Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alarms for Kitcars
kitcarkris

posted on 19/2/07 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Alarms for Kitcars

to cut a long story short i want to know what type of alarms people have fitted to kitcars. i am looking at taking my car to italy in the summer and even though i dont intend on parking anywhere dodgy you can never be too careful. any ideas as i dont want my car stolen. also know anybody in the south area who could fit one? are trackers any good? how much do they cost? do they work in europe?
cheers Kris

jlparsons

posted on 19/2/07 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
I fitted one with a central locking system to my old citroen AX about 5 years ago now, was about £60 for the alarm and the central locking was £50 for a 2 door kit that worked off the keyfob that turned the alarm on and off. The alarm was very easy to fit if you know anything about electrics but the central locking was a pig on the mechanical side because of the construction of the doors. Got mine from a place in swansea nearby which was as cheap as on the net, but do a search and you'll find a few of that price level.
Top tip - avoid the "multi tone" alarm sirens as they are bloody awful.
ALternatively it's easy to make an imobiliser that works off a reed switch and some relays. Mine set to immobilise when the alarm was armed and needed a magnet in the fob passed over a particular peice of interior trim behind which was a reed switch to reactivate it. Very simple and cost a couple of quid but would have taken the average hoody an age to figure out what was what.

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

Jonte

posted on 19/2/07 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
I fitted a motorcycle alarm in my Indy. Its small and have all the things I need except a imobiliser. I would at least go for a alarm, snap-off for the steering wheel and main battery switch.

Click it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
miegru

posted on 19/2/07 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
I live in Italy an can advise you on one thing; only locals know what location is dodgy and what not!

I have a simple FIA power switch/key and a 'hidden' switch for the ignition, a detachable steering wheel and a motorbike chain lock which I run through my front lower wishbone, wheel and if possible a tree, lighting pole or something like that.

Never had problems. Actually there are always people around the car but I have never seen anyone touch it. Last time I forgot my gloves (was parked in the centre of Monza) and after 3 hourst they were still there.

Wouldn't fit an alarm. Not worth the hassle. Trackers are perfect (the ones i've seen) but expensive and only of use after the car has ben stolen....:-)

u2U me if you need some tips or locations in Italy.

Rgrds,

Mies.

MkIndy7

posted on 19/2/07 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
You don't mention what type of kit car in the post.. but presuming its a 7'n

The only type of alarm i've thought of is the Multi Zone Microwave alarms you get for Cat1 etc alarms.

If you could get/make a stripped down version they chirp when somebody is very close to the car if set properly..
My tin-top you've got to be stood peering into the car before it sences and chirps.. warning to back off for about 5 attempts and then goes into full alarm.
There's then a further 'zone' should you enter the car where it goes into full alarm immediately.

I also believe this is also the system used in soft tops when locked with the roof down... should the inside space be invaded even by an arm leaning in the alarm goes off.

sparrks

posted on 19/2/07 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
all you need is a duel zone microwave sensor the one with a pre warn and a siren so if someone gets to close it will chirp around 40 quid for the microwave and 10quid for the siren or you can use a pizo buzzer (alot smaller)
iiyama

posted on 20/2/07 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
if its a BEC then
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOTORBIKE-MOTORCYCLE-BIKE-ALARM-IMMOBILISER-2007_W0QQitemZ200078849192QQihZ010QQcategoryZ25643QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

Jonte

posted on 21/2/07 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iiyama
if its a BEC then
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOTORBIKE-MOTORCYCLE-BIKE-ALARM-IMMOBILISER-2007_W0QQitemZ200078849192QQihZ010QQcategoryZ25643QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

LOL
Thats exact he same I have. Then I have a immobiliser anyway

I only payed £5 for mine on my trip to china. Bought 4 of them, 1 one for my Indy and 1 for my HD and the other 2 for my sister and brothers MC´s

Click it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bob

posted on 21/2/07 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
I'll see if dazza will be taking any unwanted imports back to china, he could pick me up a few

chockymonster

posted on 21/2/07 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
I had a Toad Cat1 alarm with dual zone microwave fitted to mine.

It chirps to warn away if you walk between the front and rear wheels

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

kitcarkris

posted on 21/2/07 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the help guys, sorry my car is a luego velocity, anybody know of a cheap supplier where i can get the dual microwave and an alarm set up from? alarm
is this the right?
thanks again

MkIndy7

posted on 22/2/07 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Yup thats the correct sencor for the job... you just now need the alarm to run it, or some alternative method.

From what I can rember theres a 4 core cable going to it.. i'd guess:

2 would be the power to the unit +ve and -ve (switched on when the alarm is armed)
1 would be a signal or 12v back to the alarm when zone 1 was triggered
1 would be the return when zone 2 was triggered.

If the unit came with any wireing instructions you might be able to decipher what the wires do, or figure it out yourself.
Then feed the wires that would originally have signaled back to the alarm to drive a relay that would operate the horn or other alarm sounder

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.