Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MK vs MNR
gr8ging

posted on 24/2/07 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
MK vs MNR

Ok you swayed me towards MK over Avon. So how about MNR?
I like the looks of both but MK still has the edge. Is there a big difference in general cost and who's build quality is best?
Let the jousting begin

Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals.... except the weasel.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine!

Krismc

posted on 24/2/07 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
erm the Mnr has a lot more effort and quality into the chassis and body work, welding is perfect and whole chassis is rigid and in round tube.

And the chassis it made to your exact requirements, engine spec seat height, driver height etc etc

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

shortie

posted on 24/2/07 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
I would probably have to say that MNR win on quality of kit and service.
Also worth looking at MAC1.

Rich.

oliwb

posted on 24/2/07 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
MNR, different league from what I know....Oli.

Would second the Mac1 being worth a look, nice guys to deal with...not sure on product tho....

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 24/2/07 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
I like the MNR chassis but what puts me off is the height of the roll bars on a few of the cars I've seen. I completely understand why it's as high as it is but I personally think it makes the car look like a childs brick trolley. The bodywork is good quality and fits well but the moulded humps don't really appeal to me.

The new MK chassis looks great and I've heard nothing but good reports from people who have driven it. I also like the style and shape of the bodywork, which is also good quality.

So I guess it comes down to which one you personally like the best and represents the best value for your money. Why not have a trip to both manufacturers to make your mind up?

Phil

Agriv8

posted on 24/2/07 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Agree with you Phill,

have a look at both I went MNR cause I am a lanky git and could not fit in anything else.

Regarding the roll hoop Yes mine still holds the record of being the tallest and yes I can understand what phill is saying.

But

A I cant see it when I am driving

B The Function over Form comes into play

C they can fix most things these days apart from brains and backs I would like to keep both operational as long as possible.

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

gr8ging

posted on 24/2/07 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
can you fit a lower roll bar or twin hoops instead of the shopping trolley looking ones

Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals.... except the weasel.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine!

scottc

posted on 24/2/07 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
roll bar height is dependant upon how tall you are. Quite right really. not much point having a cosmetic roll bar.
smart51

posted on 24/2/07 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gr8ging
can you fit a lower roll bar or twin hoops instead of the shopping trolley looking ones

Yes,

They will make the rollover bar whatever size you want. You can have it "square" as standard or two cobra style hoops or the triangular shape that racers seem to prefer.

Avoneer

posted on 24/2/07 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Yep - MNR is ahead of the game, but more pricey than an MK.

Depends on your budget and which is closest as you will probably have to fly back to who ever you buy from for more bits.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
G.Man

posted on 24/2/07 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Phil

you can always opt for a weedy small cosmetic roll bar, just Marc usually recommends that you have the correct one is case you want to race it later... saves cutting it off and fitting a new one...

Hey Iain, dont forget mine is the same height as yours... we used yours as the size for mine as you are longer in leg than me...

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

Agriv8

posted on 24/2/07 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry Mark,

I keep forgetting about you being a lankey git as well.

Sorry joint tallest roll bar stand corrected.

been out for a good blat today only broke down once

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Hellfire

posted on 24/2/07 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by G.Man
Phil

you can always opt for a weedy small cosmetic roll bar, just Marc usually recommends that you have the correct one is case you want to race it later... saves cutting it off and fitting a new one...

I understand that, it's just that personally I'd rather have a full roll cage for racing.

Phil

Hellfire

posted on 25/2/07 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
Just a small adendum...

having a very tall roll bar doesn't exactly help a potential 2nd buyer, especially if he's a short git... looks like he's in a pram!

IMVHO - Steve

G.Man

posted on 25/2/07 at 12:29 AM Reply With Quote
Steve

How many people build a kit car with a second buyer in mind????

You're just being silly now...

As for the full roll cage, it still has to be the right height... and you only need a diagonal from the bar to the floor...

Anyway I guess you arent racing as you dont have a legal roll bar or a cage

[Edited on 25/2/07 by G.Man]

PAUL FISHER

posted on 25/2/07 at 12:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Just a small adendum...

having a very tall roll bar doesn't exactly help a potential 2nd buyer, especially if he's a short git... looks like he's in a pram!

