Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cams - reground?
ned

posted on 8/7/03 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
Cams - reground?

I've picked up a set of cams (QED 38H with setup sheet) with a job lot i got off ebay. I'm selling on a couple of injection bits but have started thinking about some of the bits I intended using.

Is there a simple way of telling if cams are outright/purpose made or reground standard jobbies? The ones I have have all the same GM stamp and numbers on them and look to have a smaller diameter (ie could have been standard then machined and reduced to the current profile). Is there a simple way of checking this?

Vernier Pulleys:
Does anyone with Vauxhall knowledge know if they used 2 types of cambelts on the Xe engine? I only ask as the vernier pulleys I have appear to have a different type/size of teeth to the standard road ones. (smaller and squarer whereas the standard ones are slightly larger and have more inverted semi-circular teeth.)

The cam followers were meant to be solid but some of them 'squish' like hydraulic ones, though are different looking from the underside to the standard ones I already have.

I believe these bits are from a late Xe. I think my original engine is an early one. Are there that many differences between them?

I know the earlier blocks had better cranks and forged pistons, but the head appears to be ok (although is a GM casting whereas my early one is a coscast casting.)

Any help/comments/knowledge appreciated.

Ned.

[Edited on 8/7/03 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Findlay234

posted on 8/7/03 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
People regrind them to give you a more suitable profile, including opening and closing times and duration. Now comes the guesswork............ the problem is that when you do this you actually take material away from the cam, so the total valve lift will go down. From this i deduce that you would need to run oversized shims on the valve buckets (if thats what the Xe uses, id have to do that with my 4age) If you compare them to the OEM cams and they have a lower but wider profile then i guess theyre reground, but if they have a larger lift then i reckon they are forged/cast like that.

Anyone know better than me please let me know.

Stu16v

posted on 8/7/03 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Ned, the early and late XE (in fact all VX engines) cam belt tooth profiles are different. IIRC the early engines have a 'square' profile, whereas the later ones are 'rounded' with a finer pitch.

IIRC the QED solid lifters are actually converted hydraulic lifters. To adjust clearences, you have to assemble head, measure clearences (if any) and work out what shims are needed to give required clearance. There has been (rare) instances where converted hydraulic lifters have actually converted themselves back to hydraulic at high revs, with obvious consequences....
I would doubt that the QED ones have had this problem though.

Camshafts are probably going to be regrinds, especially if they can be used with standard pistons (they can, cant they??....). IMO, the standard cams are already about as wild as you can get, and camshaft changes in these engines rarely make a big difference, unless pistons are pocketed and 'proper' cams put in.

HTH Stu.

[Edited on 8/7/03 by Stu16v]

Dont just build it.....make it!

ned

posted on 8/7/03 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info. I have done a bit of reading (my QED catalogue helps!). From the bits I have, I think the early pulleys are the (bigger) rounded ones and the late ones are the (smaller)squarer ones.

I suspect the lifters are converted hydraulics and some have either failed or I have a mix of the two types.

The cams would fit in the profile of the standard ones, they are wider at the peak of the cam ie longer duration and different lift. they are supposed to be 210bhp+ on carburrated engine. These are QED's fastest road/hydraulic lifter profile and yes Stu, do run with standard pocket pistons. If these hadn't've come along I would only consider 'proper' cams as an upgrade route, along with high compression 'flat top' or 'high intruder' type omega or accralite pisons.

Anyone running a late Xe head need any (Piper) vernier pulleys?!! if not they'll go on ebay.

I also have a late Xe (slightly heavier) polished crank if anyone requires one. surplus to requirements (would rather have my early, lighter one reground).

thanks again,

Ned.

ps I think I'll know most of what there is to know about Xe's by the time I'm finished rebuilding this bloody engine!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ned

posted on 8/7/03 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Just had a thought as to why the lifters could be bugg***d.

The guy I got the bits off was running nitrous on his Xe engined Nova. (he's now running it on his yamaha R1, which he says scared him when he turned it on and wheelied at 100mph!!)

That could well explain things....

Ned.

ned

posted on 8/7/03 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
incase anyone's interested the bits discussed look like this:

Peteff

posted on 8/7/03 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Reground cams

I thought this had died out years ago. Used cams were built up using a metal spray technique then reground to their new profile before being rehardened. They were usually on an exchange basis but now the manufacturing process is cheaper so they don't seem to be available any more. Check a standard cam lobe height with your vernier caliper then compare it to your new ones, there shoul be a difference and the profile is a governing factor as well giving different overlap etc.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

david walker

posted on 8/7/03 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
You'll find the square tooth profile is from the earlier XE (up to about '90 I think). The round tooth is later. Change the crank pulley and water pump and run the round tooth pullies per your verniers.

