x2, 2 gb ddr2, raided hard drives, nvidia 7900 gtx 512 mb vid card) and it JUST plays at high res.
best advice is to leave it on the shelf for 12 months until hardware catches up with it!

PLEASE NOTE! All comments made by this person are to be considered "Tongue in Cheek" and are not meant to be taken seriously in any way - so there!

donut

posted on 19/2/07 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by macnab
buy a R/c plane it's a lot more fun
Done that for years, crashed too many to count!! I'll do it again one day.

As for MSFSX my graphics card is woefully under spec so i think I'll have a go at 2004.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
macnab

posted on 19/2/07 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
oh never give up, get an r/c sim

donut

posted on 19/2/07 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Used to have the Great Planes one, really superb bit of software.

Andy

Dantheman

posted on 19/2/07 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Just when the hardware catches up though, out comes a new version of flight sim...
donut

posted on 19/2/07 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
The latest version can run Direct X 10 under Vista and it looks mindblowingly good. I think i'll have to wait till i get a really decent PC.

Andy

robertst

posted on 19/2/07 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
i just bought it and have a pretty old pc (1.7GHZ, 1GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce2 (old!)) Reinstalled XP just to play that game so theres nothing on the hard disk apart from it and it goes ok in minimum settings given the stone-age graphics i have! i suppose a good one would do better. but it's like everything at microsoft, you need a cray supercomputer to run stuff.

mad fun though! and i love the new virtual cockpit, the user interface, and at last they put an Airbus with Seatbelt and Non-smoking switches so you can switch them on and off when you hit 30000 feet and when descending! makes you feel a bit more pro new cameras are great too. i love the tail camera on the acrobatic extra 300 plane. its great. makes me want to build a DIY cockpit (which i was going to make a couple of years ago)

[Edited on 19/2/07 by robertst]

Tom

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.