IMVHO - Steve

Steve,you can't talk about Leigh like that,just because he is a short git and looks like he's in a pram we often wonder if he's even looks old enough to drive

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER]

PAUL FISHER

posted on 25/2/07 at 01:05 AM Reply With Quote
As for which one is best debate,the vortex rt+ would cost quite a bit more to build than the new SPEC-R MK,the best advice I would give if your down to the short list of the two,is to visit each company,tell each company what you want,and let them explain what they can do for you.Look at the chassis fabrication and welding and compare,look at the bodywork yourself,go out in the cars,way up the costs!!!the location of each company relative to you,and after that only you can make your own mind up which one will be best for you.
mandbsheldon

posted on 25/2/07 at 04:47 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Paul, now where did I put my DUMMY?

Leigh

Oh yes hes driving it (before any one else says it)

[Edited on 25/2/07 by mandbsheldon]

Hellfire

posted on 25/2/07 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Phil

As for the full roll cage, it still has to be the right height... and you only need a diagonal from the bar to the floor...

Take another look at the author of the post to which you refer.

And no, we aren't racing.

Phil

coozer

posted on 25/2/07 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
I had the same dilemma as you gr8ging and the chassis swung it for me. There is a picture of it in my blog, total work of art IMHO.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Dillinger1977

posted on 25/2/07 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
a surprisingly civil thread, i was expecting more flaming.

same theory as the rest really, the MNR edges it on chassis and bodywork, but it'll cost you more.

originally i preferred a flat scuttle over the 'humps' but its grown on me now. Regarding the rollbar, it was the main reason I went for MNR. I'd seen too many frail looking rollbars at shows that were bolted onto the chassis. MNR's fully welded one with rear triangulation won it for me.

(i dont plan on flipping it, but you never know!)

G.Man

posted on 25/2/07 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
quote:
Phil

Take another look at the author of the post to which you refer.

And no, we aren't racing.

Phil

Not my fault you 2 are too lazy to login and logout 2 accounts

Anyway, as I said, you can order the roll bar in whatever size you want, if the worst you can come up with for the vortx is a tall roll bar, shows its a pretty good package...

Paul

The Spec R is still sierra based front is it not? and PU bushed rather than Rose Jointed?

The RT+ is Cortina based front so have to compare the RT really which is PU bushed.

Always best to at least compare like for like I find

marc n

posted on 25/2/07 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
First off
great that this hasnt turned into a slanging match ( something that unfortunately happens a bit to often on locost builders at the moment )
Secondly i dread this kind of comparison thread as we are all passionate about the cars we make and build so its hard to give an objective unbiased decision.
Looking at buying a seven type car or kit is like buying anything, you decide what you want then look and see where the best deal / package is available to suit your needs often with a test drive / demo / visit etc m y advice is to make a shortlist based on which cars suit your needs then visit each manufacturer
With regards
pricing its very difficult to compare cars side by side as many have different features specs etc
our basic outlines on car types are
mnr vortx rt
outboard suspension on polybushes car or bike engined all mountings to suit individual needs etc, i.e diff choice engine choice etc etc
mnrvortx rt inboard
Inboard suspension on polybushes car or bike engined all mountings to suit individual needs etc, i.e diff choice engine choice etc etc
mnrvortx rt +
Inboard suspension on Rodends all round car or bike engined all mountings to suit individual needs etc, i.e diff choice engine choice etc etc
mnrvortx Super
Inboard suspension on Rodends all round Chassis from all t45 and clubman 500 cds tube car or bike engined all mountings to suit individual needs etc, i.e diff choice engine choice etc etc
Our web is a little out of date at the moment pricewise pictures and kit contents etc but hope to make inroads on that in the next month or so

best regards

marc

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
G.Man

posted on 25/2/07 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
There is no need for flaming, all the manufacturers have a good product which will suit different buyers...

If I was building a car now I would do things very differently, and I would save for the t45 chassis'd car, and build it lighter... But mainly as its gonna race very soon

TimC

posted on 26/2/07 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
Ask the MK, Mac#1 and Luego owner who came to look at my chassis yesterday....!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.