Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Question about forums?
nib1980

posted on 27/2/07 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Question about forums?

Here's a question for you, asked by one of the "old boys" in my office.

Due to the advent of internet forums, do you think we've lost the ability to think for ourselves? Discuss?

(remember i think he meant it tongue in cheek, so don't shoot the messenger)

graememk

posted on 27/2/07 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
i dont know, i'm off to look for a forum to ask this question to, when i find an answer i'll copy and paste it into this forum

bimbleuk

posted on 27/2/07 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
Just Google it much saves time!
smart51

posted on 27/2/07 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
I ask questions on forums if I don't know the answer or if I've thought through a problem from first principles and am not sure of my findings.

I guess that some people ask first rather than thinking, but always have. The internet just widens their pool of people to ask.

donut

posted on 27/2/07 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Deeeeeeeeeeer what..erm...hey John, what do you think??????????

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
russbost

posted on 27/2/07 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure, maybe, but then maybe not

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
bartonp

posted on 27/2/07 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
If you don't think for yourself though, how do you filter the gems of brilliance from the usual pool of shite replies?

macnab

posted on 27/2/07 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Some forums certainly seem to be getting used to discourage individuality…

mark chandler

posted on 27/2/07 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
knowledge is power, forums devolve knowledge to the masses so upset those in the power IMHO.

Sour grapes from those that would sell the information rather than give it freely.

I also believe that forums trigger idea's but hey thats why the internet came about in the first place.... sharing knowledge in college's.

Regards Mark

macnab

posted on 27/2/07 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I also believe that forums trigger idea's but hey thats why the internet came about in the first place.... sharing knowledge in college's.

Regards Mark

Are you sure? I think it was originally designed as a robust military communications system for times of nuclear war…

[Edited on 27/2/07 by macnab]

Agriv8

posted on 27/2/07 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by macnab
quote:

Are you sure? I think it was originally designed as a robust military communications system for times of nuclear war…

Close the Protocol behind the WWW ( TCP/IP ) was commisioned to enable information to be sent between basess via any route.

Before TCP/IP comunication was only really point A through B to C if you lost B you could not get to C

TCP/IP will try and find a route throug 'Availble connections.' So could get to C via E, F, Z, K, N and finally to C

On Forums the main issue as we have seen on here two people can read the same thing and come up with two outcomes,

if used as a concensus evaluation tool for a souloution yup thumbs up

[Edited on 27/2/07 by Agriv8]

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

gazza285

posted on 27/2/07 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
thats why the internet came about in the first place.... sharing knowledge in college's.

Regards Mark

I remember JANET, the joint academic network, which was the UK's forunner to a freely available network. While I was at Polytechnic it was used for sending emails to mates, as long as their Poly/Uni was in the scheme and playing the biggest game of multi-user Elite I've seen.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 27/2/07 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
Check on google

Al Gore invented the internet

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

worX

posted on 27/2/07 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
I would say that in my experience, quite a few of the posts that I've put to this site have been more a case of seeking affirmation on something that I've already thought through, but because it's my first car, it is silly to dismiss (this) forum as it is easily accessible and you usually get about 10% of the posts back on-topic!

So - worth it!

mark chandler

posted on 27/2/07 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Internet hijacked by military, started off by college geeks in USA to communicate between colleges.

I believe the USA comms industry provided data circuits between the sites for free but they were shaky in quality so they developed a routed network rather than point to point, this became IP and the internet. TCP just adds error corrections and makes sure packets arrive in order,

Janet or Super Janet had 'free links' provided the PO, now BT as its a great way of getting research done for free. ie the greatest minds develop things for themselves tend to be pretty good, especially if the quality of the links is poor.

Regards Mark

DarrenW

posted on 28/2/07 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
The best thing about forums is that someone who doesnt have a clue can post a reply and cos its in black and white it must be true. That kind of wisdom is just so hard to come by in everyday conversation.

Reminder to self - billy filter is getting blocked so must do some routine maintenance.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.