Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra uprights
takumi

posted on 27/2/07 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra uprights

Hope there aren't any silly issues with using the sierra uprights.

Slightly older pic, everything is bolted in place now

- camber is good, not positive as have seen with some sierra uprights on the wrong lower bones.

Any points I should be looking into regarding the steerng rack and brakes.. (hopefully WilWood PowerLite front/back.)

atb

tak

RobinHood 2B 2.0i pinto, Keihin 38mm Carbs, lightened flywheel, O'Mori remote filter kit, 10 row oil cooler. Modified head, 10.2cr, special valves FR22 cam, 4- 1 header.

macnab

posted on 27/2/07 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
looks very good.

don't weld extensions onto the trackrod arms like I did...

bartonp

posted on 27/2/07 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
Top rose joint - am I the only one with a nagging memory about a failsafe washer to stop the whole lot pulling through in the event of failure?
takumi

posted on 27/2/07 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
I'l probably make threaded extensions - need to start making more use of my lathe-, and use a rose joint again instead of a ball joint (cheaper.lol)

thnks

tak

RobinHood 2B 2.0i pinto, Keihin 38mm Carbs, lightened flywheel, O'Mori remote filter kit, 10 row oil cooler. Modified head, 10.2cr, special valves FR22 cam, 4- 1 header.

takumi

posted on 27/2/07 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
I agree, a washer ontop would be a failsafe, but then you lose movement of the ball, It would have to be cone shaped to get the best of both - which I have been thinking about

macnab

posted on 27/2/07 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
I'd have thought you could argue that the ball joint has a similar mode of failure.

takumi

posted on 27/2/07 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
ahh. very true.

bartonp

posted on 27/2/07 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by macnab
I'd have thought you could argue that the ball joint has a similar mode of failure.

Different construction - much harder to pull out.
While we're on the subject of rose joints, what stops all the road crap from geting in & grinding them to bits?

macnab

posted on 27/2/07 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
You can buy covers to keep the dirt out. I'm not sure if there is a minimum grade of rose joint required for suspension use as they vary enormously in quality.

takumi

posted on 27/2/07 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
You can get neoprene boot covers for them , like a mini gaitor. But as I was saying the the salesman at AutoSport (from the company I bought the from) the neoprene rubber boot (2 halfs top/bottom) costs about the same as a new rose joint.

I suppose you could paint some silicone rubber over it, and you've got a completely sealed unt.. perhaps..

Dusty

posted on 27/2/07 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
You might need to check the taper on the bottom ball joint shaft and the sierra hub carrier hole it fits into are the same.
takumi

posted on 27/2/07 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
as i said, - its an old photo. they are now reamed out and fit much much better - and bolted up, -

reamed using the axminster reamer. - an excellent product.

Peteff

posted on 27/2/07 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
what stops all the road crap from geting in & grinding them to bits?

No road crap gets thrown up there, it all goes down the side of the car and on the rear arches and driver, why should they get dirty to the extent that it grinds them to bits realistically speaking ? The boots will keep as much dirt in as they keep out if that is the case.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

MikeRJ

posted on 27/2/07 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by takumi
You can get neoprene boot covers for them , like a mini gaitor. But as I was saying the the salesman at AutoSport (from the company I bought the from) the neoprene rubber boot (2 halfs top/bottom) costs about the same as a new rose joint.

You can get a rubber boot that fits over the entire rose joint, and they aren't too pricey e.g. http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=4326

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.