New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Scientific question for you
zxrlocost

posted on 26/2/07 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
Scientific question for you

Ok this is straight up and I dont know the answer it serves no purpose but why

I have two glasses for my diet coke

one is a clear normal glass, pop goes in little bit of fizz etc

but my other glass is still a normal glass apart from having that smoked effect to the glass

so why when I put my pop in this glass does it fizz up and almost overflow on even the slightest bit of pop its like watching some whacko chemical reaction

any ideas

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

macnab

posted on 26/2/07 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
if the smoke effect in on the inside then the rough surface is promoting bubble formation. This is much like the exploding coffee problem.

pdw709

posted on 26/2/07 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
I seem to recall that it has something to do with the surface texture of the glass. A rough texture acts as a seed point for the formation of bubbles:

Bubbles need an irregularity on which to form. They won't form on perfectly smooth surfaces. The bubbles that form on the sides and bottom of the glass are actually forming on tiny scratches, dust motes, bits of stuff that did not come off in the last wash.

Try googling around this answer and you should get a more scientific answer!

Phil

pdw709

posted on 26/2/07 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by macnab
if the smoke effect in on the inside then the rough surface is promoting bubble formation. This is much like the exploding coffee problem.

Damn....you got your answer in whilst I was still composing mine!

ceebmoj

posted on 26/2/07 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

short

Basically the bubbles form on the imperfections in the glass more easily so the frosted glass had lots more imperfections so more bubbles

long

The surface of the both glasses has a number of small imperfections in it i.e. the glass is not totally smooth. The gas witch is trapped with in the fluid wants to escape by forming bubbles. For a bubble to form a very hi localised pressure / concentration of soluble gass must be present i.e. it is hard for a bubble to from. However if the is a surface imperfection a buble will from on the imperfection and a small seed buble will be trapped. Hence the next bubble that apeas to from in the same location is infect just another bubble that has grown from the first seed bubble the bubbles will gro to a critical size then break away from the seed allowing a new buble to form.

Blake

zxrlocost

posted on 26/2/07 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
hi so even though it doesnt feel rough it is actually a not so smooth service
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

macnab

posted on 26/2/07 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
on the scale that the bubbles form it's like the alps.

mookaloid

posted on 26/2/07 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Pint glasses in pubs often have a star or the like etched on the bottom of the glass to make bubbles in lager constantly rise to to the top.

Presumably this makes lager drinkers feel better about their pint of fizzy stuff

(living in Masham - home of two proper breweries- makes one such a real ale snob)

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

nib1980

posted on 26/2/07 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
the bubbles are formed by bacteria reacting with the sugar (sucrose ) giving of the the excretion of carbon dioxide. the reason a rough surface glass gives off more is because it harbours more bacteria. hope that helps (and has you all paranois now)
macnab

posted on 26/2/07 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
An interest and relevant subject if the bubble chambers used to show the paths of radiation. Where visible bubbles form from just small bits of atoms. I once saw one in action and had it not been bolted down I'd have been away with it cos it was very cool.

[Edited on 26/2/07 by macnab]

BenB

posted on 26/2/07 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
It's all to do with condensation nuclei- IE bits of dirt. If the glass is totally clean you wouldn't get any bubbles.... The rough surface of the glass attracts dirt hence more bubbles...
Agriv8

posted on 26/2/07 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
Pint glasses in pubs often have a star or the like etched on the bottom of the glass to make bubbles in lager constantly rise to to the top.

Presumably this makes lager drinkers feel better about their pint of fizzy stuff

(living in Masham - home of two proper breweries- makes one such a real ale snob)

Mookaloid on a list of places Id like to live that has to be no 2 behind Wanaka in NZ.

I'll have to have a run up there in the summer.

Ps you can leave that fizzi stuff for the hoodies .

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

iank

posted on 26/2/07 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
The technical term is Nucleation site, the microscopic rough surface triggers bubble formation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucleation

Try sticking a menthos mint in a bottle diet coke for a more spectacular demonstration (or look it up on youtube if you don't like cleaning )

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.