Most QED hydraulic profiles are regrinds. Cam grinders (ie Kent, Piper, Newman) will still regrind cams. No metal spraying though - I think that went out years ago.

Hydraulic profiles can give 200 bhp with appropriate head mods and carbs.

It sounds as though you have hydraulic lifters, there are different profiles for these and it may be that you just have a mix following an earlier rebuild. The ones that feel solid are probably just full of oil or knackered.

The QED hyd lifter conversion kits are good and I have used them a few times. They cost about £70 a set, whereas proper race solid lifters are more like double that depending upon where you source them.

If you are shimming at home you'll find it difficult. Shims go up in 10 thou steps, you use the nearest, thickest shim and then reduce its thickness on a shim grinder (small surface grinder). Better to take it to a race engine builder and pay him!

Back on this point about early engines having better pistons, I'm not sure I agree. All the XE range used squeeze cast pistons from Mahle as OE. These are sometimes mistakingly referred to as "forged". Trivial point really as they are still very good!

Dave Walker, Race Engine Services - 07957 454659 or 01636 671277

Stu16v

posted on 8/7/03 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Back on this point about early engines having better pistons, I'm not sure I agree. All the XE range used squeeze cast pistons from Mahle as OE. These are sometimes mistakingly referred to as "forged". Trivial point really as they are still very good!

Agreed. The story goes that a few very early engines were made with forged pistons (possibly homologation specials). Mahle AFAIK is standard fit, whatever age engine, if it has anything else, they have probably been changed at some stage. I personally wasnt aware of crankshaft differences either....???

ned

posted on 9/7/03 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Well,

not disagreeing with what anyone says, but my engine (that i got complete) which is an early one, early crank and cosacast head had the round teeth standard pulleys on it. the head i bought, advertised as a late head, which came incidentally with a late crank has vernier pulleys which have the squarer teeth (the pulleys are slightly smaller too). Am i missing something here?

The cams are regrinds as the profile is ground within the profile of the standard cam (i'll put a pic up shortly showing both)

Ned.

ned

posted on 9/7/03 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote

davef

posted on 9/7/03 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
cams

Hi guys just to clear something up here you can have cams reprofiled and finish up with more lift. you must remember the cam follower does not see the cam ctr it see the base circle of the cam. imagine a cam wich is 20mm from ctr to lobe tip and 12mm from ctr to base circle, so subtract 12mm from 20mm gives you 8mm lift. now machine the cam taking the bulk of material from the base circle. now you have a cam 19mm from ctr to lobe tip and 10mm from ctr to base circle. result 9mm lift. thats why you see many reprofiled cams were the base circle is nearly down to the cam diameter. cheers davef.
ned

posted on 9/7/03 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Dave,

I had realised this, hence the pic! though thanks for clarifying/backing me up!

Ned.

david walker

posted on 9/7/03 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Hello gain,

I wasn't aware of difference in cranks either. I've ground plenty & never realised there was a difference, there again we learn something every day! Any chance of posting comparison pics?

Pulley on left in picture is later type of profile. It sounds as if your engine has been messed with during its 15 year life!

Stu16v

posted on 9/7/03 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
I've got it mixed up too. The round profile is the earlier type, but if you look at the pitch of the teeth, there are less per cm/inch compared to the other pulley (I was right on this bit!!). I will check on my car tomorrow night to confirm (also early engine).
However, if nothing else, at least we are all aware that there are different cambelt teeth options on this engine. I know of quite a few people that didnt know this, and have fitted incorrect water pumps to their engine. Not nice....

ned

posted on 10/7/03 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
if anyones interested I've put the vernier pulleys on ebay!

I took a couple of pics last night of cranks, so sohuld have them up shortly...

just to add, it doesn't suprise me that my engines have been messed about, they both came out of novas and one of them had at some point been nitroused! I spoke to a friend last night who commented that the squarer teeth profile pulleys might be from an ecotec engine??

Ned.

[Edited on 10/7/03 by ned]

ned

posted on 10/7/03 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
Early crank, as in coscast head engines, engines with extra webbing by starter motor (see my website), engines with early forged (another point of debate)pistons:

Later crank, heavier as in later engines (& possibly the ecotec?):

Ned.

[Edited on 10/7/03 by ned]

david walker

posted on 10/7/03 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the crank pics Ned, easy to spot when pointed out!

BTW the Ecotec crank is slimmer at the oil pump end and is in fact same as the Cavalier 8v (Eng code NE)

Stu16v

posted on 10/7/03 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
Just to confirm (because I've been and checked) the round teeth pulleys are early engine, the square type with finer pitch are the later type (which is the same profile teeth as fitted to the Ecotec funnily enough).

ned

posted on 11/7/03 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
thanks for the clarification there Stu.

Ned.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.