Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Getting a single seater road legal?
balidey

posted on 26/2/07 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Getting a single seater road legal?

I've been thinking about my car project and I have a couple of questions before I commit to what I want to build.

Despite a lot of advice from others, I do want to build my own chassis (and as many other parts as possible) from scratch.

Obvious option is a Locost, or McSorley, or Tiger Avon, or the new Haynes seven.

But what I would like to do is something a little bit, err, different.

My first thought is one that several other people are talking about at the minute, a monocoque. I'm not wanting to start another debate here about the pros and cons of this design or construction as I know what type of thing I want to do, which is along the lines of the Monopin.

So, my real question is, has anyone convereted a Monopin (or a Terrapin) to be road legal?

Has anyone converted a single seater race car to road use? What things am I likely to get stuck on?

Any major hurdles to getting to SVA that are not obvious? ie, anything thats different to putting a seven through SVA?

I am being drawn to the idea of a small single seater for road use. I like the look of the ERA HSS (made by Tiger) and something along those lines would be nice. I'm not saying that is what I will be building as I am still a long way off. And before people start saying 'try buildnig a seven first', I may well do that, but for now I would like to hear from anyone thats built one of these style cars for road use, or converted one. Any links to threads?

Thanks,
Steve

macnab

posted on 26/2/07 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
have a look around this site, you will find that folk have already done this.

balidey

posted on 26/2/07 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
I have had a look round this site. Couldn't find anything relevant. Lots of arguing about fatigue strength of alloy monocoques but no threads on this topic, unless you can point me in the direction of any?
Thanks.

nick205

posted on 26/2/07 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
Check out Nitram38 on this forum - here's a pic of his self built road legal car...

(pic courtesy of Nitram's avatar!)

[Edited on 26/2/07 by nick205]

(I think his car was up for sale too)

[Edited on 26/2/07 by nick205]Image deleted by owner

greggors84

posted on 26/2/07 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
I cant think of anyone on this site who has converted a single seater race car for road use.

A few have made single seater or inline two seater race car lookalikes from scratch, but obviously this is different than converting one.

Try and get hold of a copy of an SVA manual so you can see what would be involved.

Depending on what single seater you choose you may have trouble getting the headlights high enough or the indicators near enough to the outside edge of the tyres. I would imagine things like cycle wings can be done without too much hassle. It has been done in the past.

Ive attached a guide to passing SVA, its like a simplified SVA manual, should get you going.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

iank

posted on 26/2/07 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
I've read about a number of Formula Fords that have been made road legal (not sure if this was pre-SVA though).

Things that are immediately obvious are lighting including the legal positioning requirements and some cycle wings. Suspension will have to be covered and exterior projection requirements met. Instrumentation and switchgear will have to be upgraded (speedo/warning lights/indicator stalks). All wiring/brake pipes etc will have to be fitted according to official p-clip spacings etc.
Hard bits to sort out might include seatbelt positions.

You will need the SVA manual far more than most builders.

Good luck.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Phil.J

posted on 26/2/07 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
One of the main problems with putting a 'real' single seater on the road is having to raise the ride height to something practical, and totally wrecking the suspension geometry. You will be better off building one from scratch and make it something like the 'Rocket' which came from Gordon Murray's light Car Company....look here
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?file=car.php&carnum=2403

PAUL FISHER

posted on 26/2/07 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Or you could build one of Mr MK's new sprint-r's,Chris Mason,on this forum is building one,nearly 500bhp per ton,fitted with the new R1engine.Cars can be built for around £6500,the next one they are building will be going through a Sva.Well worth a look if your thinking about a single seater.
JimSpencer

posted on 26/2/07 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Size

Hi

Having had a couple of single seaters I wouldn't recommend you started with one to modify into raod legal to be honest. I think you would be much better off designing one from scratch.

If you have a look at most race chassis you'll be struck by just how tiny the cockpit actually is, making it useable as a road car would be virtually impossible space wise.

But if you must..

The exception to this might just be an early formula renault, as these were made a bit larger for some reason and the engine/gear box combination is bog standard road car stuff (wet sump I believe & a stock renault box with syncro etc etc.)

Ride height wise these cars normally operate at just over 40mm, so getting to 75mm ish should be on, by adjusting the suspension a bit and by taller aspect ratio tyres.

As for SVA, you could probably sell tickets to watch the examiners reaction.

nitram38

posted on 26/2/07 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
I investigated this route, but there are issues regarding ride height plus the uprights are designed to break easily in accidents. Just remember that a the suspension is a lot lighter in construction and will not stand the abuse of contious banging around our roads.
Mine is for sale if you want to take the short cut !!!!!!!!!!!!

balidey

posted on 26/2/07 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks gents,
Really useful info there.
Nitram, thanks for the offer, but i really want to do a scratch build.
Which means I should be able to take all the other valid points on-board about ride height, cockpit size, component strength.

Decisions, decisions.

nitram38

posted on 26/2/07 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
More like, if you haven't got much money, compromise, compromise !
You will find plenty of help here.
Good luck with build.

[Edited on 26/2/2007 by nitram38]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.