Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Scrapyard sourcing
Browser

posted on 25/2/07 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Scrapyard sourcing

I know that things like seats, seatbelts/harnesses, steering wheels etc tend to get bought new or elsewhere due to dimensional constraints within a seven, but how many folk here have gone the scrappie route when fitting out the rest of their car? I'm only asking as when I first got into kit cars in the mid-to-late eighties, all or as many as possible of the parts of a car were either off the donor, which I am perfectly willing to admit produced some 'interesting' interiors or were from a scrappie. There seem to be more and more sources of brand new kit for kit cars which, some of the time, fall short of the standard of that available in a scrappie. There are plenty of cars now with leather and ali components used on the dash/gearshift & handbrake (including some very nice gaiters) and other sundries that can be had for only one or two pounds which if bought new would be far more expensive. I intend to scour the scrapyards for these bits when I get closer to needing them, what say you?

MkIndy7

posted on 25/2/07 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
I totally agree.. but sometimes "Its not worth spoiling the ship for a ha'peth of tar"

But if you can be inventive and resourceful in finding something that fits and looks the part then it can certainly be worthwile.

I think the market for all the kit car parts exists and is so strong is the time involved.. you can waste days hunting round scrapyards hopeing to find something suitable, and prolonging an already time consuming build.

RoadkillUK

posted on 25/2/07 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Our first seats were Leather, made from Volvo interior (details on my website)

Still got some of the Leather on the back panel.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wilkingj

posted on 25/2/07 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Scrap yards are a good source. I would never fit braking, steering components, or safety related Items from a scrap car. However, they make excellent parts to use for Exchange Items to reduce the Surcharges.

You can source all your relays fuses, and electrical parts, again starters and alternators can be used, or used as exchange items.

There are loads of good bits available in the yards. However, they will nearly always need a good clean up. Elbow Grease is free.. and saves you money for those bits that really must be new!.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
macnab

posted on 25/2/07 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
If you are to follow the original book for the seats as I'm going to do for the second locost then the scrappys the way to go. I redid my Falcons interior from an old triumph in the scrappy and used the rear seats to cover the door panels as well. The results were nothing short of spectacular and got many a praise. Great thing was the whole interior cost £30!!

[Edited on 25/2/07 by macnab]

caber

posted on 25/2/07 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
I have had a few bits out of the scrappy unfortunately the place I was going got greedy and started charging stupid prices for bits I had to take off myself!

Caber

gazza285

posted on 26/2/07 at 03:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caber
I have had a few bits out of the scrappy unfortunately the place I was going got greedy and started charging stupid prices for bits I had to take off myself!

Caber

Probably to pay for the increasing public liability costs and the new environmental regulations that are now applied. Still not good.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

andyps

posted on 26/2/07 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
I went to a scrappies this morning as I needed a connector plug for a windscreen washer pump (not for a locost!) - cut off the plug with a reasonable length of wire, went back and they said £5 for it. I pointed out it was just a short piece of wire, but apparently they have a minimum price of £5 for anything. The guy said "a fiver is nothing these days, you can't even get a packet of fags for that" so I said I don't smoke and I don't want this either and left.

Wish I had cut two off and put one in my pocket

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Jasper

posted on 26/2/07 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Andy, that's my experience with both the local scrappies here - robbin' pykie bast*rds, twice I've been, spent ages getting bits off, only the leave them at the counter when they wanted to charge me silly money......
James

posted on 1/3/07 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
Andy, that's my experience with both the local scrappies here - robbin' pykie bast*rds, twice I've been, spent ages getting bits off, only the leave them at the counter when they wanted to charge me silly money......

Have you thought of asking the price before you take the part off???

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

iank

posted on 1/3/07 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
James is right, the harder the part was for you to remove the higher the price will be if you don't agree a price beforehand.

Easier to negotiate when they think you can walk with no effort.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Confused but excited.

posted on 2/3/07 at 12:41 AM Reply With Quote
It's the same here. They have a big sign stating that; "We are NOT a scrap yard we are a recycling centre". Talk about Abandon Hope all ye.....
The robbing git wanted £25 for a rusty mini wheel with a bald tyre. They are only £29 brand new c/w a new tyre!

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.