Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: pinto engine
david4

posted on 19/2/07 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
pinto engine

I have a pinto engine going into a locost which has a shorten sump. Do we need to modify the dipstick? It has dellortos twin carbs, these could be in the way of the dipstick. Does anyone know of any modfications to help with this problem?
flak monkey

posted on 19/2/07 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
DONT modify the dipstick, the max level of oil remains the same, regardless of whether the sump is chopped or not!

As for it clashing with the twin carbs (I had the same problem) carefully bend the tube away from the carbs so it doesnt clash. Be very careful, as if the tube is a bit rusty in the block it may snap off...not so clever!

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

jamesbond007ltk

posted on 19/2/07 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
You can bend the dip stick tube so it comes up beside the carbs. I had this problem too. Mine is very very close but has enough clearance. Beware nbt to loosen the interace between the dipstick tube and the block. This can come loose, and is a bugger to get to stay permanently fixed!

Rich

[Edited on 19/2/07 by jamesbond007ltk]

flak monkey

posted on 19/2/07 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
You shouldnt need to modify the dipstick...

The max oil level is set so that the crankshaft doesnt cut through the oil when it rotates, thereby giving you aerated oil (useless for lubrication!)

Yes the capacity has changed, but thats something you have to live with. Mine takes about 0.75 pints less now its been chopped.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

jamesbond007ltk

posted on 19/2/07 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
David,

Having read your post i realised the second part of mine was indeed completely nonsense so has been deleted. You were too quick for me!

Rich

quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
You shouldnt need to modify the dipstick...

The max oil level is set so that the crankshaft doesnt cut through the oil when it rotates, thereby giving you aerated oil (useless for lubrication!)

Yes the capacity has changed, but thats something you have to live with. Mine takes about 0.75 pints less now its been chopped.

David

mcerd1

posted on 20/2/07 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, no need to change the dipstick mark - unless the engine sits at a different angle in your car (compaired to the sierra)
DarrenW

posted on 20/2/07 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
If tube does become detached, i have managed to secure mine in place with JB weld. Observe all usual cleanliness rules.

david4

posted on 20/2/07 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your help,we will give it a go the next step is the engine rebuild.

david....

John.Taylor

posted on 20/2/07 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
I choped down my sump and extended it as per the usual formula and haven't lost any capacity at all. Dipstick is as Ford originally intended.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.