Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mega squirt shopping list
ibakes

posted on 26/2/07 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Mega squirt shopping list

Hi All

I'm currently looking to buy a MS set up for me Duratec, Currently I have a carb set up on a Pinto and am thinking of running a Swirlpot with a bike pump to the injectors.

I am getting confused with what I need, currently im looking to buy thr following from either glens garage or diy auto tune

MegaSquirt I ECU kit v3.0
MegaSquirt-n-Spark_Extra Daughter board kit v2 with EGT amplifie
MegaSquirt Stimulator kit v2.2
Wiring harness

I will be using a TPS, Map and Lambda sensor and using a EDIS 4 ignition pack, I would also like the option for shift lights (or light) and launch control

I have also read that i can add a second VB921 ignition coil driver and do I need the extra board for this, also do I need the relay board as i have a current carb set up?
Lastly do i need the extra squirt and spark to do the shift lights and launch control?

Thanks in advance

MG David

posted on 26/2/07 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Can you tell me why you don't want to use MegaSquirt II with the v3 board?
wilkingj

posted on 26/2/07 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
I got all my kit from Glens Garage. Very good, and no problems.
Dont use the express mail. Use the cheap one.
Why?.

The Express Mail uses Parcel Farce this end. They charge £13:50 to collect the Vat.

The cheapest Mail option uses Royal Mail this end. They only charge £4:50 to collect the Vat.
Guess how I know!, done it both ways. Also P Farce will send a bill in the post and you have to go and collect it from their depot in town, and PAY.
So it wasnt any quicker
Royal Mail held it in my local post office just up the road.

Why do you need an EDIS unit. Get a second VB921 Driver and you can fire the Ford coil pack directly from the megasquirt. Much less to go wrong.

I used the V3 board, and a V1 processor (cheap one) then uploaded the MS S'nS firmware that supports a lot of features.

The V2 Processor is faster, but a lot more expensive.

My reasoning....
If a V1 slow processor can run a Bike Engine and fuel injection at 12,000 RPM, then doin a 4 pot Zetec / Duratec should be a walk in the park for it.

Why spend loads if you dont need to.
You can always update to a V2 later, its just a plug in board that goes in the processor socket.

The Relay board makes a nice looking job, but is not absolutely necessary. Its does neaten it up and make it easier.
I have one to fit. (I thought it was expensive for what it was. In hindsight I would buy the board, and get the relays and fuses from the scrapyard (they will jump into your pockets.) and then buy the holders etc.

PS... RTFM (Read the Fli**in Manual)
Its a lot to read up on, and a lot in there you dont need (ie all the options and different ways of doing it).
Keep asking Q's on here. You will get there in the end.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wilkingj

posted on 26/2/07 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MG David
Can you tell me why you don't want to use MegaSquirt II with the v3 board?

You cant run MS SnS with the V2 processor ... Yet..... (its still being developed).

Also V1 Processor is more than man enough for the job.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ibakes

posted on 27/2/07 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for replys looks as though the shopping list will be

MegaSquirt I ECU kit v3.0
MegaSquirt Stimulator kit v2.1
second VB921 Driver
MegaSquirt Relay Board kit
2X Wiring harness (1 for relay unit 1 for main wireloom

also depending if i go to DIYAUTOTUNE
Bosch Lambd sensor

Do I Need the daughter board if i want to run shift lights (or light) and the launch control? or will there be enough pins?

also how does the launch contol work, do i press a button the engine comes up to 4krevs and when the clutch engages I take over?

Thanks again

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.